What is the stupidist thing you ever did?

Feral

Reading Robski's post about the young fella's at North Pine today, reminded me of some of the sill things I did when I was younger. I thought it might be interesting to share stupid stories!

Worst by far was on a Station out near Longreach. Back in the late eighties a mate of mine's mother was dieing of Cancer, and they wanted to have one last family get together before she died. So I agreed to mind the property over christmas. 250,000 hectares of mixed sheep and cattle grazing country, ranging from desert to black soil flats.

Anyway I decided to check the water holes on the property the morning after my mate left.

Took the old Toyota and headed out. Got to the far end of the property, and found one of the bore drains blocked. I figured I would just cross the drain before getting the shovel out. Famous last words, done it many times, but misjudged it and bogged the toyota to the tray.

It was 10am, 45 degrees in the shade, and all I was wearing was boots and a pair of stubbies.

I new that no one would miss me, mate was not due back until new years eve, so I figured I would have to walk.

It was about 18k back to the house as the crow flies, but I had to travel via the water holes, so it was closer to 30k's. I new one of the stockman was still at the house, not heading in to town until early the next morning. If I did not get back to the house before he left, I figured I would be stuck there with no transport until New years day.

So pulled off my stubbies, put them over my head as a hat, and walked.

By the 3rd water trough, I was getting pretty worn out, and when I saw the dead sheep floating in the trough, just pulled it out and drank the water anyway. Not being melodramatic, but it was pretty much drink it or die. The troughs were only 2 or 3k's apart but in that temperature on foot, skipping one to go to the next one was not an option.

I got to the farmhouse at 10pm that night. Longest walk of my life! Pretty badly sun burnt, dehydrated, feet blistered badly.

Got the stockman to run me into town in the morning, borrowed a Grader from another mate and went and pulled out the Toyota. The Grader only just pulled it out!

I should have waited until dark to walk, but was worried over a silly thing like being stuck on the farm for 6 or 7 days with no transport. I had a phone there, could have got someone to come and get me, but did not even think of that option. I should have let the Stockman know what I was doing before I left, he would have come looking for me. Should of worn a shirt and carried a water bottle. All the small coulda's and shoulda's that would have saved me!

So thats the Stupidest thing I ever did!

I can't really remember what my stupedist thing ever was, but for fishing, it would have to be at Shultz. Once I was trying to be tricky and flick my favorite lure in between some trees, but I wasn't accurate enough and it went straight into a low over hanging branch:(. I couldn't shake it off, so I had to go in and it was deeper than I thought (up to my sternum). Luckly I got it off but I was terrified of a Shark coming as the tree was making the water splash all around me. I'm fine tho:D

Nothing to bad yet.

After reading Rocket post it reminded me of something else. I was up in Cairns and was running along some slippery rocks after a fish (grade 3:D). I fell and broke my nose, cracked my 2 front teeth (adult teeth as well:() and nearly broke my neck as I landed in a crevass.

Then there was the time I tryed to polevault over a tennis net using a bit of bamboo (grade 4 I think). The bamboo broke, and so did my nose (again...:()

Learning by experience can really suck!

Some people live and learn, other people just live, some are unlucky and don't get a second chance to do either.

My most stupid thing would be looking over my shoulder to give cheek to some older fellas whilst speeding downhill on my brand new (that day) 10 speed racer.

Head turned, hands turned too, rode straight into a parked trailer.

Over the handle bars I went bounced of the trailer and hit the road.

Totaled the bike, bruises, grazes, knocked out and broke two of my front teeth.

I was lucky (thanks mun and dad) that I had a helmet on, otherwise it might have been a lot worse.

Rocket

Hmmm so many to list...

I'd probably say walking through unknown terrain at the five week school camp last year, underneath the small dormitory was a place we called 'underworld', it was full of bats and peoples names that had gone in before. Scary little place with an entrance 50cm wide and high. I went in at night with one of my mates to see who could stay in the longest, no torches, we got in,then my mate heard some hissing noise and thought it was just me mucking around until it was hissing whilst i was speaking. We were starting to get a bit freaked then all the bats flew out and we legged it. We went back in the next day with appropriate lighting and found not one but two snakes, a red belly black and a python. eeep!

Feral, that's a real survivor story if ever I've heard one. It must have felt like as similar situation to Burke and Wills, or something...?

