Somerset 4/7

Stinger

Ventured to Somerset on Friday 4/7 to see if we could get onto some bass.

Launched the boat about 1:30 pm with a good breeze and drizzle rain on the lake.

Dropped 3 yabby pots in then headed down and spend about 90 minutes trolling the eastern shoreline opposite Queen street without a touch. :(

The mate got snagged up and when we managed to free it we found a he had hooked another length of fishing line that had a nice cod lure hang off it. So add that to the tackle collection. :cheer:

The wind died off and the lake glassed out for about an hour with bait fish getting worked on the surface so we decide to put on a slug and a surface lure and have a toss amongst them but again not a touch.

Ended up changing tactics and flicked a jackal and a spinner bait in a couple of bays. End result of that was 1 less jackal in the tackle box.:angry:

Called it quits about 5:30 as the wind was getting up again and the showers were increasing.

Pulled the pots on the way back to the ramp and managed to get a nice feed of red claw with a couple of them being the biggest Iv’e caught. Ended up with about 18 Red claw :woohoo: That made up for the lack of fish.

Not what one would call a great trip but while the wind was down and the lake glassed out you could not have asked for a more picturesque place to be sitting in a boat.

1 [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Somerset_2.jpg

post-1250-144598464128_thumb.jpg

Somerset is a bit hit and miss last time I went I caught nothing then the time before I got 2 48cm bass in 2 casts along with a few smaller fish durring then day. Those are also some big red claw biggest I have ever seen.

Wow I am super impressed about the redclaw. If you don't mind me asking for detail, what bait did you use? Do you have to put the pots into deep water or target any particular structure to chase them?

I've considered dropping pots in Big W, but supposedly it is clean out of redclaw at the moment.

Werewolf the pots would have been no more than 10mtrs from the bank in 4-5 mtrs of water.

Just used small cans of cat food with holes punched on it for bait.

It seems to be best to leave pots set overnight for redclaw as this is probably when they are most active.

Sweet thanks mate.

Makes sense what you said about night. The one time MANY years ago we got them in Big W, at a particularly rocky location (I would honestly have to ask the person who took me where it was now, I cant remember for the life of me, but I think we turned right just after Twin Bridges and that's all I've got) and it was night time. We would have stayed a few hours and caught quite a few. I can't even remember what bait we used! I do remember Dad's redclaw curry served on rice though:)

Archived