GregOug

33 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Well I took everyone’s advice and headed out for a fish today. Left from Pinkenba Boat Ramp near the mouth of the Brisbane River. There was probably half a metre of chop most of the way, up to three-quarters of a metre the closer we got to Tangalooma. Had a look at the wrecks then decided to drift from Cowan Cowan Point out towards Bulwer. Ended up drifting all the way to out past Comboyuro. Did a few drifts back and forth past Bulwer for a net result of one huge toad fish. And this was over the same ground I used to catch quite a few decent reef fish. Mind you, that was forty years ago! Anyway, Bulwer has now joined my ever growing list of unproductive grounds. Oh, for one bloody spot where you can actually catch a decent fish. So frustrating! The weather itself and the boat were beautiful though.

The boat ate it all up, just as @ellicat said it would. Still a bit choppy on the way back, but still managed to go past the eighty kilometre an hour mark that the speedo goes to. Might have to change to mph or knots for future trips!

Anyway, that’s my report for what it’s worth. Lol.

cheers

Greg

80 is flying!! Glad the weather was good. Keep at is 🙂

37 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Well I took everyone’s advice and headed out for a fish today. Left from Pinkenba Boat Ramp near the mouth of the Brisbane River. There was probably half a metre of chop most of the way, up to three-quarters of a metre the closer we got to Tangalooma. Had a look at the wrecks then decided to drift from Cowan Cowan Point out towards Bulwer. Ended up drifting all the way to out past Comboyuro. Did a few drifts back and forth past Bulwer for a net result of one huge toad fish. And this was over the same ground I used to catch quite a few decent reef fish. Mind you, that was forty years ago! Anyway, Bulwer has now joined my ever growing list of unproductive grounds. Oh, for one bloody spot where you can actually catch a decent fish. So frustrating! The weather itself and the boat were beautiful though.

The boat ate it all up, just as @ellicat said it would. Still a bit choppy on the way back, but still managed to go past the eighty kilometre an hour mark that the speedo goes to. Might have to change to mph or knots for future trips!

Anyway, that’s my report for what it’s worth. Lol.

cheers

Greg

It would had been tough going today mate, plenty of boats on water.

Those big tides make fishing the Bulwer area tough... I fish it a lot for snapper and bite windows are normaly 1/2 hour either side of tide changes. 

Good to hear the boat flies..  80km on water is hooting.  

33 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Those big tides make fishing the Bulwer area tough... I fish it a lot for snapper and bite windows are normaly 1/2 hour either side of tide changes. 

Yeah. It was actually going faster but the speedo couldn’t register it. Lol

34 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Actually, you are right. The tide was racing. Didn’t realise until we drifted past a buoy at a great rate of knots.

17 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Glad you got out. You would have been riding over the top of the bumps at that speed !

Dangerous critters those big toads. Hope you stayed away from his chompers.

Did you check on that new wreck mark on the way by chance ?

No I forgot @ellicatbut that reminds me. We all swore we saw a rock sticking out of the water probably at least a couple of hundred metres out from shore as we drifted past Cowan Cowan artificial. Does anyone have knowledge of a rock there? Very bloody dangerous if it is a rock.

2 hours ago, GregOug said:

No I forgot @ellicatbut that reminds me. We all swore we saw a rock sticking out of the water probably at least a couple of hundred metres out from shore as we drifted past Cowan Cowan artificial. Does anyone have knowledge of a rock there? Very bloody dangerous if it is a rock.

No rocks that I know of at Curtain Artificial, possibly a old crusty mooring bouy floating  around, few weeks back I watched 2 dugongs and a big  turtle cruising the area, quite possibly one of those...

1 hour ago, Cobiaaddict said:

No rocks that I know of at Curtain Artificial, possibly a old crusty mooring bout floating , few weeks back I watched 2 dugongs and a big  turtle cruising the area, quite possibly one of those...

It wasn’t moving at all though. We drifted past it at a distance and the waves were breaking around it and you could see the swell surging up and down it. It looked like a pinnacle sticking about a foot or two out of the water. Weird! 

17 minutes ago, Junky said:

My old graywill pulled those speeds. 

Was great for Cleveland to Cape Moreton runs. 

Bummer bout the bites not happening. 

Maybe a whale out there? They can look like rocks if they're resting. 

Seen a heap 2 weeks ago. 

Definitely not a whale

3 hours ago, GregOug said:

cheers

Greg

Knots are the usual way of measuring speed and distance on the water,  something to do with the curvature of the earth, so if my memory is correct I think that one minute of Latitude on the map equals one Nautical mile or something like that. But it has been over 50 years since I did coastal navigation and the old brain is a bit fuzzy.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Knots are the usual way of measuring speed and distance on the water,  something to do with the curvature of the earth, so if my memory is correct I think that one minute of Latitude on the map equals one Nautical mile or something like that. But it has been over 50 years since I did coastal navigation and the old brain is a bit fuzzy.

That sounds about right @Ed.. I selected Kph because that is the metric measure, just like metres for depth, km for distance etc on my sounder/gps. But I might try and see if I can select speed as a seperate measurement to the rest. 

3 minutes ago, GregOug said:

That sounds about right @Ed.. I selected Kph because that is the metric measure, just like metres for depth, km for distance etc on my sounder/gps. But I might try and see if I can select speed as a seperate measurement to the rest. 

Although, it is the actual speedo, which is a Mercury stand alone device, separate to the gps/sounder, which displays the speed. Not sure that changing a Lowrance setting will alter the Mercury readout. Then again, there may be something which can be changed in the Mercury ‘smart’ gauges setup that will do the trick. I’ll have to have a good look tomorrow but it is my recollection that the 0-80 graduations on the gauge are permanent features, not a digital readout. However, perhaps the internal computer can automatically convert  the actual quantity displayed on the speedo, depending on which you choose - kph, mph or knots?

17 hours ago, GregOug said:

Although, it is the actual speedo, which is a Mercury stand alone device, separate to the gps/sounder, which displays the speed. Not sure that changing a Lowrance setting will alter the Mercury readout. Then again, there may be something which can be changed in the Mercury ‘smart’ gauges setup that will do the trick. I’ll have to have a good look tomorrow but it is my recollection that the 0-80 graduations on the gauge are permanent features, not a digital readout. However, perhaps the internal computer can automatically convert  the actual quantity displayed on the speedo, depending on which you choose - kph, mph or knots?

On my Simrad GPS/chart plotter, fish finder I have my display showing speed in knots and all the other distances in metric.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

My speedo doesn't work, the pickup tube is not connected to the gauge hence the reason I use the speed on the combo unit.

1 hour ago, aussie123 said:

If your speedo only goes to 80kmh you will need to watch the speed on your GPS to see your proper speed readings.

The 0-80 graduations are a maximum reading for that guage so you cannot get any speed readings beyond the 80kmh.

Okay. Thanks guys. I’ll look into it.