I'm pretty careful with everything I do and calculate the risk to a high degree... so I've never put myself in many silly high risk situations. I've tried peacefully to break up a brawl in the city ( which had nothing to do with me) and been punched in the face for my trouble...ended up with a bloodied mouth...I was glad that was all I got, and not a knife to the stomach...

I also assisted a lady who was struck down by a car near the top of kangaroo point...was almost run over by a semi-trailer in the process. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between being stupid and altruistic I suppose.

I got stuck being in charge of pulling down a big entertainment rig when i had only just gotten my riggers licence a few weeks before. This thing was big and was self supporting like an old Queenslander with no central support pillars. I had no idea what i was doing and should never have been in that situation.

All was going ok until I decided to pull down a particular line of truss next. Another guy who was just a hired hand and not supposed to know what he was doing pointed out that if I took that run out the whole thing would have collapsed on top of me. He was right and if he hadn't said something I would've been mangled badly.

That was scary

I nearly killed a few people including myself when I was about 18 and decided to do a u-turn on a highway after a full day on the grog. Had a Ford Econovan try to make its way through my door - OUCH:blink: Didn't do that again.

6 months later the mate I was living with started taking the girl out that was a passenger in the other car. She had a permanent limp from a serious leg fracture and I always felt ashamed when they would come home:blush:

A few years later I nearly shot a bloke whilst out pig hunting - it was pure luck I missed him - still feel sick when I think about it.

Then around the same time I found myself in chest deep water on the western side of Fraser Island and a large tiger between me and the beach - that gave me some shivers for a few years afterwards too.

But thinking about it for the last 20 years I've been pretty safe lol

hey ellcat was that tiger sitting in a gutter with you standing on a sand bar the far side of it fishing an incoming and then have to wade through the gutter back to the beach if so my wife and i were right next to you i was the lucky baSt@#$ to stand on the stingray on the way back in and go for a lucky carpet ride.:lol:

when i was younger i fishing in a creek near marybough and i had just caught a catty bout a foot long...we were on a old bridge and there was another bridge bout 30 mtrs away with traffic on it..i decided it would be funny to swing this catty on to a passing car ( real smart i was:blink: )so catty still connected on the end of my line i gave it a big cast out towards the bridge, wasnt going to make it so i reefed back..catty came flying back:ohmy: ...a million miles a hour!...head right my my \"tackle\"..i turned around got thumped in the back of my upper thigh...pain..pain pain pain!...the pectrol spine had broken off!...i crfied and screamed like a little girl..my mates pooped em selves...another mate comtined to stab this catty thinkin it was its fault:P ....mate ran to the nearest house(10mins away:( ) and a ambo turned up in bout half a hour...off to the hospital...had to cut it out as it was all serratted...still the most painfull thing i have ever been through besides losing a 20kg cobia boatside:P ....never try to throw anything at a car!

I Tried to ride a horse bareback that had not been ridden in 10 years.

I put the bridle on and got on. Instead of taking the horse out of the paddock the other horses were in i jumped straight on.

I suppose this is like somebody demanding you work when you and your mates are playing pool and getting pissed at the local pub. Not good.

The horse obviously wanted to be with its mates as well.

A bit of a run a couple of bucks later and yes you can guess where i was with a broken arm 2 broken ribs and concussion.

To make things worse we were in an old cruiser ute about 10k on rough dirt roads untill we got to a sealed road.

Definatelly not much fun with injury. You feel every bump. At the time i thought the driver hit every bump deliberatelly. Once we got to the sealed road it was another 80klm to the hospital.

Now the broken arm was no ordinary break, nor was the local hospital.

No making you sleep befor they fix the arm. A shot in the bum, an exray and a lot of pulling and pushing later.

Ouch. No horses for me anymore i prefer them with 2 wheels and a motor.

faulked wrote:

hey ellcat was that tiger sitting in a gutter with you standing on a sand bar the far side of it fishing an incoming and then have to wade through the gutter back to the beach if so my wife and i were right next to you i was the lucky baSt@#$ to stand on the stingray on the way back in and go for a lucky carpet ride.:lol:

No mate, I was on the calm side just a little south of where Kingfisher is now.

One of the stupidist things i have done would have to be when stu and myself tried to take a shortcut at npd by swimming about 100m just to save the walk around.

Well with one arm holding bag and rods out of the water bag full of all fishing gear phones wallets camera and the other arm to swim with well not i good idea.

About 20m into the swim i knew i wasnt going to make it at first i was trying so hard to keep my bag out of water but then i was stuffed and i had no choice but to use my bag as a flote.

