Securing your load

tomartomau

There is a bit of attention lately towards items not being secured in and around a boat, and secondly not using a 'flag' for outboards that exceed the maximum distance from the rear of the trailer. I have had a bit of a read of different people's experiences and apparently a few people are being fined. There appears that there might be differing interpretation of what needs to be secured.

I have a few questions;

1. The anchor is in a well at the front, IT is attached to a rope but does this require additional securing?

2. Items that are held in the side pockets of the boat (aluminium), are they secured adequately?

3.Also, I use a fluro hard hat attachment over the prop, (the ring that goes over a hard hat for sun protection)I hope that is adequate.

Any advice as to the best way to ensure a $150.00 per item does not apply if pulled over?

If the reports are to be believed one tradesman recently was fined for an esky, and one pair of thongs (x2) that is 3 counts of items not secured (sourced from another prominent fishing website). Does this mean that lifejackets are to be stored more securely, mine are tucked behind the rear bench seat.

Cheers

/>http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5458/pic1fw.jpg

/>http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2796/20130406163824.jpg

/>http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8938/20130406163846.jpg

They are definately clamping down on unsecured items,i do know of someone being fined for unsecured items you will notice that more utes are now using cargo nets. as far as unsecured items in your boat the problem that you have is that it comes down to personal opinion of whether the items are safely secured, and the police officers opinion is always going to beat yours. Sounds a bit silly but maybe it's getting to the stage that a cargo net over a small open boat isn't a bad idea for peace of mind. As far as a flag over the prop is concerned i may be wrong but i always thought the colour of the flag had to be red and you need one for anything that is 1m past the lights of the trailer, this may not be correct as i haven't researched it in a long time

cheers

If any part of your load protrudes more than 1.2m from the rear of a trailer, you must have a 450 x 450 flag on it. There are other rules about how far it can overhang etc, but boat trailers have the axles that far back they are not relevant. Link to the relevant guides below.

/>http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Loads%20and%20towing/Safe%20towing/Safe_towing_guide.pdf
/>http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Loads%20and%20towing/Projecting%20loads/Pdf_projecting_loads_brochure.pdf

I have heard they have some creative definitions of what the rear of the trailer is in the case of boat trailers, so apparently it is all pretty grey, involving lots of loot for "Can Sackem".

Your boat and everything inside it is classed as a load therefore everything needs to be secured or covered with a tarp or some sort of netting.

This includes the boat being tied/strapped securely to the trailer.

Same applies for inside the back of a uterus.

it would be interesting to observe a police officer stick his head in there,looking for a loose load :pinch:

I was told by a friend that if the sides of the trailer or ute exceed 280mm and the load you are carrying is not over this you dont need to secure it I'll have to look into that one as it could be incorrect. Is there a particular site you can look at for this info or are we best off ringing the relevant authorities as there would be many of us in this boat pardon the pun

I was told by a friend that if the sides of the trailer or ute exceed 280mm and the load you are carrying is not over this you dont need to secure it I'll have to look into that one as it could be incorrect. Is there a particular site you can look at for this info or are we best off ringing the relevant authorities as there would be many of us in this boat pardon the pun

Incorrect....

Incorrect....

Hey booty.

Is there actually a place where i can find the legislation for load securing?

I have had a look and can't find it. Its probably staring me in the face.

As I see it I have a few choices;

1. Buy a bit of trawler net to cover the entire boat, including the anchor well and connect it with a bit of stretch cord and then attach to trailer.

2. Take anchor off boat (with rope) and use a normal box trailer net and attach to the entire cabin (the boat is only a 4.75m runabout)

I think I will go with number 2 as this is the least effort, costs less for the most return. I could attach some sort of cover to the anchor well to avoid removing the anchor whish will probably save me taking off the anchor.

As I see it I have a few choices;

1. Buy a bit of trawler net to cover the entire boat, including the anchor well and connect it with a bit of stretch cord and then attach to trailer.

2. Take anchor off boat (with rope) and use a normal box trailer net and attach to the entire cabin (the boat is only a 4.75m runabout)

I think I will go with number 2 as this is the least effort, costs less for the most return. I could attach some sort of cover to the anchor well to avoid removing the anchor whish will probably save me taking off the anchor.

