forum changes

MoparKevUk

Hello Men! New upgrade has ruined my use of AFO! Pre yesterday searching latest posts got me in the ball park on what was the go. EG All latest posts to topics were shown. Now I have all the latest posts for each topic, EG if a post is hot I'll have a page of latest posts for that topic making browsing very hard. The new latest topic tag just shows topics recently started. IE to see any replies for the Blakesleys topic I'll have to trawl 12hrs back in the latest post section or go to the categories section (if I knew what category it was in) or search and hope the spelling is correct. If I forget that I've posted in something it is impossible to find. Is there a website setting I can use to go back to the old easy way of browsing? If everyone else is ok with the new set up I'll live with it. Can't link from "your posts" in my profile, get error 404 either. Not sure what other upgrades were done but thanks for all the work put in by the Site Geeks. B)B)

And, I just figured out how the latest topic tab works. It is ranking topics by most recent creation date rather than most recent reply.

The latest posts tab shows the most recent replies, but it shows EVERY recent reply rather than condensing.

And, I just figured out how the latest topic tab works. It is ranking topics by most recent creation date rather than most recent reply.

The latest posts tab shows the most recent replies, but it shows EVERY recent reply rather than condensing.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say Gary! B)

IE!

I am sure this is a setting that can be altered when Webby gets a chance.

Relax.

The pre upgraded version was showing bugs and would have caused far bigger issues than this if not amended.

Look out the window! Go fishing and all should be well upon your return :P

Angus

Thats exactly what I was trying to say Gary! B)

IE!

It needed an american to interperit what you were saying Kev, speak queens english for gods sake. ;)

it sucks

That was helpful thanks.

Care to elaborate?

Its actually no different visually and functionally except for the fact that there is now both a "Latest Topics" and "Latest Posts" tab.

With this comes a far greater capacity for a much larger number of people to be logged in at one with no lag. In short... Almost the same as before but faster, more stable and dramatically less chance of the site dropping out due to data base load...

it sucks

That was helpful thanks.

Care to elaborate?

Its actually no different visually and functionally except for the fact that there is now both a "Latest Topics" and "Latest Posts" tab.

With this comes a far greater capacity for a much larger number of people to be logged in at one with no lag. In short... Almost the same as before but faster, more stable and dramatically less chance of the site dropping out due to data base load...

my bad jumped the gun it's not as bad as first thought actually it's alot better

cheers

Phew. I jumped the gun as well I realise that came across maybe ruder than I intended.

Should of had a smiley :) after "That was helpful thanks".

We don't mind constructive crit as it can help us achieve goals. Just statements with no explanation don't help much at all :)

Not liking it but i do understand that if this makes it more manageable for admin

This is why in my opinion is for fishing events and socials etc planned days, weeks and months before hand it will be hard to find again. Also for those that have just logged on and are unaware of such events it will be harder for them to ever find out about without doing alot of searching if it hasn't bobbed up for a while. I believe the old system helped actavate new members to be more involved in the site with such events easy to find on the forum and read then reply and join in

Please feel free to alay my concerns or add your thoughts here with replies

Angus,

Currently we have:

Latest Thread (by time)

Latest Post (by time)

The only issue (I believe) with Latest Posts is it shows every post, meaning a very active thread may dominate the Latest Posts section.

If possible, I think a Latest Thread (by Post) would be ideal (like what we used to have).

I realise that angus let me explain myself a bit better if you have started a thread a while ago it will be many pages old on the latest topics page and under the latest posts page it may not show up for many pgges away if it has only been used just a day ago for example because there may be many replies to just a few threads recently so it will be many many pages old on both latest cats unless you are continually bumping it in the latest posts page

I think fishing comps and socials organised by both admin and members will suffer with new members and old members not finding out about them if they don not log on regularly and activity which did increase with many latest fishing socilas which has stood out to many of us will now decline in my opinion

i hope this helps explains my rambling

Agree with tugger. If one of those touchy subjects pop up you will need to troll through 5 pages of posts on the same thread before getting to a new thread. An event post or similar may be way down the list still on the latest threads tab because it was posted monthes ago.

I like having the 'latest topics' tab, I think I often miss a thread because it gets pushed down the page by for sale and politics threads, however it would be helpful if the 'latest posts' only showed 1 post from each topic, the way 'latest posts' used to... if that makes any sense! haha

Now that I've had the day to get used to it, it is not so bad. I do think that the Latest Post tab needs to condense by topic topic though.

I rarely use the Categories tab, so I'm betting that it runs off the basic code of any BBS and there is little or no change to that.

loving the latest topics, makes it so easy to find different threads from the last few days,

dont think i'll use latest posts much though, too much repetition of the same thread

very handy for just want to look for new threads or find threads from the last few days .

I have had to save 'Latest Topics' in my favourites instead of 'Latest posts'... Outrageous!! :whistle: ;);)

Doing that fixed it for me as well. Was totally confusing with a great list of posts all in the same topic staring at me when I logged on.

Ooer spoke to soon, latest topics now seems to be in random order, cant find latest posts setting, I've done broked it!

Archived