Anyway made it to the other side and everything was full of water so stupid the worst thing about it was the bank we swam across we found out later was the best to fish

Accepted an invitation with a mate to visit a private bar in Turkey. Apparantly the best drinks and food around. Anyway long story short. Bar was full of Russians. Russian had pistols. There was one door out we were poltely yet firmly not allowed to approach. After 1 beer and apparantly several round we bought the bar, we left about a thousand bucks lighter. :blush:

So people made smart arse comments to us like \"why didnt you just charge the door\" etc. But i promise if you are put in that situation which was amazingly surreal swith guns etc, the hero stuff goes out the door :P

Angus

P.S. Was this meant to be strictly fishing related?

When I was about 10 yrs old I went up to the forrestry on the northcoast highway on my dirtbike with our neighbour and his mates (about 20 yrs old) for the first time. When we got there and unloaded the bikes and got or the gear on one of the fellas tried to give me a bit of freindly advice, \"when your riding and see any little wooden bridges crossing creeks just keep an eye out for missing planks\".

All eager and that I didn't pay much attention, anyway we are zipping along and trying to prove myself I keep increasing the pace when the bloke that gave me the advice took the lead just as a\"little wooden bridge\" was approaching. As he crossed it I was not far behind when I just see his rear wheel drop off where \"a plank was missing\", he kept going but all I remember is seeing Blue sky then Green grass and gravel then Blue sky then Green grass and gravel then Blue sky then thump landed upside down on my shoulders before roling along the ground a few times.

Got up winded and dazed only to see my bike wedge in the bridge, back wheel in the air. After the guys made sure I was alright it took three of them to try and unwedge the front forks and get the bike out while I looked on dazed.

The bike and myself still managed a days ride, just had to change gears with no clutch as the lever was the only broken thing for the day.

One of the scariest things thats happened to me was in the Bay about 5 years ago.

There was about a good sized swell and we were at one of the channel markers tossing lures and slugs around trying to hook up a big one. After a few minutes it was getting a bit rough for our 4M tinnie so we decided to head in but before we did we saw a really nice big lure on the barnacles. So in a moment of stupidness we decided it was a good idea to try and retrieve it. What we didnt see was that at the very bottom of each swell/wave, the bottom of the ladder on the channel marker would be exposed. So we motored up to it and were trying to get the lure off. At the bottom of the next wave the nose of the boat moved under the ladder and hooked onto the pointy rusty bottom of it, and the next wave came straight up over the front :dry: . I was freaking out, cause I was only about 13 and I really didn't want to me paddling my way through the shipping channel in the Bay! what with the sharks and boats and all. Anyway the wave lifted up and about a foot of water just came cascading into the boat from all around the front, and the back of the boat went up. My uncle jump up on the front and grabbed the ladder and pushed down as hard as he could to try to free the boat but not in time and another wave swamped us, then on the next wave he managed to free us but lost his balance and ended up dangling off the channel marker for 15 minutes while we pumped and bailed the like 1ft+ of water out of the boat. Needless to say we are a more cautious now days.

Joel ;)

During the construction of the Houghton Highway my 2 older brothers and I lashed together a makeshift raft from the materials that the workers had laying around the area. This raft consisted of 10 gallon drums, old planks and rope. the intent was to make a raft to push ourselves out into the Pine River to catch the better fish. We intended to use smaller planks as oars. We dragged this thing at the receding tide out into the channel. Once there I was told to get on board (being the youngest it was an order not a request) and once fully afloat they would jump on and we could fish away. As soon as I was on they just pushed it out and didn't attempt to even get onboard. The tide was still going out and I was then dragged very quickly by the current with no means of propulsion. They just stood there laughing at me from the shoreline. They did start to worry a little bit when I became a smaller reference point in Bramble bay. I was left crying on this raft out in the bay concerned about ever making it home. Luckily a passing boat came by and towed me back to safety. I got them to tow it back as I thought my brothers would get cranky that I left this vessel out in the bay. Needless to say they were actually releived to see me back and we never did get back on this raft. I also learnt that trust in my brothers was questioned at every opportunity.

Jeez... some bloody serious stories here. A few of you guys are lucky to still be here.

I don't think there's 1 stupid thing I've done. There's been a few. However none are anything close to some of the ones you blokes have been through. I'll quickly list a few.

- climbed halfway up Kangaroo Point cliffs at the age of 11 without a rope, got scared and climbed back down because I saw a rat....go figure.