If the end of the anchor rope is tied to the boat it is already attached :P:P:P

cant really blame the boys in blue for cracking down on this .. as of late i have seen 3 mattresses and a leather sofa on the road ( misses would not let me stop and grab them ) + a wheel barrow fell of a truck and bounced right over her car only just missing going through the wind screen . i guess alot comes down to new utes not haveing tie down points compulsary .

How about a young (18yo) concretor working near us who had a milk crate screwed to his ute floor with a 12mm plywood lid hinged to it. He threw his gumboots into it after work and was pulled up, inspected and fined because the lid did not have a catch.....You can imagine how much respect he now has for the constabulary.

There is unsecured and there is unsecured.

I have a full cover for my tinny now. No donations to the LNP from me.

Cheers

Restraining loads (Department of Transport and Main Roads)www.tmr.qld.gov.au › ... › Loads and towing

I dont know how to high light the correct page with the computer but I did find a page under restraining loads which still leaves things a bit grey for understanding fully the rules under which these police are fining people if only the govt made it a bit easier to research this I hope this helps

I think the original question was asked as people are getting fined even before an accident when there cars are pulled over and the backs of utes and trailers are inspected and found to be unsatisfactory with load security an they want to prevent this before the sometimes over zealous police officers fine them

The base line is: if something loose in the back of your ute,truck,trailer,boat falls/flies out when travelling or when involved in an accident,and someone gets hurt or worse, your responsible.

I think the original question was asked as people are getting fined even before an accident when there cars are pulled over and the backs of utes and trailers are inspected and found to be unsatisfactory with load security an they want to prevent this before the sometimes over zealous police officers fine them

The base line is: if something loose in the back of your ute,truck,trailer,boat falls/flies out when travelling or when involved in an accident,and someone gets hurt or worse, your responsible.

moral of the story was: don`t have anything loose, because if it`s loose/unsecured, and you are pulled over and get fined,your responsible...you didn`t secure it! nothing to do with 'over zealous' police doing random safety inspections

I should have expanded my post with the over zealous police fining people as I personally know someone who was fined $7000 dollars as they fined him for each unsecured item in his ute which included a pair of sand shoes, a tennis ball etc this police officer was unreasonable with him and has just about bankrupted my friend who is just a young fella starting out in life I guess he will eventually bounce back but it looks like he'll have to sell his car and bludge lifts to work

I would also call it over zealous when a cop fines someone twice for having a pair of rubber thongs in his ute unsecured.

Fair enough one fine for a pair of thongs but not a fine for each thong.

There is also talk on Ausfish of a lady being fined for a handbag sitting on the seat of her car.

That would make ever female driver including coppers wives guilty of having an unsecured load.

You can bet just about every cop car on the road has books,folders,sunnies and their poofy hats sitting unsecured in their cars as well.

I should have expanded my post with the over zealous police fining people as I personally know someone who was fined $7000 dollars as they fined him for each unsecured item in his ute which included a pair of sand shoes, a tennis ball etc this police officer was unreasonable with him and has just about bankrupted my friend who is just a young fella starting out in life I guess he will eventually bounce back but it looks like he'll have to sell his car and bludge lifts to work

Mate that is criminal. Wtf are coppers doing to people these days all in the name of raising revenue just to cover gillards arse cos her idiot coin counters can't work out a mining tax :angry:

Hey Julia...... Help yourself to my super and fine the shizzle out of me for bull shtz misdemeanors then when my shop gets broken into or I need a copper to come check out a break and enter that's cool, ill wait three days for them to turn up, no dramas :whistle:

So fn over it

I`m glad I live in Bootys` police area,they sound like real pricks over your way :lol:

A question for the brains trust, with the safety/compliance targeting going on, if boating fishos go out and buy a Crazy Clarks $10-15 blue tarp and/or a $15 stretchy trailer net and cover their boats with these,is the loose gear (anchors,tackle boxes,eskys,cast nets etc)still in the boat,classed as safely secured or just hidden from sight if your pulled over for inspection.

That's a bullshiz rule, fining for each item, you don't get fined for each km/h over the limit .

I'm pretty sure people would get the drift if they were pinched $150 total for all loose items,

No wonder they get a bad rap and attitudes from the general public!!

its easy for some........ while i dont like giving money away if i dont have to , i put all my gear in the back of my car and never have gear in the boat... that way it cant get pinched at lights or when parked up gettin ya lunch..nothing loose in the boat but loose in the car... if i hit something or someone id be more worried about what i hit rather than my rods...but "touch wood" ive never had an issue!

you don't get fined for each km/h over the limit .

