mounting transducers

faulked

i have a humminbird sounder and have had issues with it it gets very confused in shallow water at speed anything over 26knotts it goes ape shit and anything under a few feet of water she plays up. the transducer is mounted on an adjustable bracket witch i have tried all over the place from protruding past the hull to a few inches above the bottom of it any ideas would be greatly appreciated:)

Feral wrote:

25 knots in a few feet of water?

Its just scared!

lol no mate i meant any depth at 25 knotts it plays up and under 20 ft of water it gets dodgy over about 14 knotts 3or4 ft of water it works when it wants too when i say play up it reads 1000s of ft of water full of fish now people tell me to trust the sounder but there has to be something wrong here other days 35knotts across a glassed out bay and it reads fine it has to be air bublles but i dont get why

hey mate

i have the same problem with my furuno!

i asked around and was told that with the cheaper ones under $1500, they have trouble picking up bottom at over 20k!

if you think of it like a pc then i would say it doesnt have enuff ram to keep up with the info it is trying to process and no matter what position we put the transducer in, it wont make a difference?

all i have done to rectify this is to turn up my mapping speed (the speed that it pings back and forth) to full and keep running all other settings at a bare minimum!

hope this helps:blink:

Ian.

I have a humminbird, and after much experimentation have found the template supplied for mounting the transducer is pretty much the best spot. It produces a pretty big rooster tail at speed, but still reads ok up to 27-28 knots, pretty much flat chat for my rig.

I've also discovered that if the motor is in shallow drive, the currents created pretty much black out my display, back to normall drive normally rectifiys.

Hope this helps!

To the best of my humminbird knoledge is make sure u are on 200khz not 83khz. 200khz sends a narrower faster beam therefore will get down and back up faster on 83 there is no chance of recieving back to the transducer at that speed. Most ppl use their sounder on 83khz cause it give a much clearer reading and a better view of the bottom, Hope that helps

I would just like my boat to do 40 knots. I only have a cheap fishfinder and I even have no problems in 60cm of water. The transducer is mounted on the supplied bracket and it is at 90 deg to the transom. It is also just slightly above the level of the bottom.

my sounder is one of the cheapest lowrance sounders around about $120 if i remember correctly and i have no issues with it at any speed or depth. If anything i would try moving the whole unit to a new position on your transom as it seems you have tried everything else.

tyrion wrote:

my sounder is one of the cheapest lowrance sounders around about $120 if i remember correctly and i have no issues with it at any speed or depth. If anything i would try moving the whole unit to a new position on your transom as it seems you have tried everything else.
i might just try this i think :)

Archived