Auto or Manual

ellicat

Thinking of getting a dual cab soon.

Have always preferred (in my mind) a manual for a 4wd.

I was pondering this on the weekend and couldn't give myself a satisfactory answer why a manual would be better over an auto.

I'm seeking others opinions on the pros and cons of each.

Possibly a dangerous topic but a healthy and friendly debate would be good.;)

I've only ever owned manual vehicles so that's my second nature.

I drive manual just the same as i would an auto but i find unless the auto box is manualized, i maintain better power with a manual transmition.

Each to there own.

If it wasn't my car i'm sure i could definately find the power from alot of auto cars.

It just wouldn't be good for it.

it really comes down to where you want to go if you want to tow BIG things or if its a commuter car 99per cent of the time

if i were doing a serious off road course with large steep desents i would like a manual or for using the vehicle as a tractor manual

if i was in a shopping /kids trolley auto pulling a van an auto is good and bad long range on the highway in 5th gear the manual is good up the beach doesnt really matter its easy mostly anyway the only time its hard is when you are climbing dunes not many of them left now for you to drive up

if some times you want to off roading but not often just buy the 4x4 you like they all have foibles but most will get there if you want to retire to a beach bum existance and get one for the next 30yrs to fish out of get a ex army landrover they are great but if you like your back kidneys etc get anything else :laugh:

ive just noticed how many cheap looking pajeros there are on ebay that could be worth a look for the best of most worlds they are very car like in their handling :)

ooh yeh if your bogged in an auto vehicle and the wheels spin uslessly then

apply a fair brake pressure with left foot

put car in gear and bring revs up to say 2/3000rpm depending where torque band is

then very very gently remove brake pressure like on a clutch so the wheels bareley turn

this helps heaps and has got me out of all sorts of places :)

jason

Angus wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Wouldn't want to treat my car like a golf buggy though:laugh:

What play polo with it?

Angus

I'm not admitting to anything, but did you ever see that movie Jackass....:woohoo: :unsure::blink:

Definitely will be a dual cab and it will be used doing a bit of bush stuff, a bit of sand stuff, a bit of towing stuff and a bit of domestic duties stuff. The 4WD stuff will be more bush than beach though.

Been there done that with the old drover faulked.

Auto. Most serious comp guys these day use an auto. Just lock it in low if ya need it. Then there is no chance of it jumping out of gear like manuals can do. If people tell you need a manual for real heavy duty 4wding, they dont know shit.

Disadvantage of auto: IF ya stall or stop on a descent. You have to restart the vehicle as normal. In park with foot on break. If its slippery enough you can slide down the hill with no traction or the motor running. With a manual you leave it in geat , foot off the clutch and turn key. Strater motor will move you forward cause you are in gear but once motor fires you are already in low range. Safer than a potential slide down a hill.

With an auto you cant really be push started.

Less chance of wheel spin in an auto. Meaning less chance of spinning wheels and getting bogged.

Gentler acceleration when retrieving boat from a slippery ramp.

Dan23 wrote:

my dad reckons unless you really know what you're doing auto is better for driving on sand. Something to do with getting the wrong gear then when you change in a manual it can bog down.

Anypne that drives in 4wd should know that you choose the lowest geat you will need before you enter the obsticle so you do not have to change gears mid way. The auto should be locked in gear as well cause they will still bog down cause they dont change quick enough.

shortie wrote:

Fisher_90 wrote:
Well for serious offroad as in bush not beach, manual is better, for general offroad use doesnt make much difference and for beach driving auto is better (Debateable) because it doesnt stop the whell movement when u change gears like it does in a manual.

Wrong

Sorry boss, just wat i've read from ausfish offroad chat.

My other site i spend alot of time on.

Look at this thread
/>http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114977&highlight=manual++auto

Fisher: no probs better looking at a 4 x 4 site than a fishing site.

Its like looking for fishing info on a arts and craft site. They can teach you how to knit a fish

Richard

ellicat wrote:

Well they do have at least one new member now:P

There's a whole new dictionary of language for me in that thread shortie:blink: :pinch:

Thanks for that:)

Yep those guys are full on. Have to be careful what you post in that forum cause if you sound like a dickhead they will crucify you. But generally are a great help.

shortie wrote:

My other site i spend alot of time on.

Look at this thread
/>http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114977&highlight=manual++auto

Fisher: no probs better looking at a 4 x 4 site than a fishing site.

Its like looking for fishing info on a arts and craft site. They can teach you how to knit a fish

Richard

:blink: knit a Fish:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Classic

mate i reckon auto, i hate being in bumper to bumper traffic in a manual, also most modern vehicles have split trans, auto for cruising or manual shift for towing 4x4 etc. its easier towing with an auto too.

shortie not havin a go just wonderin. how do you stall an auto?

kriso wrote:

mate i reckon auto, i hate being in bumper to bumper traffic in a manual, also most modern vehicles have split trans, auto for cruising or manual shift for towing 4x4 etc. its easier towing with an auto too.

shortie not havin a go just wonderin. how do you stall an auto?

Kriso. I have a mod in the GU that allows me to manually controll the lockup converter in all forward gears and reverse. Eliminates all convertor slippage and convertor runaway on steep down hill descents allowing full 100% engine braking. Will stall engine if not turned off before stopping! Just like not engaging a Manual clutch before coming to a stop.

Allows for full time Lock-Up in any gear including 3rd when heavy towing greatly reducing transmission over heating, eliminating constant Lock-Up engagement and disengagement

kriso wrote:

nice thats what i thought you where getting at but just quizing to see if you had just a standard setup that was somehow stalling cause then it would be more the engine not the trans. thanks shortie, i bet that setup woulda cost some dough.

Kriso: not as expensive as you would think. Cost about $200.

Im also have front and read Air lockers. Looking at put 35's on and some better diff ratios.

no engine braking on autos on steep slippery/ loose slopes is the only downside . alot better for ascending hills with more control than a manual .

easiest way to descend in an auto on steep hills is to hold foot brake and accelarate till the tacho is on 1500 rpm . this overrides the stall convertor .

i would much have my manual in the GQ AS THE TRANSFER CASE IS CHAIN DRIVEN NOT GEARS B)

oh and all the comp 4wds with autos have gear reduction sets in the transfers , some of them have a 60% reduction on low range 1st gear ........ which is like a bloody tractor

Bill

Archived