Who needs a rod?

Luvit

Last night became one of the most memorable fishing trips I've had for a couple of reasons. I planned to hit the Brissy but with the wind forecast we hit the Pine river instead.

My son James joined me and we headed off to catch some fresh mullet for bait. We were stalking surface mullet with an 8ft cast net and caught a couple of mullet for bait. Then I threw the net and all hell broke loose.

My net was snagged but there was a fair bit of commotion in the net. I could believe my eyes as I looked down to see a Barramundi struggling to get free. I pulled the net up as far as it would come and slipped the landing net under it. I couldn't get the cast net free so cut it off as best I could.

Our excitement was unbelievable, I had never heard of a Barra this far south being caught. We cut it free from the cast net and took some happy snaps on the phone before releasing her. Really wish I'd taken a decent camera.

Coming in at 70cm she was magnificent.

post-11868-144599053541_thumb.jpg

James

post-11868-144599053547_thumb.jpg

Dad

post-11868-144599053551_thumb.jpg

We hadn't even started fishing or crabbing yet and we were satisfied.

Then the release. Hope she has a mate near by to establish a stock.

post-11868-14459905357_thumb.jpg

There was next to no wind on the river.

post-11868-144599053556_thumb.jpg

Crabbing.

We did 2 drops of the pots for 7 keepers and most were full and others not quite but still good crabs. Thanks to Samsteel115 for donating some tuna scraps for bait. ;)

Here is James with one of the larger beasts.

post-11868-14459905356_thumb.jpg

A fantastic way to spend a long week end with one of my sons. Experiencing something quite rare together I expect.

post-11868-144599053565_thumb.jpg

thanks for reading

Wayne

Category should be SE Queensland not Victoria. don't know hat happened there. Maybe a mod could fix this for me please?

Awesome surprise Wayne and good to see it released, good work on the muddies too.......as mentioned they (barra) have been caught down the Coomera and they are not a fluke, there is a small group of guys in the know that go down and target them and catch them on a regular basis.....they are also caught quite regularly in another local river near by that shal remain nameless.....and no it's not me that is catching them :(......interestingly, allot of the captures down here seem to be through the winter months.......much like threadies...

Nice fish guys and a very welcome surprise indeed.

There is quite a lot of Barra around these days since all the flooding up North (that's where I believe they mostly came from)

They are now in the Coomera,Nerang,Broadwater and its canals,Logan,Brisbane River,Pine,Caboulture,Noosa and the Mooloolaba River and its canals.

I know one person caught 2 small ones in one throw of a cast net last year in the Logan River at Skinners.

Hopefully when these smaller males change sex we may get some small breeding populations happening, especially in the Noosa catchment where there is 1m plus female Barra residing already.

Thanks fella's and for the additional info on the other areas they have been caught.

I set up for a feast and a bourbon unfortunately had no friends to join me but my neighbour volunteered to help me. ;)

post-11868-14459905364_thumb.jpg

Here is my neighbour's young one hoeing into a crab.

post-11868-144599053644_thumb.jpg

PS no problems Jon any good news?

Geez if you originally posted it as 'Victoria' any mexican readers on this forum would have got VERY excited when they first opened this thread Wayne ........... Fantastic effort and as others have said, well done on releasing it (I'd like to think I would but one never knows until it happens .....). Great feed of muddies too. Seeing that table set with all the crabs and bourbon and no-one to share it with I'm going to assume you have lost my number .......................... will PM it again ......... Nice work mate and even better that you could share it with your young fella - can't wait to get mine fishing, not too far off now.

It's one of the bests things to share with your kids, a common passion.

You don't want to wish there lives away when their young but, when they get to this age and they tie their own knots, pull the crab pots up and land a fish by themselves it worth the wait.

Your time will come soon enough. ;)

Anyone can be my friend if they bring a bottle of wild turkey honey with them. :lol:

It's one of the bests things to share with your kids, a common passion.

You don't want to wish there lives away when their young but, when they get to this age and they tie their own knots, pull the crab pots up and land a fish by themselves it worth the wait.

Your time will come soon enough. ;)

Anyone can be my friend if they bring a bottle of wild turkey honey with them. :lol:

It is awesome to share the passion with the boys but the cost go up by 3

Can't sneeze at 30cm+ bream, that's good going.

Did you drop any pots?

I didn't report it but we also picked up a dozen or so sand crabs of male & females. I prefer the muddies though so they all went back. They were more towards the mouth of the river if your looking for them.

Na couldn't be bothered + I didn't have any frames for them. I try avoid buying bait when I can.

We didn't have a issue catching undersized sandies on the line, they are everywhere.

We poked up some of the creeks and saw some very decent holes and it looks very crabby too.

This weekend, especially Friday night is the day to go out. Same i got heaps on this weekend.

Here's a pic of the bream

post-10385-144599053961_thumb.jpg

Archived