Somerset the sequel (or here cod cod cod)

Schultzy

Yeah Deep Purple and I think it's Purple Thing? are my favourite 2 colours in the 65 UD for bass. I haven't really used Hot Tiger nor the black beetle but I intend to sometime..:P

For Cod as well? Interesting. Like I said, I need to get a wider range of depths in the boomerangs from just the ultra deeps, But funnily enough the only colours I have in the 65UDs are: Deep Purple, Purple Thing, Hot Tiger, Yellow Tiger (if thats the all yellow one with black stripes) and black beetle.

Thanks Schultzy. Hope to see you on the water sometime:)

BIG GAV wrote:

Schultzy wrote:

What's your secret Schultzy?

No secret Gav.

I think fishing success comes down to a combination of factors.

I think it was Brian (forgive me I'm wrong) who replied to one of our recent cod posts who just about had it nailed. "Fishing with purpose" was the term he used.

We don't go out fishing for whatever comes along thinking that a cod "would be nice". Nor do we change to small lures after an hour without success to try for a bass or golden.

Confidence in your technique is another factor. That can be hard to maintain if you've never caught a MRC before but is necessary if you are to keep your focus.

On the weekend we fished in exactly the same manner we would have if we were at Glenlyon or Copeton. We used appropriate lures (read BIG) and kept hammering areas that we thought were the most likely to hold a cod...hour after hour after hour.

The temptation was there to change tactic but the lure of the cod kept us focused on them solely.

As Brian says, we fished with a purpose. This time it payed off.

Great looking fish. Great catch.

Agree with single focus fishing philosophy. It can be soul destroying at times though. I have bad memories of trolling and casting at GL for two days (pre dawn to evening) straight one time for not so much as a bump.:blush:

We were not alone though - the weekend report from the Dares was one 6lb cod caught on a handline with bait by a kid 20 metres from the boat ramp :pinch:

Angus wrote:

Is a slow troll preferable?

For example the standard Kayak speed?

Angus

Angus,

Kayak speed is absolutely perfect. I reckon the hush power of canoes and kayaks might just give a slight advantage for some species in shallow water. We certainly caught a lot of big Tinaroo barra from the canoe in very shallow water.

Noise isn't such a factor for cod which tend to be far more curious. I recall having a big cod come up beside the boat in Maroon to have a look at a bass that was splashing around on the surface on one of my lines while I retrieved a fish on the other. (Double hookup, lone angler).

The best cod lures (in my experience) are those that work strongly at dead slow speeds.

I have a big Predatek Viper on which I heated the bib and changed the angle to give it a stronger action. It caught a Somerset cod on Christmas morning for me and has nailed several Murrays in the western streams.

My biggest ever Murray cod was taken trolling on the electric with a fairly flat battery. We were hardly making any headway at all.

ellicat wrote:

Agree with single focus fishing philosophy. It can be soul destroying at times though. I have bad memories of trolling and casting at GL for two days (pre dawn to evening) straight one time for not so much as a bump.

Yes, It can be a tough task to keep on plugging away when the fish won't play the game. I've had similar trips at Glenlyon myself. Twenty hours trolling for a couple of goldens on the big lures and not a hint of a cod. Then we've gone back and nailed them all over the lake on the next trip.

It is the recollections of those succeses that makes it bearable on the quiet days.

Like I often tell my sons during the slow days, it only takes one good fish to make a trip a winner.

Stinger wrote:

Schulty

When you say dead slow troll speed is that say between 1 and 2kph.

Not necessarily that slow. Simply dead slow idle speed, whatever that may be on your boat. Having said that, anything over about 4 kph (not knots) is getting too fast.

My current boat trolls at about 3kph in calm conditions and that works fine. You can go slower by working into a breeze or by towing a pair of buckets. These should be tied to the bow rails in preference to having them trailing out behind.

On the electric we often drop down to 2kph.

Yeah Schultzy I have a 75 optimax on the back of my boat and unless I go into the wind I find it hard to get it to troll much slower than 4kph so I have been using my electric and trolling usually between 2.5 and 3kph.

Had 3 trips toto somerset without any success but I'll keep trying and with a bit of experimentation and reading your articles sooner or later I'll crack it.

Surprisingly enough Stinger...Somerset is actually not fishing too well at the moment.

During the previous two trips, when we weren't exclusively targeting cod, we've only caught a few bass and one lone golden.

