Fuel Consumption

Aus Dave

Hi guys I just bought a 2017 Barcrusher XS535 with a Suzuki 100A outboard. I took it out on the weekend and was a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption. Running about 4200rpm on calm seas the best I was getting was 2km/L. But the funny thing is we copped it on the way home, over a metre of choppy as, wind vs current and that didn't really change the consumption, only going down to 1.9km/L. My old boat with a yamy got me 4km/L at full noise. My fishing spot is 100kms away from the ramp so at this rate I'm looking at using the full 100L just in travel.

I'm thinking of getting a smaller prop as unloaded I'm maxing out at 5400 rpm.

Any ideas?

Yeah def borrow one. It sounds as though it is correct though. 

My merc 150 has the same rev specs but it's sweet spot is around 3700rpm. I get 1.9k's per litre @ 42kph throwing a 18inch enertia . That's pushing a 58 armour plate and they are a heavy boat.

If I increase rpm to 4100rpm then it drops down to about 1.5k's per litre. 

So maybe just back off a touch and see what happens there. You won't see the figures your old boat had though. 

Just out of interest, what was your older boat that was getting 4km/L? 

The boat I used to have was a 5.2m ocean pearl with a yamy 60 on the back. Very similar shape boat but a bit lighter. 800kgs vs 1200 kgs but the bigger outboard should compensate for that. With my old boat I didn't root around with fuel economy, I ran it at full noise the whole time. I'd love to have seen what I could have got if I tried. I also had a 5m stacer in the past with a 90hp Honda. That got the same if not better fuel economy.

If this is the best I'll get I guess I'll have to go buy a heap of jerry cans. Big boats I expect to be bad on fuel but I didn't realise small boats could be so bad too.

Hey guys I thought I'd give you an update. I had the outboard serviced yesterday and that had a massive affect on the fuel usage. I took her out today I  the river so I could take photos of what I was getting. So now my max WOT is up to 5700rpm and my fuel consumption at 4300rpm is 3km/L. I've chucked a couple of pics on. I have no idea what they did but it's way better. They reckon the fuel filter needed changing so that's their answer. I'm still thinking of dropping a prop size but this is a good start. It's only a new boat for me so I'll work it out. I'll keep you all posted on what happens

20201002_104930.jpg

20201002_104829.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For comparison - I'm in a Bar Crusher 575c with a 100hp Yammie. (2012 model so its a bit long in the tooth now)

Best i get is around 2.3-2.5km / L in the sweetspot. I can only manage 2.5km / L if it is completely glassed out conditions.

Otherwise 2.3-2.4km / L is more the norm.

Not that it needs a repower but would be interested to hear if newer outboards run more effieciently by much?