Poor so & so

AZZA

Hi guys went out on Sunday at 4am from scarbough first stop north reef ,nothing but pickers. Next we headed out to a couple marks in the pearl channel a few small squire & moses perch so we up anchor and headed over to curtian reef with a stop at a marker to gather some liveys . Got over to curtian , sounded around and found a good bit of structure and set the anchor and got some baits in the water.As I was getting the last rod set I noticed smoke comming from a boat about 1kl and getting thicker. Got the deckie to get the anchor in while I pulled the lines in then spun the boat around put the hammer down and used all 115 ponys to get to the boat wich is now well and truely ablaze . Pulled up about 20m short and checked the water for people , nobody in the water so now just hopeing that no one was onboard. Backed us away in case of explosion and contacted VMR . luckly the owner was on the island and wasn't hurt. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_0305_AFO.jpg

post-1766-144598436594_thumb.jpg

Yep... thumbs up for winding in the lines and heading over to see if you could help out. So many people these days just put the blinkers on and pretend they didnt see anything which is a sad reflection on what society has become.

Also think you need to update your camera date. It could be the undoing of a prize winner entry in the FOTM if the photos date stamped 18 months prior.

bootyinblue wrote:

So many people these days just put the blinkers on and pretend they didnt see anything which is a sad reflection on what society has become.

well with your background booty, you'd realise the hassle some of these things can become.

Working for Main Roads I have witnessed my share of accidents, (both vehicles and worksite) if its just damage, you get harassed by insurance companies, solicitors etc for months.

If it was bad enough to involve injury or worse, its often years later you end up getting called to court, or front the coroner (thats one of my pet hates), whilst I will continue to \"stand up\" I can see why people who are aware of what it can involve put the blinkers on. It can be a huge hassle, with no thanks at the end of it all.

we are trained to take meticulous notes (as you would be) I dunno how Joe public is expected to remember details 4 or 5 years after the event!

My dad was actually in Cowan it the time and heard the explosion from the house.

He said it was very fishy.

The evening before:

The bloke was staying at Tangas, and had been out in the boat when he claimed his engine had fallen off. He told them that the engine was in a 'pod' configuration (with the outboard a meter behind the boat (i think)) and it had somehow broken off and was still dangling under the boat, and used one of their mobiles to call his wife in Tangas. When he came ashore he said he was going straight to the cops to do a breath test for the insurance company at which point everyone sort of thought it was a little strange and made them think that maybe there was something else to the story :dry: . He then went back to Tangas where he and his family were staying. That's all I know, apart from the fact that he left a cabin light on all night in the boat. Then in the morning of course is when it exploded.

Joel ;)

Feral wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:
So many people these days just put the blinkers on and pretend they didnt see anything which is a sad reflection on what society has become.

well with your background booty, you'd realise the hassle some of these things can become.

Yea good point Feral... But still good to go over and see if people are ok, from there you can walk away knowing you have done the right thing.

And dont forget in this particular situation Section 130 of the Transport Op Marine Safety Act which says in brief that if a master of a ship at sea reasonably beliefs a person on or from a ship is in distress then the master MUST as quickly as possible go to help that person, unless unsafe or unnecesary (ie 10,000 boats there already). It can incur a 1 year imprisonment for not being done and if the master does not go and the person dies or suffers grevious bodily harm its doubled to 2 years.

I know it could be a bit far fetched and hard to prove or disprove depending on what side of the bar table you are sitting, but its there in legislation.

Yep I agree, I go to anyones aid who needs help, land / water or whatever.

Just got to use a bit of common sense these days. IE if someone flags you down on a lonely stretch of road, keep the doors locked, engine running car in gear, wind window down an inch, and keep it that way until your sure their genuine!

Trouble is its only going to get worse , couldn't help but noitce while touring the kids around the xmas lights the number of parents who think its ok to push their kids in front of other kids instead of being polite and waiting their turn or running wild through the display showing no respect.You can just see these would be the type of wankers that were spining their wheels as they left the lights at a prang on corro drive the other week while I was pacthing up one of the drivers befor the ambos got their.

Archived