I heard about half the competitors in the most recent tournament there went fishless. That usually means things are pretty tough.

Longtail Tony wrote:

I wonder if I can bribe the old man into going back for another attempt this weekend??????

Normally I would succumb to bribes of chocolate or Thai red curry. :P

Not this time though. 25 knot winds, cold southerlies to boot, single digit overnight minimums, rain & possible thunder storms. Hell no!

I’m staying right here at the keyboard and earning some dollars instead.

That way when the weather is good, I won’t have deadlines looming.

TerryH wrote:

Tony, when are you heading out for those tuna in the green yaks?:P Not letting that 25 knot winds and 3.5m wave predictions scare you are you? :laugh:

:D

Terry I am $h!t scared of 3m waves in the Green kayak.

Have you seen how those things steer on calm water?

Imagine trying to ride the face of a big swell in one. It would be a series of about a hundred consecutive Eskimo rolls :laugh: and I can't hold my breath that long :pinch:

TerryH wrote:

Tony, when are you heading out for those tuna in the green yaks?:P

Terry we did go out looking for tuna last weekend but not in the kayaks.

Travelled over 100km in the boat and didn't even see a longtail.

Lots of schools of baby mac tuna though. We spun up 14 of them in about two hours then drove away to find something bigger.

Angus wrote:

I going to get up into those sticks soon.

Is a slow troll preferable?

For example the standard Kayak speed?

Angus

Angus at Maroon dam when we take the canoe and yaks we always get bass & yellows, but when we've taken out the motor boat, nothing:dry:

uglyfish wrote:

never got a cod and im keen as to hook up to one...i was thinking about heading out to gundi next mnth...maybe i dont have too

If you've never caught one it might pay to hone your cod catching technique somewhere with a more substantial population of fish. Several of the western rivers are good options as is Glenlyon. Copeton is a good cod lake too, but is a fair haul.

River fish tend to be smaller on average but there are lots more of them. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/river_cod.jpg

post-108-144598456235_thumb.jpg

Brian D wrote:

Glenlyon is good for cod if your wife holds onto the rod:S Is that a sand viper or the normal viper?

Brian that is a Sandviper. We've been braining the cod on them in the shallows streams of the Granite belt for a few years. Even though they have nothing like a traditional cod lure action the fish love them. Might be that they represent a substantial meal?

Don't tell anyone though...its a secret! ;)

Brian D wrote:

Glenlyon is good for cod if your wife holds onto the rod:S Is that a sand viper or the normal viper?

Brian, Glenlyon is my favourite cod lake. Some big fish living there.

I think Dad and I might be doing an afternoon session there this month on the way past. :cheer:

obone wrote:

How long is the drive to Glenlyon?

Joel ;)

Joel,

I'll time it next Sunday on the way home.

Will be passing through there on Sunday morning & just can't drive past without dropping the boat in for a quick troll. Only have a couple of hours to kill so don't really expect much.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr = frustration of generations or lack there of.

TS you are a lucky guy NS you are a lucky guy too, my son is at war duty in the gulf. :(

TS but to call GL your favourite dam for MC is a big call let's see the proof:P but drop in for a troll from where, where you been?

Anyway thanks for what you bring.:)

Brian D wrote:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr = frustration of generations or lack there of.

TS you are a lucky guy NS you are a lucky guy too, my son is at war duty in the gulf. :(

quote]

Brian,

I can't begin to understand how you must feel with your son serving OS.

I have a 1st cousin who's just returned from a tour but that's just not the same as your own flesh and blood.

Hats off to your lad. Anyone who pulls on a uniform and goes for a walk in the bad lands deserves the respect of the nation.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Brian D wrote:

drop in for a troll from where, where you been?

Brian,

We are heading down to the border rivers area, around Bonshaw for a reunion.

Will hit Glenlyon for a couple of hours on Sunday just to see how much the water has risen since Christmas and to drag that top secret 120mm Boomerang around.

kriso wrote:

as some one that hasnt got a clue about cod or fresh water stuff, do they shut down at all in the colder months?

Kris,

They slow down in winter but if the weather is good you can pick up the occasional fish right through the colder months.

Brian D wrote:

TS but to call GL your favourite dam for MC is a big call let's see the proof:P but drop in for a troll from where, where you been?

We're back Brian. Will post a short report in a new thread.

Oh, and Glenlyon is exactly two hours drive beyond Warwick.

Archived