Experiment

I'm definitely not the first person to try this but I thought I'd give it a crack. For the last week I've been doing local work so every second day I've been taking the boat out before work and throwing my keeper bag with around 4kg of burley log in . Some mornings it was a bit dicey but i still have another week to go. Has anyone else had any luck trying this method ? I'm hoping it works for bigger snapper. 

I've been trying different methods of berleying lately. Chopped up pilly seems to be the best. When I've used berley in a pot over the side I think it has attracted sharks, rays, catfish and bream. I've used old bait like pillies, squid and fish frames as well as pellets in the pot.

Tomorrow I'll be doing both, so I'll let you know in the report (if there is one).

13 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I've been trying different methods of berleying lately. Chopped up pilly seems to be the best. When I've used berley in a pot over the side I think it has attracted sharks, rays, catfish and bream. I've used old bait like pillies, squid and fish frames as well as pellets in the pot.

Tomorrow I'll be doing both, so I'll let you know in the report (if there is one).

Was just thinking if I done this every second day they might get in the routine of cruising past for a free feed then after a couple weeks start fishing it while the burley is pumping.. I've been blending pillies ,  prawns ,herring ,hardy heads , school mackerel,  tailor, cat bickies,  bread crabs and the odd mullet . Hope you get into them ellicat ,  I think the big stuff has been swimming past me and having a laugh on my last 5 or 6 outings

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

Ahh, now I get ya. Sounds like a good experiment with some good ingredients. Hopefully you can hot the jackpot then I'll do the same. haha

Going for a predawn run out to Harry's with @shaun1800, so fingers crossed. Cheers

Good luck guys hopefully the storm activity stirred them up

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great idea mate. I can't see how it wouldn't work. 

I cant wait to hear your results. Lots of hard work but hopefully a pay off. Just don't tell anyone where you are doing it haha. 

Haha no chance of that slipping out. Hoping it works I havnt dragged anything big over the side for a while.

I think it's working Drop Bear , when I pulled up this morning the fish finder looked a bit different and I emptied a pack of cheap and nasty b.c.f burley pellets down before I put a new log in the net. There was 2 decent arches on the finder and I'm guessing the other stuff  is either bream or pan sized squire after an hour of monitoring I thought i better go to work . Still have another week of burleying to go before I put a line in with it

On 28 October 2020 at 7:31 PM, Sneaky1 said:

I'm definitely not the first person to try this but I thought I'd give it a crack. For the last week I've been doing local work so every second day I've been taking the boat out before work and throwing my keeper bag with around 4kg of burley log in . Some mornings it was a bit dicey but i still have another week to go. Has anyone else had any luck trying this method ? I'm hoping it works for bigger snapper. 

2 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

I think it's working Drop Bear , when I pulled up this morning the fish finder looked a bit different and I emptied a pack of cheap and nasty b.c.f burley pellets down before I put a new log in the net. There was 2 decent arches on the finder and I'm guessing the other stuff  is either bream or pan sized squire after an hour of monitoring I thought i better go to work . Still have another week of burleying to go before I put a line in with it

On 28 October 2020 at 7:31 PM, Sneaky1 said:

Cn I cum n fish it wit u wen u go  ???

Jesus kid , it took me about 5 go's to understand that jumbled crap. The next time I take you fishing I'm giving you a thonging . I'm keeping this spot quiet . I gave you some good marks for Hervey bay .

3 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Can I come and fish it with you when you go ???

Hahaha ,  maybe Scotty should employ you as his translator Hamish . Am I getting slow in the head or was that hard to understand?

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

No, it took me a couple tries too. I found it hard to distinguish between typos, slang, and jibberish 😉 

Cheers Hamish

If I wrote like that when I was 17 I would have been flogged

That's really cool mate. I think you are onto something. I guess it always comes down to putting in the hard work. It is very easy to go buy servo squid bait and chuck it off the comfortable jetty. 

I really hope you do well there. 

We are creating shellfish reefs in a spot out in front of the river. Hopefully this will be a self burleying spot. Who knows. 

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

That's really cool mate. I think you are onto something. I guess it always comes down to putting in the hard work. It is very easy to go buy servo squid bait and chuck it off the comfortable jetty. 

I really hope you do well there. 

We are creating shellfish reefs in a spot out in front of the river. Hopefully this will be a self burleying spot. Who knows. 

They done a shellfish reef in the passage not sure how it fishes there's usually boats hanging around it so I don't stop there. That's awesome you guys are making a reef we need more breeding grounds and food sources for the fish. It's awesome to see people getting in there and trying to restore the balance instead of the old take take take scenario . I'm not a man bun wearing tree hugging hippy that's afraid of soap but I am definitely a big supporter of marine conservation . 

20 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

They done a shellfish reef in the passage not sure how it fishes there's usually boats hanging around it so I don't stop there. That's awesome you guys are making a reef we need more breeding grounds and food sources for the fish. It's awesome to see people getting in there and trying to restore the balance instead of the old take take take scenario . I'm not a man bun wearing tree hugging hippy that's afraid of soap but I am definitely a big supporter of marine conservation . 

