2nd Hand Boat Purchase - Fisher CC

kmcrosby78

Hey all,
I've been patiently keeping an eye out for a second hand centre console and think I may have found what I am after

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elanora/motorboats-powerboats/fisher-5m-centre-console/1178491013

Will give the bloke a ring tomorrow night and try to arrange to see it and also a water test on the weekend. I'm no mechanic or electrician so chasing some advice regarding the inspection/purchasing process:

1. Not sure when the motor's last service was but it says they've been done annually - would the receipts/logs of these be enough to go by (as far as verifying the motor has no issues) or should I consider paying for a service/inspection if I'm keen on it?

2. Should be a bullet proof hull so I'd imagine even with my lack of hands on knowledge I should be able to tell if there any structural issues and obviously electrolysis. Anything in particular to take note of?

3. I want a raised casting deck and a mounting plate for an electric motor - anyone know someone/somewhere good to get this done and what a very approximate cost for this would be?

It will be interesting to see the condition of the trailer in person but it sounds like any immediate issues have been rectified and I've been waiting patiently to get the best hull I can, and the Fisher's have a very good reputation, so as long as the trailer is decent I don't see this as being a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Nice boat!! I would definitely look at getting a mechanic to look over the motor, compression test etc or maybe give the engine number to your local Suzuki mechanic. They could probably look up the motor and tell u the complete history and any issues/fixes it has had in the past.  That boat has a huge Centre console. Takes up a lot of room.

Thanks @Doyley   Good tip on the engine, appreciate it. Yeah will be interesting to see the layout in person. If the console is too wide I'll need to investigate how much it would cost to replace it (which would/may have implications for the wiring and steering). It will also be interesting to see how tall the shade shelter is as I'm 6ft 4inches ...... I would only consider keeping it if I can stand under it and then would only use it when the wife and kids are coming out with me - otherwise it would be left at home (as long as this was manageable of course - otherwise I'll just get rid of it and look at installing a bimini.

Yes should be a cracking hull which is what I've been hoping for :) 

Looks a great rig.

Well worth while spending a few dollars getting a full inspection done rather finding major issues later,

If the hard top is not adjustable and ally fabricator could make it so. Your decky would appreciate the wide consoles protection.

good luck it really looks impressive with very little to do to it. Probably just minor tweaks to suit your personal preferences.

Ray

For Suzuki inspection and advice i would recommend Jon Eadie at Bayside Suzuki or Gary at Silver service Marine at the gold coast. Gary although a honda dealer has wide experience on all brands .He is mobile and services quite a few local charter operators boats in Redland Bay.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/suzuki-df90-8283/

Wow nice looking hull. The shade would be very welcome when you have the kids but would get in the way from time to time so what a bonus to be able to take it off. Like Ray said it would be very cheap and easy to adjust the height. Do you have to squeeze through past the center console?

90 should be plenty for a 5m. My 5m has thinner sides but the 70 is plenty and love a Suzi.

There is a guy in Lindum that does Electric mounts. He quoted me $250 for mine. I have heard you can get them done cheaper than this. 

We could build a timber casting deck at my house for not much. Last time I did it I put too much weight in the old yellow boat but with a 90 it should be fine. Otherwise get it done out of ally. 

I don't really know what I'm talking about but it seems like a lot of money for a 15 year old boat. You would want to make sure the engine is mint. What do they go for new? It would be worth a call

https://www.svenssonboats.com.au/nq5000-console-series.html

Office: 
(07) 4846 1298

Jay Svensson:

Col Svensson:

I don't know if this has been helpful or slowed things down for you, I hope you take me out on it one day :)

I paid $14000 for a 1997 Haines Fibreglass hull with a 90hp on back half cabin. I agree the centre console takes up a bit of room. But the hull looks strong. At least with that many hours on the motor you know the boat has not just sat and not been used. 

Looks good though! But defs get a mechanic to check her out, best to e safe then sorry! 

Thanks for the replies, feedback and tips guys, much appreciated. Good tip on the hard top Ray and thanks also for mentioning Gary's name - the boat is in Elanora so that's a good option.

