Wivenhoe- fishing from bank?

TONYMONTANA0

Hey

I've been the first time near the lake in Australia. I chose Wivenhoe. I heard it is a good place for fishing. I have seen some people fishing from the bank.

I bought there the permission for 35 dollars for a year and would like to spend there many weekends.

I don't have the boat and want to go fishing- do you think is it possible to catch something fishing from the bank? I prefer rather using lures- not meat, like these guys I saw were using.

What about the depth in the lake. I saw you wrote about 10-20 metres depth but is the depth close to the banks enough for lures fishing? or it slowly goes to depth?

and also- this permission let me fishing in the other QLD lakes- do you know some of them close to Brisbane and more friendly for fishing from bank?

sorry for my english and thanks for replies...

I can't help with your main query, but there is some reasonable fishing to be had at North Pine Dam. You will see a lot of reports where it is shortened to "NPD".

Have a read of some of those threads and maybe try to arrange a fishing session with some of the other members that go there regularly.:)

Hi Tonymontanao,

I'm not sure where you are staying but if Brisbane CBD is your point of origin, there are other land fishing spots to visit. You may either Google them up and/or dig up older posts on this forum.

Some of them are:

a. Newstead Park (Brisbane River)

b. Deep Water Bend, Bald Hills (river where many types of fish may be caught)

c. Lake Kurwongbah- (Tilapia, Catfish)

d. Lake Samsonvale, ie the North Pine Dam- (Golden Perch, Bass, Catfish)

e. Pinkenba, near the boat ramp (river)

f. Schultz Canal- connected to the bay

g. Redcliffe- bay

h. Shorncliffe- bay

Again, just Google them up or dig up older posts here.

There might be other spots near you.

Good luck and happy casting!:)

EMP :)

I'm sure there are others.

Good thinking EMP.

Here's a great list of places that Viperon compiled a while ago.

(Note - UBD is a street directory available at most newsagents and all good book stores )

Fishing Spots in Brisbane

Suburb Description UBD Page UBD Ref.

Bald Hills Deepwater Bend Reserve 100 A16

Breakfast Creek Newstead House 140 G19

Brighton Park Hornibrook Highway 100 P7

Cleveland Lighthouse 186 F9

Eagle Farm Gateway Bridge 141 M20

Hamilton Bretts Wharf Jetty 140 M18

Indooroopilly Walter Taylor Reserve 178 K7

Indooroopilly Sir John Chandler Park 179 G12

Kangaroo Point Story Bridge 160 B9

Karalee Colleges Crossing 194 F10

Karana Downs Kookooburra Park 159 E4

Manly Rock wall 163

New Farm New Farm Park 160 J11

Nudgee Beach Kedron Brook rock wall 121

Nudgee Beach Jetty nearest to mouth 111

Pinkenba Luggage Point 144 C11

Shorncliffe Shorncliffe Pier 111 F6

Shorncliffe Cabbage Tree Creek 111 E10

South Brisbane Captain Cook Bridge 159 R16

St Lucia Sandy Creek Esplnd Park 159 D7

Toowong Along Coronation Drive 159 C16

Wellington Pt. Wellington Point Jetty 165 D10

Woody Point Woody Point Jetty 91 N20

Wynnum Wynnum Jetty 143 J16

Yes- I live in West End in Brizze but in a month will have to rent a room somewhere...

thx for this- I was fishing here in the river at the beginning but it is difficult. I was always fishing in the lakes in my country and prefer lakes- don't know how to fish in the river- thats why it is difficult and don't know the good places.

ok- you gave me some ideas- great! but what are this numbers after the name?

Mate if you live in West End there is some very good fishing along the river from you. You just need to know the tricks of the trade.

If you fish hard up against the rocks along the edge you will get bream and cod. If you throw out big flesh baits into the river, you may be lucky and get a shark or thread fin salmon.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought the UBD map and I'm really surprised. The locations you gave are so precise!

how is it possible? what is the criteria of these fishing spots?

Tomorrow I will check some of these spots. if I don't catch anything- you will give me money back for this expensive map! :P :P :P

If you go to the lake, tie a small sinker to the end of your line and cast out, then count down while it is sinking to get an idea on how deep it is. Or to get a bit more techo make several casts a little further out each time to find where the drop offs are.

• 2 months later...

at present the fishing areas around Wivenhoe are being looked at from a management perspective. there will be designated fishing areas and a map- leaflet done which indicates where around Wivenhoe you can fish from, at present there are the following-

Spillway Common, only from the 600M mark downstream from the dam wall, the weir and pool below the weir are out of bounds to fishing,

Commorant Bay- all areas within the reserve are open to fishing

Logans Inlet- any area around the recreation area are open

Osheas Lookout- open to fishing only within rec area

There are 2 Clubs with private access leases around the dam-

**Brisbane Sailing Club- Hays Landing and Billies Bay** Membership allows access only into this area

**Grand Wivenhoe Fishing Club- Esk area **Membership gives access to upper parts of the dam.

• 2 weeks later...

Coominya and Grand Wivenhoe are connected, the map for Wivenhoe is nearly done so stay tuned! will organise to post it on here for members to view to clarify a few things in relation to fishing around the dam,it will be simular to North Pine's No Go sign with red lines indicating no go zone and green zones showing the areas where you can fish!:)

Archived