Underfloor fuel tank

ggg

Hi All. I'm looking at getting an underfloor fuel tank put into a Quintrex 420 Renegade tiller steer. The motor is a 40hp Yamaha two-stroke and I'm looking at around a 100l tank with some normal outboard tanks as extra. What would be the process of installing a tank. I know where I can get the tank and have it welded in, but I don't understand the process of plumbing it though. Would I need a fuel pump to pump the fuel to the motor? The fuel lines would be around 3m. How would I check the fuel level without gauges and what else do I need to know? Thanks

It will draw through the line without a fuel pump I think, althoughyou have to be careful your lines dont get tiny cracks or splits.

You have to have a dedicated breather valve built in to the system so the gas can escape on a hot day.

You can either have a sender built in to the tank which then requires a gauge to read fill level, or you can use a piece of dowel down into the tank when you want to check the level. I  use dowel on mine but I would love a sender etc but it's no big deal really. Gradually you learn how muuch fuel you use per hour and how much you have left. 100 litres equates to over 100kg which means another person in weight, and if that goes up the front that can change the dynamics of your boat ride and handling.

56 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

Hi All. I'm looking at getting an underfloor fuel tank put into a Quintrex 420 Renegade tiller steer. The motor is a 40hp Yamaha two-stroke and I'm looking at around a 100l tank with some normal outboard tanks as extra. What would be the process of installing a tank. I know where I can get the tank and have it welded in, but I don't understand the process of plumbing it though. Would I need a fuel pump to pump the fuel to the motor? The fuel lines would be around 3m. How would I check the fuel level without gauges and what else do I need to know? Thanks

that is some serious fuel for a boat that size. what kind of trips are you planning to use it for?

19 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

I need the fuel tank size for big reef trips. I won't have the tank under the casting deck, it will be just foreward of the centre of the boat.

that sounds like alot of fun. good luck to you man!

depending on the location of the tank, you could always cut a hatch into the floor which could be above the fuel tank gauge