- did a ropes course in the US that was around 20m above ground without ropes at midnight.

- waited at a bus stop in downtown Chicago for 6 hours by myself. For the entire 6 hours I was the only non black-american person there. I even had 2 taxi drivers pull up in front of me asking me if i was ok and offering advice on keeping to myself to be safe.

Great reads guys, keep these coming.

When I was about 14 me and some mates thought it would be fun to tie a petrol soaked rag on our bag carry rake on the back of our push bikes

And then light it and ride like hell down this huge hill with a roaring flame coming of our tail

Well the plan worked I had a good 10 ft flame off the back :woohoo: this is good fun till

I got to the bottom of the hill and Still had a huge fire ball inches from my bum :pinch:

I had to peddle my arse off for a couple of miles till this dam thing went out :blush:

never did that again

Another time I was dragging my mate on dirt bikes the track split into 2 I quikly took the right track as it had a likley looking jump

It sure did I was airbourne big time straight into the middle of a Dam :angry:

took 2 hours to retrieve my bike and get it going again

needless to say my mate was rofl

That will do for now can think of heaps now

like jumping off the house roof with an umbrella like the penguin did in batman

that hurt

Gaz

Did you actually watch Marry poppins Elli :woohoo:

just thought of a not so smart thing I did as a kid found a old 303 cartridge wedged it into the wood chopping block and belted the primer with a hammer Holey Snappin Duck poo did my ears ring for days :pinch:

Gaz

jimmybob wrote:

when i was younger i fishing in a creek near marybough and i had just caught a catty bout a foot long...we were on a old bridge and there was another bridge bout 30 mtrs away with traffic on it..i decided it would be funny to swing this catty on to a passing car ( real smart i was:blink: )so catty still connected on the end of my line i gave it a big cast out towards the bridge, wasnt going to make it so i reefed back..catty came flying back:ohmy: ...a million miles a hour!...head right my my \"tackle\"..i turned around got thumped in the back of my upper thigh...pain..pain pain pain!...the pectrol spine had broken off!...i crfied and screamed like a little girl..my mates pooped em selves...another mate comtined to stab this catty thinkin it was its fault:P ....mate ran to the nearest house(10mins away:( ) and a ambo turned up in bout half a hour...off to the hospital...had to cut it out as it was all serratted...still the most painfull thing i have ever been through besides losing a 20kg cobia boatside:P ....never try to throw anything at a car!

saltwater creek bridge jimmybob

i think going overboard to clear the sharknet that was wrapped around my prop is up there.i'd just run over it at 2am on a moonless night a couple of ks off kirra. as i cut it away from the prop it tangled around my foot and pulled me under but one panic stricken tug got it off and me back in the boat like lightning

but then there was the time i took on a 14' tiger shark with a bang stick

or missing currumbin bar in a storm at night and heading straight up the beach in the surf

or trying to jump my dirt bike over dunlops drain

and on and on

hmmm let me see tormented a grumpy old bull in a paddock only to realise he wasn't fully fenced in, ended up swimming 150 metres down stream to avoid playing matador, my mum still reminds me of this one being 15 and living on a farm and just in the early stages of driving, took dads HX holden and did burnouts in the paddock only to lose control and end up in the dam (I thought that was the end of me, not by crashing but how the old man was going to react when he got home, anyone remember the show Ted bullpit and his kingswood thats how my dad was with his holden)

a \"friend of a friend\" of mine got really drunk at the story bridge hotel and stole a rowboat. unfortunately \"he\" forgot to make sure that the oars were securely attached to the boat. needless to say in the fast current around holman st it was a matter of seconds only before the boat was drifting out of control. thankfully the boat drifted reasonably quickly out of the path of the many boats that frequent that stretch and into the mangroves- the only rescue operation needed: to re-orient the hapless \"friend\" in the direction of the pub, significantly shaken but none the worse for wear...

Gazza wrote:

Did you actually watch Marry poppins Elli :woohoo:

just thought of a not so smart thing I did as a kid found a old 303 cartridge wedged it into the wood chopping block and belted the primer with a hammer Holey Snappin Duck poo did my ears ring for days :pinch:

Gaz

a kid in my mothers school did that in the vice same round but it blew his finger off on the spot he didnt get it sewn back on as it was in the celing no joke mate though i did laugh why would you leave your hand on top of the vice when you hit the primer d@#$ head

Archived