Moreton Bay Classic: My experience over 3 days

Shane69

Id like to start of by thanking Angus, John, sponsors and everyone who helped organise such a great event. Also like to thank my mates who came out with me and stuck it out there in rain and windy conditions

This was my first MBC i fished and what a great one it was.

Before the comp even started i had a plan to where i was going to fish but when i saw weather friday i decided to gamble and go fish the notheren bay when weather is good and fish southeren saturday and sunday.

We left port ramp and 12 and headed out in the bay. We fished mud on our bay for only undersize fish and few pike. We decided to catch pike which can later be turned into snapper.

After that we made our way to the beacons and we jigged all the beacons along moreton. We had a few hits on slugs and few live bait chopped up but no hookup.

We had a look at Capt nelson wreck but there was 2 boats on it so i decided to come back later and fish it.

We went and anchored up on a beacon where we got heaps of slimies. We kept most of them alive and iced heaps to be used later.

We floated out lives out in different debts in hope for anything cruising in the chanel. We berlied out pillchards as we waited. Hours went past without a hit and when finally when we had a run i pulled hooks half way in fight. It was a big longtail. It was frustrating.

After that we decided to get more live bait and go sound around bulwer ledge and come fish curtain for sunset. Id like to thanks a few people who told me how to fish bulwer.

As night came and we still hadnt caught anything. We anchored, berlied and also drifted with livies. It was so frustrating because we tried everything.By 11pm i looked at the boys and said " i just dont know anymore we have tried everything, do you guys want to go home, theres no fish". We decided to wait another 30 min and just leave.

This is when things changed. My rod buckled with live slimie over and i was on to a good fish. I didnt know what it was.it pulled a bit of line until i went sunset on 80lb gear dragged it in. As it came close we saw the fish and it was a big jew. I let go of drag a bit while my mate got the gaff ready. As he gaffed it in the other 2 rods went off same time. I quickly grabbed the gaff of him and let them fight their fish.

They both dragged their fish in too on heavey gear.10k stella 80lb and 18k twin power with 80lb. So after fishing over 10 hours for nothing to show for we had 3 big jew in boat in 5 minutes. This lightened us up. After this none of us wanted to go home. We stuck out at the spot for bit and started picking up squire. It wasnt a hot bite but we were slowly getting fish.

We decided to try curtain . We anchored up and just berlied out. The current wasnt too bad so we started floating livies down our berley trial. It wasnt long since the kingies showed up. We got 1 up out of 5 hits. we got smoked on heavey gear. we upped our leader to 130lb and still couldnt get them up on sunset. They were really big fish and they were hitting to low in the water collum.

After that i decided to drop a live slimie with big sinker to see if i can get a big cod. the minute the sinker hit the bottom i was on. Good head shakes. I knew it was a good snap i took my time and up came a nice snapper. We all did the same and we got 4 good snap until the current became ridiclious to fish. We werent getting down with size 10 ball sinkers.

We decided to move again. We were low on livies so we hit beacon again for livies. Being night time we had bait on the jigs. We didnt get any livies but got a couple bludger trevelly. This was worth it as they were a target species in comp. After a few photos he got a few hooks in him and was out all night in hope for big cod.

We went and tried capt nelson again but this time i sounded around and found some fish and we dropped livies and fresh slimies. we got few more squire again.

We decided to go back to fish Bulwer ledge again. This time we anchored in a bit deeper water and dropped baits down. Again we caught more squire and i hooked a good spangle and a good grassy and my mate got cracker moses.

By now it was about 5am so we decided get off anchor and start drifting.

It became slow again and we werent losing a single bait.

As the sun came up the wind picked up too. We decided to start making our way back. The wind vs tide was bad. It took ages to get back. We went drifted around mud agan for bit in hope to catch bream and parrot but no luck.

We made our way towards river again until i spotted school of mack tuna just at mouth. They were so frustrating. They would not hit anything. we even stopped infront of a school and floated livies as school went past.

They were feeding on really small white bait.

After that we went home. The plan was to go sleep rest of day and go back out and fish harries and peel at mid night through morning. This didnt happen as i didnt wake up till 12am. I made few phone calls but no one picked up so i decided to go back to sleep.

Woke up 6.ooam again and gave Jeremey call and he was keep to go hit up some snaps, whiting squid and bream. We decided to take his boat out as he has electric motor now. We got a few whiting before wind got up and we had to come back in. We fished for bream and flathead around cleveland point but no legals.

So all up i spent around 25-30 hours on the water easy. It was a tough out there in all sort of weather. We pulled up in the end. We berlied over 10kg pillchards on Friday night. I reckon that helped us alot and fishing livies and fresh slimies.

All up a really good comp and im buggered after it now.

We fished hard and put in alot of effort and got rewarded in the end.

Here are some photos of my catch from weekend.

Shane

post-9281-144598975797_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975813_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975823_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975835_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975845_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975855_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975865_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598975875_thumb.jpg

Congrats mate. You were always a favorite to win, or at least place by the punters and it is clearly due to the time and effort put in.

I plan on getting onto the Summer Classic and MBC prize pools soon for next year so we can have some truly worth while stuff to entice some of this stiff competition, plus plenty of lucky doors for the punters :)

Angus

Congratulations, Shane, reading your report I can see that you really deserved to win. All about reward for effort. Some great fish there. :woohoo: :woohoo: Now if you can just talk Jeremy into taking you to Clear Mountain Lodge to really complete the weekend ;)

Well done Shane, massive hours pays off,

I stayed at clear mtn lodge over the weekend!! Nice place that!

Cheers for the comments guys.

It was certainly hard out there over weekend. We didnt catch many fish for time we put in but we got quality. I wish we could have ticked few more species off though.

I put in alot of effort in planning from before as i really wanted to do well.

I prefished two weeks before wenesday, last tuesday arvo and wenesday arvo just to get a feel of it and find out when prime times are and where bait is.

We had the freshest bait also. We fished heavey because i didnt want to lose fish too.

Il be honest there were times i even doubted myself if i made mistake going up notheren bay as i knew i could have got big snap and jew easy at harries.

Ps the only reason i came back saturday day was to get my wisdom tooth pulled out. I tried to stall it over weekend but the pain was too much. I think i had had over 20 pain killers on friday night.

Shane

Hey Shane Well Done On the Jewies Mate,

Did you Get the Spangle in the Bay Or Offshore Mate,

AS I know there is only a few Spots in the Bay where you can Manage a Spangle that Size ,

Neilson is a Funny Place At the Best Of Times, Good to See a few Good snaps getting around too

Cheers

Josh

Hey Shane Well Done On the Jewies Mate,

Did you Get the Spangle in the Bay Or Offshore Mate,

AS I know there is only a few Spots in the Bay where you can Manage a Spangle that Size ,

Neilson is a Funny Place At the Best Of Times, Good to See a few Good snaps getting around too

Cheers

Josh

Cheers mate.

We got all our fish in bay mate.

Yeah it was my second time fishing capt nelson. I didnt even know it existed until i saw few guys on face book bragging about it.

We didnt get big snap there. We got him at curtain.

Shane

Archived