Not each km over but the faster you go, the more it costs you.

As a motorcyclist I may have a lower tolerance for the she'll be right attitude of load security, but the carnage stuff flying off on the highway can cause, I am all for a decent punishment to discourage laziness.

On the other hand, you can glass someone in the pub and get away with it using the I was drunk, or forgot I was holding the glass when I punched him excuse. There needs to be some sort of fairness of punishment for varying levels of mischief.

Wonder what are the actual circumstances of the totaling of each individual items.

Did someone arc up and got someones back up?

Seen that happen more than once.

Noticed how all new wagons and hatch backs now have retractable luggage covers and nets in the back?

How many people actually use them and how many rip them out?

Cheers

Ray

Hey Steve, you can blame Julia for the mining tax and for the changes to super (glad to hear you are in the lucky position of earning over 100k interest per annum on your nest egg :woohoo: ) but the coppers are the responsibility of the state, so you might have to talk to Campbell about the fines and misdemeanours. I have come across a few over zealous police in my time, but gotta say that generally they do a pretty hard job well, considering what they cop from the public. Not having a go at you personally, Steve, just getting my own 2 bob in. I would hate to be responsible for a fatal accident on the highway because I forgot about that bucket bouncing around in the boat.

Mate that is criminal. Wtf are coppers doing to people these days all in the name of raising revenue just to cover gillards arse cos her idiot coin counters can't work out a mining tax :angry:

Hey Julia...... Help yourself to my super and fine the shizzle out of me for bull shtz misdemeanors then when my shop gets broken into or I need a copper to come check out a break and enter that's cool, ill wait three days for them to turn up, no dramas :whistle:

So fn over it

Well after being issued a fine for unsecured load I now take precautions. Qld diesel spares sell the green trawler net style cargo nets for trucks and utes there 50 bucks. And for the boat I went to bunnings and bought 4mtrs of bird netting (it's rather heavy duty) and 9mtrs of 8mm shock cord for 35 bucks. The net is very covenient after crabing I just put the net on and drive away. I save so much time not having to worry about stowing the floats away or the empty buckets which did have bait in them blowing around and out. I even leave my straw hat chucked on the floor.

I was going to sew and vulcanise a kickarse vynil boat cover but feared I might get a fine for obstruction of vision if it were to ballon out a few inches obstructing my side vision in the mirrors so I went with the net style. Iam glad I did its way more compact and quicker to fit.

I'm hearing a lot of first hand reports of coppers fining people for minor infringements lately and there's been many occasions I've had cause to ask assistance from police and been all but denied.

You can't even ring a local cop shop anymore cos they've got Policelink so instead of talking to someone with local knowledge you're forced to go through a switchboard and explain your concern to someone god knows where . So yeah it gets my back up to hear of people getting ludicrous fines for a minor offence.

Fine the truck drivers along m1 for dropping rocks all over the road and damaging people's cars before fining some bloke for a tennis ball in his ute tray........

And I wasn't aware that gillard has set so high a threshold for taxing super interest so thankyou for setting me straight on that one steve

Copy of email that is doing the rounds.

Subject: POLICE Fines in Queensland.. Be careful..more revenue..

NEW Qld Road Rules as of now!!!!

$256 + 0 points Driving with person or animal on lap

$44 + 0 points Reversing for longer than necessary

$256 + 1 point Following another vehicle too closely

$256 + 0 points Driving without a clear view in all directions

$66 + 2 points Driving in right-hand lane of a multi-lane road with an 80km/h or higher limit

$44 + 0 points Entering an intersection when the road beyond is blocked

$44 + 0 points Parking/stopping within 10m of an intersection without a traffic light

$88 + 0 points Making a U-turn at an intersection controlled by lights

$198 + 3 points Making a U-turn across a single or double continuous line

$352 + 2 points Playing loud music

$66 + 0 points Tooting the horn

$330 + 3 points Using mobile phone including use by cyclists

$44 + 0 points Leaving vehicle without handbrake left on

Having Sat Nav in an impeding position - supposed to be in bottom right hand in front of driver

Failing to have a hand on the wheel while stopped at lights

Cheers

Ray

Archived