Snaps are coming

Old Scaley

46 minutes ago, Another Wazza said:

Nice work,  the overcast conditions would’ve helped today, did you retire the plastic once they started chewing on bait?

Once they started hitting the bait, the plastics didn’t seem to work as well. I probably should have been there early to catch the tailor bite. The conditions were a bit eerie today - the sky was grey, the water was also grey and there was almost constant drizzle. Still lovely though.

• 4 weeks later...

So what's the go with the snapper fellers. 

As a kid we used to catch them on gravel patches out near the shipping channel off Bribie and in a few places in the Passage . . . but how far north are they common?   

I was surprised to hook one off the rocks at Bargara, last week, had him beat, just waiting for a swell to wash him onto a ledge and my new second hand five inch Alvey broke the main frame.

Good fish too with the lump on his conk, probably around seven hundred I reckon.

Bugger! . . . and to add injury to insult, when the reel fell off the rod it partly blackened a toenail. (wry grin)

Cheers.  

15 hours ago, tworowsofeight said:

As a kid we used to catch them on gravel patches out near the shipping channel off Bribie and in a few places in the Passage . . . but how far north are they common?   

I was surprised to hook one off the rocks at Bargara, last week, had him beat, just waiting for a swell to wash him onto a ledge and my new second hand five inch Alvey broke the main frame.

Good fish too with the lump on his conk, probably around seven hundred I reckon.

Bugger! . . . and to add injury to insult, when the reel fell off the rod it partly blackened a toenail. (wry grin)

Cheers.  

Hey @tworowsofeight

My mate has caught them offshore at 1770 (it was 80cm, and he says when he goes up there he gets them rather regularly).

Hamish

16 hours ago, tworowsofeight said:

Cheers.  

Yep I have caught them off Gladstone but in deeper waters not around the reef. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmyjack said:

They're restricted at the moment along with pearlies? or am I deluded?

Hey Jimmyjack,

in QLD, you have to get in quick! 

"A closed season also applies to snapper throughout Queensland tidal waters from 15 July to 15 August."

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/fisheries/monitoring-research/monitoring-reporting/commercial-fisheries/species-specific/snapper

Other states have other restrictions that I am not sure of.