Noosa Sound - 23rd March 2008

Terry H

Well, unlike the others I was very keen to go fishing. So keen I arrived at the carpark at 11pm Saturday night!!

Ok, so I needed a place to park the car to have another sleep, and didn't want to sleep at Borumba Dam carpark again:P

Anyway, alarms woke me up at 5am and I looked around to see where angus was. 10 minutes later he arrives and we check out the launch site and then tom and paul (fishyman and UNT) arrive, and we get our gear ready.

No surface action to be seen so we have a few flicks around the rocks and jetty and it's Angus who comes up trumps first with a nice moses.

Before too long he's on again with a nice cod. By this time I'm thinking, "quit using bait and start using some lures Angus!" (blood worm gulps)

I paddle a little further around the corner and see a nice strip of real estate that to me looked to almost have a sign saying "Jack Lives Here" so I have a couple of flicks with my sx40 then troll it along that prime real estate. bam, woot I get my own fish :woohoo: a nice little cod.

Then we head further up the little river there and watch tom struggle with a blow fish or whatever it was :S :kiss: something friendly at least. Before too long it seems everyone is catching fish here but me :( paul hooks up to a little flatty and a bream/cod, can't remember which I'm sure angus hooked another here, and fishyman got a small bream to top it off.

Anyway, we head out across the sound over to Angus' "Party Island". By all his reports he liked to party hard over here. So much so that by the time he came back to the island he couldn't remember all the alcohol he had drunk and left on the island.:P

We head into a nice little creek that's no more than a metre deep and I troll up a nice little flatty on the sx 40 again. I look over to Angus and swear he hooked up to something but he lost it :( Bummer Tom and I check out how far the creek goes but had to turn back before too long. Then we all headed back over to party island and stretch out legs.

Well, Tom and I had stretched our legs when we were standing on the yaks, but oh well:P

Before you could say 'who's on'? Paul had managed to hook him up to the biggest flatty I'd ever seen, a very nice specimen at 62cm. Gee that was a lovely sight. (Before that the biggest I'd seen was about 50cm)

After a while we start to head back, Angus either caught another fish or dropped one can't remember and he has another troll back past this tree that's in the water. by which stage I've hooked up again :woohoo: A nice pike? Not sure, of about 35-40cm. Yeah, thanks for scratching the paint work on the sx40:( Oh well at least it looks like its been used :woohoo: Paul headed back over for a quick snap - thanks mate:)

Off in the distnace we can see tom walking his yak over a bank, by the time paul and I got there angus and tom were looooong gone. not to be deterred I trolled over this bank. Next minute the rod goes back, and I start pulling in what seems like a small fish. It gets close to the yak and I think, gee this is pretty easy. We didn't get a look at it before bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt Nope, it doesn't like the kayak.

And off it shoots.. and again.. and again, by which stage paul had stopped and was watching me fight this fish and it goes everywhere but towards my kayak.

To note: by this stage the wind is blowing and we're getting blown around a bit, but we're still on that 0.5m deep bank.

Anyway, after a nice long tussle - on 8lbs line and 10lbs leader and SX 40 we see some fish swirls.

Then i see a body. Nope definitely not a ray as we'd seen heaps around on this bank. Perhaps its a shovel nose? Looks big enough!

then off it shoots again.

Again I fight it back to the kayak and we get a better look at it. No its not a shovelnose it's one big flathead! Well it didn't like the yak and shot off again, and again by which stage I jumped out of the yak to help land it better and paul did the same so he could hold our yaks in place.

Finally I managed to slip the lip grips in its mouth, and holy crap what a mouth it had! Paul has photos, but I swear a Predatek Sand Viper would be a more appropriate lure than an Eco gear SX40. Anyway, this thing goes in at a massive 96cm. One mammoth flatty.

To top the day off Paul, Tom and I headed back to coolum and had some nice burgers n chips. Woot what a weekend! I'd say that drought is over now:P

Hats off to Paul, his help allowed me to land that flatty a little easier than I would have if I didn't have his help. I would have probably ended up in the bushes on the far bank still trying to land it if it wasn't for him!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes, :( Forgot that :(

Edit: OH YES, HOW CAN I FORGET?

Paul's little message, I think I'd just told him what lbs leader I was using and he said something like "I hope it doesn't bust off...."

Gee, thanks mate. By this stage I was crapping my pants, it's that exact sort of comments that come true:ohmy: Luckily it didn't:P

Sounded like a great session until the big lizzard joined you, then it became legendary!!!!!!

Bloody nice fish that Terry, I'd be smiling for weeks after that effort, you did very well to get him in with light leader, must have pined him in the lip with your lure?

Beaut report fellasB) , sorry to hear about the broken rod angus:(

Archived