Oh and @Drop Bear it is a bit of dough for a 15yr old boat but the Fisher's (and AMM's) are meant to be the bees knees and as such hold their resale value very well, so if I buy this and either go through the motor or decide to sell, either way I should have plenty of value left.

8 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Oh and @Drop Bear it is a bit of dough for a 15yr old boat but the Fisher's (and AMM's) are meant to be the bees knees and as such hold their resale value very well, so if I buy this and either go through the motor or decide to sell, either way I should have plenty of value left.

Yep good call. Quality should always cost a little more. 

Looks a good rig.

I removed my seats in the CC and replaced with an esky for the seat.

90% of the time I drive standing up and then at rest I slide the esky close to the console, it gave us heaps more room in the back of the boat.

Just a tip if you get it.

35 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Looks a good rig.

I removed my seats in the CC and replaced with an esky for the seat.

90% of the time I drive standing up and then at rest I slide the esky close to the console, it gave us heaps more room in the back of the boat.

Just a tip if you get it.

Pro tip! That would give so much more room.

Someone told me to put Velcro on the bottom of things in a boat with carpet to stop it sliding around. I need to do that.

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Someone told me to put Velcro on the bottom of things in a boat with carpet to stop it sliding around. I need to do that.

You can also screw some D clips that they use on kayaks to floor and then tie them down with quick release clips.

31 minutes ago, Luvit said:

You can also screw some D clips that they use on kayaks to floor and then tie them down with quick release clips.

haha yep permanent solution. Another pro tip thanks. 

I have stopped buying green bananas because I don't know what I am doing tomorrow so will probably take the quick fix haha :D

Driving down first thing tomorrow morning to look at it and then the owner is taking me for a spin in the Tweed River - will head towards the bar and get it in amongst some choppy sell to get a feel for how it rides.  Had a good chat with him on the phone about the boat he is willing to drop to $25k.

Couple of bonuses are that the shade shelter is already height adjustable - the photo shows it in it's lowest height setting. Will measure it from the ground tomorrow but am hopefully (and reasonably confident) that I should be able to get it under both our car carport and boat carport without totally removing it, which would make things very easy.

Also has a removable bench seat for the back of the boat which isn't pictured, which again will be handy for family outings. And it also has a deck wash which wasn't mentioned.

So all in all as long as I'm happy with the size and cosmetics of the boat, the condition of the trailer, and then the motor gets the all clear Gary from Silver Service Marine said he can inspect it, etc on Mon or Tues arvo - thanks Ray!!) this rig should be a goer. I'd look to add an electric motor (plus mount) and a casting deck once purchased.

Fingers crossed :) 

Garry is inspecting the motor tomorrow arvo so as long as it gets a clean bill of health, I should be in a position to pick it up on Friday (the owner is heading for a holiday on Saturday).

It is too tall to get through my two carports with the shade shelter on so it will be a matter of how manageable it is to take it off/put it back on. I pondered this there today but it is such a great boat and came to the conclusion that the shade shelter is a bonus, not one of the key things I was looking for, so worst case it sits under my house or at my parents (plenty of space) until my boys are useful teenagers ... and in the meantime I could add a bimini.

The other hurdle is that the windscreen (made of Perspex) structure is also too tall to fit through my carports but the owner had what sounds like a good solution. I'd love to hear some feedback on this. He proposed to have someone cut off the uprights on each side of the dash that hold the windscreen up, then have them welded to some stainless plate (obviously cut/made to fit on top of the dash, then put it back on top of the dash and add a couple of hinges so it can tilt forward, and some sort of latch to secure it when upright. Would also need a hole/hoes in the stainless plate for the chords, plus the sounder/GPS brackets would also need to be fixed to it. Assume this would work fine?

