How does a jewfish fight?

dantt

Just wondering if those that have caught these fish before could shed some light on how jewfish fight?

Fishing at harries on Sunday with every other man and their dog had these experiences.

Live baits would go mental for a few seconds then nothing, live bait gone. No bite at all like a snapper would, we just watched the rod tip go crazy for a few seconds then nothing.

The one I am most interested in was a big run I had. It was a flesh bait right on the bottom, really fast run, similar to when a mackerel takes it's first run. Got a bit of line back on it, and it ran again, unfortunately up the front and wrapped itselt around our anchor rope nearly cutting through the thing. Snapped itself off in the process. Wasn't fishing overly light either with 30lb braid on the daiwa saltist 6500, drag was pretty firm and this thing was stripping line like no tomorrow. Could it have been a shark maybe?

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Just wondering if those that have caught these fish before could shed some light on how jewfish fight?

Fishing at harries on Sunday with every other man and their dog had these experiences.

Live baits would go mental for a few seconds then nothing, live bait gone. No bite at all like a snapper would, we just watched the rod tip go crazy for a few seconds then nothing.

The one I am most interested in was a big run I had. It was a flesh bait right on the bottom, really fast run, similar to when a mackerel takes it's first run. Got a bit of line back on it, and it ran again, unfortunately up the front and wrapped itselt around our anchor rope nearly cutting through the thing. Snapped itself off in the process. Wasn't fishing overly light either with 30lb braid on the daiwa saltist 6500, drag was pretty firm and this thing was stripping line like no tomorrow. Could it have been a shark maybe?

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

May have been a big jewie. The take is almost like a dead weight at first, you just feel the line to tight, then they take off. 2-3 big runs and thats them spent most of the time in my experience. Could have been anything though.

I find a lot of bay snapper run up the current at my boat.. could have been a solid snap

Also had a really big fight with a shovelnose out there a few weeks back that i was calling for tuna at first because it pulled hard.

As for the livies dissapearing I would also say tailor when they are thick its quite annoying.

Cheers guys, I haven't caught huge snapper at harries biggest one going 58 but this was definitely a different fight and having never caught a jew wondered if I could have been on one. Try again this weekend I guess and see if I can get one up!

serrguht were you out there sunday morning alseep in your center console? Thought I saw one that looked like yours, who ever it was there was 3 guys asleep must have been out all night

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Mulloway or Jew like bunches of worms on a hook, tailor fillets, sea gar, pipies, live mullet. They like the top of the tide or bottom of the tide. They like being in structures or in crevices especially on the south part of Flat Rock. We dived there and must have been 30 of them 30 to 60 pound. We also find them in reefs north of Great Keppel. Depths range from rivers to deep water reefs. When they hit they can be timid. small bites etc to just taking off with the line. Most of the time they will spit the bait out if they feel weight. Freespolling would be ideal. Let them run for 3-5 seconds. Then strike.They have a decent mouth so good size circle hook ideal.They usually have a big first run. In beach fishing I have had them run for 200 metres straight out then change as the get tired. Line strength will vary from 10 kg to 25 kg. Depending on size of fish try to stop them from getting back to their lair. Otherwise good luck with them 

If this is Harries, this could be the resident Dolphins which are very smart at delicately taking livies without getting hooked.

From what you described  "live baits would go mental for a few seconds then nothing, live bait gone. No bite at all like a snapper would, we just watched the rod tip go crazy for a few seconds then nothing" this is exactly what happens when the dolphins are around. Anything on the sounder? You can usually spot them clearly.

Add to the fact that this tends to happen often when Harries is a car park, the dolphins will just hang around looking for a cheap meal from the boat to boat (or next mug :))