A Mary River Cod at last!!!

bersim

Steve (fenelious) and I decided to head out and explore a new waterway yesterday and after a bit of time on google maps found a nice looking spot. We were both very keen to see what lurked in the snags and decided to start with cod lollies :P I started out with an impact tackle spinnerbait and Steve went with a cod type hardbody. For the cloudy and quite cool conditions we had, the session started out very well with Steve dropping a fish and me getting a solid hit.

After paddling a bit more we came to a really nice dead tree in the water with a 'V' shaped branch coming out. I took the risk and threw a cast into this crevice and when I started to retrieve my spinnerbait I felt a nice "whack" and hooked up to a fish! After manoeuvring her out from the snags and into open water we both saw a flash of green and knew straight away it was a cod :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I then scooped her into the net and to say the least, I was stoked to have caught my first ever Mary River Cod!!!! So I guess this is what the famous Nearly Cod looks like :P

post-11154-144599088401_thumb.jpg

Not a huge cod but a cod all the same!

post-11154-144599088412_thumb.jpg

Safely released her back into the water after only a few very quick photos

post-11154-144599088422_thumb.jpg

We kept on paddling picking up yellas as we went. The final tally of yellas was 2 each with Steve getting a super golden 45cm one. He got bricked by it at the start but his "never lose a lure" instinct kicked in and he jumped out of the canoe into the water and unwrapped it from the snag :P

post-11154-144599088432_thumb.jpg

We were both using spinnerbaits now and we picked up 2 yellas in 2 casts! I released mine and then Steve hooked up!

post-11154-144599088441_thumb.jpg

We then got 2 more yellas and then hit the bass. Got 4 from the 1 little spot and by this stage it was 6.10pm and we knew that if we didn't head back soon we would be home even later than we had said.

post-11154-144599088451_thumb.jpg

post-11154-144599088461_thumb.jpg

post-11154-144599088471_thumb.jpg

post-11154-144599088482_thumb.jpg

One more of the cod :P

post-11154-144599088527_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for such an epic trip Steve! I'll never forget the feeling of catching my first Mary. Also thanks Ryan Young (even though this was a few years back) for recommending some lures to use on the cod!

James

Nice work, James. You truly are dedicated. I think you have caught a bigger variety of fish in the last couple of years than I have in 40 years. And you write well, too. I am sure your parents have bigger dreams for you, but I can see a day coming soon when we will see these reports featuring in some of the better fishing mags. Keep it up, mate, some of us are living vicariously through your fishing exploits. :cheer:

Thanks for the kind words! I just love the environments that some of these fish take to and many of the fish caught there will never be forgotten. I probably won't be able to do quite as much fishing next year as it will be grade 11 and the work load will definitely increase. I'll try to head out so I can get a report up regularly though! As Steve said yesterday, this cod now gives me a lot of room to increase my PB soon!

James

Thanks guys! Yeah it was very healthy and had a lovely green colour! Hopefully my next cod will be double that size :P

Well done on the new species. Another ticked off.

What's next the M/Jack?

Nope, Largemouth Bass!!!! On the 22nd my family is heading to America for 4 and a half weeks so hopefully I'll get the chance to fish for them. At the very least I'll be spending a day in the Bass Pro Shops in Vegas stocking up on all kinds of gear and lures!

James

After our last session where we only got 1 Bass each I was really happy to see James onto his first ever MRC, and the native treble to boot. A great session with us each landing 5 fish. Here's a couple of my late-in-the-session Bass, caught on a brand new American 'Picasso Invis-wire' spinnerbait, that allowed me to catch up to James' tally :)

-Steve.

post-4887-144599089001_thumb.jpg

post-4887-144599089012_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! Yeah it was very healthy and had a lovely green colour! Hopefully my next cod will be double that size :P

Well done on the new species. Another ticked off.

What's next the M/Jack?

Nope, Largemouth Bass!!!! On the 22nd my family is heading to America for 4 and a half weeks so hopefully I'll get the chance to fish for them. At the very least I'll be spending a day in the Bass Pro Shops in Vegas stocking up on all kinds of gear and lures!

James

James, Going to be anywhere near Virginia? We'll take you out if the weather cooperates.

• 2 months later...

Archived