The boat has a 180L fuel tank so plenty of range :) Will keep you all updated - I'm excited! Big day today (woke at 5:45am - alarm was set for 6:20am ...) and just finished doing prep work for Cross Country now (is on Tuesday, hopefully ......) so bring on holidays so I can hopefully play with my new toy :) 

5ab79ba1b80a8_FisherDash1.jpeg.7af28910b860ae65a9c10fff8a79f51e.jpeg

5ab79bbeaa8f8_FisherDash2.jpeg.b49be86201fcbb37cddb182573d234e4.jpeg

Getting closer mate :flowers:

If it is only a little bit taller than required,  i’d be inclined to just bring the height of the screen down by having it reduced &  rewelded. If it is way to high then you could just hinge the wind screen itself leaving the Sounders exactly where they are. Make the frame for the windscreen from canopy poles & fittings. 

I have the old canopy off my boat you are welcome to have. It would have all the fittings etc to do it yourself. Or you could adapt the Bimini to size it has side curtains as well. 

Offer is there if you want it.

Looks Good KM,

There a tough boat  the old fishers, I used to fish out of a 680 Centre Cab for while and it was a serious beast and well built boat,

My only thoughts on the boat being of that age is that maintenance on things like electrical & trailer items maybe required,  .

That was the only thing that sat in my mind when purchasing, . Who old was the Trailer?, Sounder? GPS? , Radio,  Then there was the other things you can not see.

Internal Structure and bulk heads and places where a sinker or hook can get to and water cant get out....

Hopefully mate she comes up treat and the motor is in a good place.

Good luck and hope to see you on the water at some stage in the coming months.

Thanks for the offer and advice/suggestion @Luvit. You've got me thinking now whether the sounders, etc will fit under, would go close I think. Everything happened quickly on Sunday and I originally thought that the top of the dash would only just fit under but there is about 20cm to play with so it may well work (or otherwise just disconnecting the sounders might work if the brackets will fit under).

Did you put a post up with pictures of your old canopy - think you did? If so I'll take a look and get in touch if I think it could be an option - cheers champ :) 

@Cobiaaddict yeah it's a solid rig alright. That's certainly part of the risk buying 2nd hand but I don't have the money (or am not willing/able to spend it ........ :no:) on a new rig of this calibre so am happy to buy at this price point and deal with problems/maintenance as they come. Yep, I'll have to get it out up around the Cape sometime :) 

1 minute ago, Drop Bear said:

Good on ya mate!! I cant wate to meet her in person. Does she have a name?

I’ve got one. ‘Gunna’

Always gunna go fishing :D

Sorry, I guess my name has been crossed off the deckie list Kel? 

23 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Well, all sorted - this Friday is going to be one VERY Good Friday!!!!!!  Yeeehaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

You lucky bu**er you not only get a Easter egg but get a boat too.:ausflag:

Have to come live at your place.:whistle:

Cheers

Gary.

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

I’ve got one. ‘Gunna’

Always gunna go fishing :D

Sorry, I guess my name has been crossed off the deckie list Kel? 

Yep, you're officially off my deckie list Wayne. Although I'm 'gunna' hit you up to follow you out sometime and steal all your spots that are 'where you find them' ........ :devil:

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of photos (EDIT - only seem to have taken one - will take more next time ....) of the solutions for making the windscreen removable and for separating the legs and shade structure of the canopy. Had a hiccup with the welding job (which ended up getting done the day we left for our holiday in Noosaville so I wasn't there for it) with it being too windy to weld that day so the guy took the frame for the windscreen, plus the legs for the canopy, back to the workshop for the job to be completed. A different guy/s completed the job which led to the next problem with 3 legs having thick pipe welded onto it but one of them had very thin pipe welded onto it, which wasn't going to provide strong structural support. The lengths of the sections of pipe that were also inconsistent so needed to get these cut so they were the same. Got there in the end, but a bit of messing around.

Worked on the boat with Dad yesterday and aligning the different parts proved tricky - the windscreen because of the angles and the added length of the metal collars, and the canopy because the collars were a very tight fit for the legs to slot into. Got there though with a bit of pipe bending, tapping, banging, filing and greasing.

5addd7a3a9d4c_Windscreen1.jpg.39d32b4241109c8a196a26740d5c865a.jpg

Archived