Experiment

I put the boat in early again and went to my spot to put in a new burley log , I sat there for no longer than 15 minutes then a bit of life started to appear on the fish finder only 1 good arch this time but plenty of smaller stuff was showing , couldn't hang around long by 6 am i had 2 clients call to find out when i would be turning up with their freight so i had to take off.

A mate of mine (kiwi Joe) gave me a call yesterday and made a pretty weird suggestion that I put a couple cap fulls of kerosene in my burley logs. Has anyone heard of this before ? If yes does it work ? Or is this like the time we tried to see if his sons remote control car would go faster running on Jack Daniels 

2 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

A mate of mine (kiwi Joe) gave me a call yesterday and made a pretty weird suggestion that I put a couple cap fulls of kerosene in my burley logs. Has anyone heard of this before ? If yes does it work ? Or is this like the time we tried to see if his sons remote control car would go faster running on Jack Daniels 

I have heard of this but I feel it would fall into the confirmation bias category. Happy to be proven wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I have heard of this but I feel it would fall into the confirmation bias category. Happy to be proven wrong. 

Yeah not sure if I should give it a crack or not. 

Just now, Old Scaley said:

When I was a little kid I used to spend most of the. School holidays with relies who were early settlers at Amity Point. My great uncle used to make me up a dough to catch butter bream off the old jetty. It consisted of flour, water, cotton wool, cheese and a dash of kero. It certainly worked so maybe there is something in it?

My nanna made the same batch but without the kero. I think we need a scientific method competition to sort this out. 

Lets both go back in time, get your uncle and my nanna to make up a batch each, we head out to the Amity Jetty and catch some monster Butter Bream.

In all honesty I would have loved to have done this with you. Did they let you eat the butter bream? I was made to throw them all back haha. Probably because I wasn't the one that would have filleted them. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Sorry about the thread hijack

That is magic. One of my mates had a very long winded battle with brain cancer. About a year before he died we were tied up at the wrecks at tangas and I was baiting his small hook and he was just able to lift the rod and I could grab the butter bream. I cooked them for him on the BBQ with loads of butter and yes they were delicious. It was probably the last really good moment he had in his life. 

Yes sorry for the thread hijack. Returning to your normal transmission 🙂

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I was allowed to bring back as many as we were going to eat and I was allowed to cook them whole, just gutted, in a buttery pan over a small fire on the beach then use a fork to scrape the flesh off the bones. They were delicious. This is what really got me into fishing - catching tons of butter bream off a jetty with a handline then cooking them up as a kid. Happy days! Sorry about the thread hijack @Sneaky1

Haha it's good reading keep it going

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

That is magic. One of my mates had a very long winded battle with brain cancer. About a year before he died we were tied up at the wrecks at tangas and I was baiting his small hook and he was just able to lift the rod and I could grab the butter bream. I cooked them for him on the BBQ with loads of butter and yes they were delicious. It was probably the last really good moment he had in his life. 

Yes sorry for the thread hijack. Returning to your normal transmission 🙂

All good guys 

19 minutes ago, Snapper scotty said:

Oi Dave r we hitn the majic berly spot tmoz n is the combo ok 4 snaps mums keen as 4 a feed of fish

No mate wouldn't be a magic spot if I showed everyone . I think we might chase some flatties if you guys want a feed the wind is supposed to pick up tomorrow. That combo will be to heavy for flatties you can use one of mine . 

19 minutes ago, Snapper scotty said:

K so wot time tmoz n wot bait do I get n mum has $ 4 Petrl 

Will pick you up at 6 am , don't worry about bait I have it covered and tell your mum to keep her money the Suzuki is so cheap to run i think i still have over half a tank which will last ages. No gossip or whinging tomorrow mate I have this ready for your ear hole just in case. Don't want to use it but I will if I need to

1604752848499346112386788431156.jpg

Good news and bad news this morning , good news is I had 5 good arches on the fish finder and I finally put a hook in a big bait to see how putting in those hours would pay off. Bad news is out of the corner of my eye I spotted a small ball sinker on the floor so I put the rod down for a second and went to grab the sinker. I then heard a bang and splash when my back was turned it was my texalium with my Calcutta 700s going in the drink.I think of all my rods as my shiney  children that don't talk back and to have one abducted like that really craps me off.

25 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

That’s quite sad when baitfishing if I need to do something that requires me to put down my rod I always leave the bail arm flipped over so if a fish takes my bait for a run my rod isn’t going anywhere

Yeah it was my own fault but it was a 10 second window if I put it in 1 of the 8 rod holder's I have in the boat this wouldn't have happened 

28 minutes ago, Ed. said:

That was an expensive lapse of judgement but you already know that. Did you mark that location with GPS and what was the depth, if not too deep you might want to go for a snorkel and have a look around. Or else pay a diver to go have a look.

All good @Ed. I have ed been burleying this spot for a couple weeks it's saved in the GPS as for the snorkeling I might give it a miss I gave one of Drop Bears tips a try but it didn't work for me I looked more like a wounded seal than a diver , just can't get the body to sink.

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Did you look at your sounder to see which one of the five got it ? haha.

In  all seriousness, I think Old Scaley is on the money. Commiserations and well done at the same time.

When it happened I think I made up some new swear words , but by the time I got back to the ramp I had calmed down a bit , I thought i  still have 2 texaliums and I've been thinking about upgrading the Calcutta anyway and I could always use another venom, so really I got cranky over nothing

4 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Were you in a wetsuit when you tried, if you were, you will also need a weight belt,  I have one if you want to borrow it. How deep is the water there? Always nice to buy a new reel and rod but it's also nice to keep the old stuff too especially if it is a nice setup.

No wetsuit , 8 meters deep not so sure I want to jump in there I've put a fair bit of burley there over the last couple of weeks

Sharkbait anyone?🤣 8m is getting a bit deep, I used to do that when I was 20 now not so sure, and you probably couldn't see the bottom from the surface, if you could, maybe a paddle around on the surface to see if you could spot it and drop a line with a grapple hook on it to pull it up, however chances are by now that it will be covered over with sand/silt.

4 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Don't beat yourself up, lapses in judgement happen to all of us at some stage!  🤔. Anyway a new setup will no doubt bring a smile to your face.

Yeah looking forward to the new combo

That looks like a sweet combo. 

Glad you had a hit there. More to come by the sound of it. 

I have lost a few rods over the side. I trolled a reef anchor for about an hour for one but had no luck... 

If I lay a rod down and have to do something and cant open the bail arm I have it so just the first foot or so is hanging over the side. It would probably break the tip off but you can put a new one on and you don't loose your reel.