Difference between squidding and eging?

bigtez

How exactly is eging done in asian countries? Locations? Gear? Techniques?

To me it seems to be very different to how we would go squidding here. When I was a smaller kid we would hit the Redcliffe jetty with 2kg spin gear and drop squid jigs below the lights or drop a light and jigs over the side of a boat. Never saw anyone cast a squid jig.

After reading a couple of threads on here it would seem eging and squidding are very different......

from what ive seen on the net, they do it in day time, casting jigs with no glow sticks and give a walk the dog type action to the jig underwater. generally use very long rods im guessing around 8 foot. and double handled reels seem to be the thing in eging. dont ask me why just what ive read/watched

forgot locations, from what ive seen shallow reefy areas seem to dominate and also plenty of sea grass sorta stuff

You're partly right fishyman, no any offence but in australia a lot of people still remain at the concept of eging is still 'put on a squid jig when u see it on the water', in japan the eging fishing has been totally developed, from the gears, theories, techniques and so on.

so far i havent seen a single rod that can fit into eging in Australia so i reckon that makes it difficult to adopt the technique, not to mention the quaility of the egi (squid jig) you find here aswell.

i'm just posting a couple of clips here which i put on youtube about eging hope that would give you some more ideas.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-ZJh4DPsg

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TXCKTEb8bY

fishyman wrote:

from what ive seen on the net, they do it in day time, casting jigs with no glow sticks and give a walk the dog type action to the jig underwater. generally use very long rods im guessing around 8 foot. and double handled reels seem to be the thing in eging. dont ask me why just what ive read/watched

forgot locations, from what ive seen shallow reefy areas seem to dominate and also plenty of sea grass sorta stuff

shortie wrote:

So we are in Australia. In Australia its known as squid jiging. Then lets call it that. will save confuson for 99% of our memebers.

And confusion for new memeber,

but eging sounds better hehehe "lets go eging" hahahahha. jeryl's th man to talk to about this stuff i have seen him catch heaps of times and i have had no luck. it really is a technique/skill of its own. id compare it say bait fishing as to lurefishing.

shortie wrote:

So we are in Australia. In Australia its known as squid jiging. Then lets call it that. will save confuson for 99% of our memebers.

And confusion for new memeber,

Thats exactly why I posted this thread. It was a bit confusing to have 2 names for what is essentially the same thing, just done with a different technique. Although when someone says jigging I think it is working a lure vertically rather horizontally. Perhaps it would be less confusing for us aussies if it was refered to as squidding....

the name's not important at all. the difference between squidding in JP and squidding here's remarkable.

almost all techniques that gets squid's used in squidding in japan no matter if it's vertical or horizontal, walking the dog or jig and pause, fishing weedbeds,jetties, harbours or rock walls. squid jigging's definitely far more productive than the conventional squid waiting game in australia.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

thing's developing though. don't expect ppl speaking EXACTLY the same language as we do 50yrs later.

as well, when u tell a real newbie u'll do some flattie jigging this weekend, i guess he'll have no idea what ur talking about. there is a fishing-specific vocabulary that newbies have to learn while learning fishing.

ummmm this other fishing language thing, your the only one i know on here that uses it! flattie jiging:huh: you mean your targeting flathead on lures maybe.

Where did the idea of catching squid come from ? Or is that a bit of a chicken and eg type question.:P :laugh:

I'm really egjoying this thread. It's an egcellent egzample of egsisting termegnology being subliminally changed.

I don't want to be seen to be egging people on though and don't wish to end up with ink on my face so I thought I'd crack a few jokes insteg.

I'll have to check twice before biting into my negst egg sanga.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Malcolm wrote:

I for one am glad people have called it Eging as I have never herd of it before and I've learnt something else new from being on this site:)

dont get me wrong yes i appreciate learning the fact that they call it eging in japan and about how they design rods specifically for it but ijust dont see the point in calling squiding or squid fishing eging from now on.

kriso wrote:

Malcolm wrote:
I for one am glad people have called it Eging as I have never herd of it before and I've learnt something else new from being on this site:)

dont get me wrong yes i appreciate learning the fact that they call it eging in japan and about how they design rods specifically for it but ijust dont see the point in calling squiding or squid fishing eging from now on.

What about angling,spinning,jigging,bottom bashing,trolling they are all types of fishing

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

haha, it really doesn't matter. i think most australian will still call it squidding at this stage while most immigrants and maybe some young guys will love to call it eging. all in all, still the same thing.

thank you

i say no more:silly:

Archived