Brisbane River Session #171 and #172

AUS-BNE-FISHO

17 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Well, that makes sense. haha

A couple of successful missions before knuckling down with the school work...just what you need to get you through. Nice fish.

Thanks Brian, definitely glad I managed to catch the thready! 

6 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Well done Hamish.

All that hard work is paying off.

Thanks Angry.

1 hour ago, Cavvy said:

Any other tips from folk on how to keep these big ones alive?

I don't think there is too much to to be done. They are just a susceptible species that wear themselves out with the fight they put up. The best chance to give them, as with all fish, is to leave them in the water and release as quick as possible using a release weight if necessary and/or practical. Fisheries don't class them as vulnerable etc so taking one every now and then isn't hurting sustainability.

22 hours ago, Another Wazza said:

Great work Hamish!, they are both good fish 👍

20 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

You are having a pretty good year, Hamish. Congrats. 

43 minutes ago, subtlefly said:

Nice work!

Thanks guys, I’ve been having some luck lately.

59 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I don't think there is too much to to be done. They are just a susceptible species that wear themselves out with the fight they put up. The best chance to give them, as with all fish, is to leave them in the water and release as quick as possible using a release weight if necessary and/or practical. Fisheries don't class them as vulnerable etc so taking one every now and then isn't hurting sustainability.

2 hours ago, Cavvy said:

Deja vu for me with the last big threadfin you caught Hamish - the call for help - "fish has gone belly up bring the esky".  Big difference this time was you looked after everything when we get home including all the filleting.  Hopefully will taste good as we've a fair bit to get through!

Any other tips from folk on how to keep these big ones alive?  Maybe the time you had to take getting it landed after it surfaced was an issue - being solo without a net.

You’re right @ellicat, they are not the toughest fish and keeping the odd one is fine too. Lucky they taste good! 

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

I wouldn’t feel bad about it not releasing, I personally would have released it straight into my esky… 😂

@ellicat I don’t know that @Cavvy was deeply concerned about sustainability, my guess would be he was more exasperated that he AGAIN had to rush off with an esky to bring a fish home… on the plus side 3kg of fish @ $40/kg… it’s not the worst result…. That’s how I justify it anyway! 😂

@AUS-BNE-FISHO - might be time to invest in a folding esky, fish bag or similar to be deployed in such situations? Would help you get the fish chilled down quicker and increase the eating quality. 

Yes a folding esky sounds good - I can feel one coming on for Christmas!

Congrats on another great threadie Hamish and also a landbased squire PB, on fire!!!  Enjoy those fillets, it's been a few years since I at them (I still haven't caught one - my brother caught two in the one night with me .......) but they taste great!!  And yes, a fish bag would be a good acquisition 🙂. Be good for Santa ...... 🤣

10 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Good feed on the flesh remaining on the backbone and the cheeks.

Congrats

Ray

18 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Congrats on another great threadie Hamish and also a landbased squire PB, on fire!!!  Enjoy those fillets, it's been a few years since I at them (I still haven't caught one - my brother caught two in the one night with me .......) but they taste great!!  And yes, a fish bag would be a good acquisition 🙂. Be good for Santa ...... 🤣

Thanks guys - I did get the cheek meat and scraped some meat off the backbone so hopefully that will be nice as well.