The Pumicestone project has seen huge improvements to localised fish populations. There is more info here. 

https://ozfish.org.au/projects/restoring-shellfish-reefs-in-pumicestone-passage/

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

The Pumicestone project has seen huge improvements to localised fish populations. There is more info here. 

https://ozfish.org.au/projects/restoring-shellfish-reefs-in-pumicestone-passage/

Yep that's the one I was talking about under the yellow marker . If it's any help to you Drop Bear I wouldn't mind offering my truck and a bit of my time free of charge to transport the shells from point a to point b . It's a fully enclosed curtain sider , if that's any good to you hit me up.

On 01/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, Sneaky1 said:

Yep that's the one I was talking about under the yellow marker . If it's any help to you Drop Bear I wouldn't mind offering my truck and a bit of my time free of charge to transport the shells from point a to point b . It's a fully enclosed curtain sider , if that's any good to you hit me up.

Wow yes! that could be really helpful thanks! Would we require a fork lift to load them? 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow yes! that could be really helpful thanks! Would we require a fork lift to load them? 

You could use a fork but don't have to if the shells are bagged up on pallets , i have a pallet Jack and a 2 ton trail lift

Just put another burley log out as I was a bit late getting home the line up at the boarder was a bit bigger than usual. After putting the new bag in I sat there for around 20 minutes and the fish finder was blank no signs of life at all   , hope this experiment is not a waste of time and good burley hopefully it's a different story on thursday morning only have 2 logs left

14 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Just put another burley log out as I was a bit late getting home the line up at the boarder was a bit bigger than usual. After putting the new bag in I sat there for around 20 minutes and the fish finder was blank no signs of life at all   , hope this experiment is not a waste of time and good burley hopefully it's a different story on thursday morning only have 2 logs left

Interesting after you saw so many the other day. 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Interesting after you saw so many the other day. 

Not sure if it's because I went at night this time or if I didn't wait as long this time but there was no fish at all. 

18 minutes ago, GregOug said:

I imagine they would be expecting it the same time every day. Different fish come out of a night time.

Yep I'm thinking your right @GregOug . I think I have already botched the whole experiment already . I work stupid hours which probably is not helping with consistency. But I'm not giving up yet 

Sounds like a interesting experiment you have going on. But I know if you keep feeding fish everyday at the same time the fish after awhile will just sit and wait there for the food to come I’ve heard of people doing this before and having decent results after awhile. someone named Wayne o’keffe done this and had good results he has his own website and YouTube channel and his advice is pretty good mostly for baitos though if it wasn’t for him I don’t think I would be where I am today with my fishing he was very helpful when I ditched the Kmart gear after 2 or so years of being frustrated after not catching anything when fishing. He taught me how to catch bream on unweighted baits with light line 4lb mono and it worked well with me it took some time but after awhile around 6 months to a year i mastered the technique and found what hooks work best and learning fish behaviour tides currents barometric pressure and a lot more then I switched to more lure fishing and today I use a lot better gear and mainly use lures but sometimes I use the knowledge I learnt from him with my current setups when the lures aren’t working well and it usually works like a charm. Edit I just noticed after probably around 8 months since I watched him he changed his channel name to how to fish still has great advice 

35 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Sounds like a interesting experiment you have going on. But I know if you keep feeding fish everyday at the same time the fish after awhile will just sit and wait there for the food to come I’ve heard of people doing this before and having decent results after awhile. someone named Wayne o’keffe done this and had good results he has his own website and YouTube channel and his advice is pretty good mostly for baitos though if it wasn’t for him I don’t think I would be where I am today with my fishing he was very helpful when I ditched the Kmart gear after 2 or so years of being frustrated after not catching anything when fishing. He taught me how to catch bream on unweighted baits with light line 4lb mono and it worked well with me it took some time but after awhile around 6 months to a year i mastered the technique and found what hooks work best and learning fish behaviour tides currents barometric pressure and a lot more then I switched to more lure fishing and today I use a lot better gear and mainly use lures but sometimes I use the knowledge I learnt from him with my current setups when the lures aren’t working well and it usually works like a charm. Edit I just noticed after probably around 8 months since I watched him he changed his channel name to how to fish still has great advice 

Thanks @Breaming with bro I have simular plans, on the last day I will be hiding a 6/0 circle hook in a decent chunk of longtail (un weighted) and on another rod a humble pilly with a 5/0 circle I never fish without my fluro carbon leader. The spot I'm trying fished well a couple years ago I'm just trying to see if the snapper have left or if they have just got smarter,  caught a few around 70cm there and then the spot just went dead. 

33 minutes ago, Snapper scotty said:

Ay davo r u fishn sundy me n mum r cumn to briz gonna use the combo u gimme

Haha your spellings getting easier to understand Scotty, oh hang on I've had some origin drinks the rum has given me super powers I can now read jibberish . Yep Sunday sounds ok I've missed out on chasing dolphin fish down coffs on Saturday  because of work again , this work crap keeps interfering with my fishing not happy. Give me a call tomorrow we can line it up. Don't text or you WILL be thronged when you get here.