New rod!

nabs

Hey guys,

Im thinking getting a new rod pretty soon.

Looking to spend up to around $450 but not too sure what to get.

I dont want to get a factory built loomis as they are a bit too exxy and for the components they come with, not worth it.

I have been thinking of going to a custom rod. But not too sure exactly on the blank.

I am looking at a 2-4kg rod at least 6'10 in length. Something with plenty of guts but has to have a light tip that will still throw SPs 1/16 and up and HBs like sx-40s and Chubbys.

I would like it to have a bit of bling as well so guys, let me know what you think. The rod mite have to double up as a light bay snapper rod too. I have talked to lee about getting a custom built, just waiting on him.

So let me know on your oppinions on what I should do, I am confused on what to do!:lol:

Cheers

hmm,

Blank wise

United Pioneer PUR70L, having just built up the UL version bloody great blanks and light as :woohoo: that one is 2-3kg 7 foot and 1/16 - 5/16 casting weight. and only weighs 56grams :ohmy: :)

or there is the 1-3kg version PUR70XL 1-3 kg 7 foot 1/32 - 5/16

or there is always loomis blanks, but having just finished a pioneer blank i will be making myself two more using this blank one casting and one midrange spin when funds permit. very lightweight and designed for our australian species.

go with fuji sic guides, or if your feeling special, titanium framed cermets :ohmy: :woohoo: :woohoo:

matagi handle just cause they are awesome :P

EDIT: could even put a megabass style lipstick winding check, nice alloy checks on all the grips. could have both a cork and eva handle very jdm style. custom painted VSS reel seat from matagi. endless options really.

enjoy ;)

easy, they could easily come up with a lighter handle assembly which would then save weight and make the rod more responsive and sensitive.

plus, we all know the saying

"lures catch fishermen, not fish"

i guess its the same for rods :P

plus the build quality of loomis has dropped so much in modern times. but the warranty is good

I have 3 loomis rods, soon to be 4, and i really can't fault them. I' love 'em all. I do admit the components aren't that great considering the price of the rods but the blanks are and the warranty is so so good. Nories is another brand that is worth having a look at....VERY expensive but. If u do like loomis blanks best bet is getting one made up. Like fishyman said then u can what u want down to every last detail.

Ive got an IMX Loomis, I love it to bits. I do like the Loomis rods, its just that I was thinking of getting a bit of bling. I didnt look at getting one from the states and if its that great a deal of saving I mite end up doing that. Not sure on postage for a 1 piece rod though :(

I would really love a custom, love to have a camo EVA split grip. Something a bit more personalized. As long as i have the money, I will be going custom for sure.

camo aye

http://www.matagi.co.jp/2008pdf/p45.pdf

matagi camo, or there is

http://www.therodworks.com.au/index.php?option=com_phpshop&&page=shop.browse&&category_id=372&&Itemid=1

id lean towards Matagi, because i have used the other and its not quite as hard as the matagi stuff. the harder the grip the more vibrations youll pick up through the blank and therefore the more sensitive it would be.

plus with the eva, its always going to be comfortable even if its very hard.

You get it repaired as best you can Dino, then put it in the display case, then buy another one from overseas. Because even if they honour the warranty, the "replacement charge" is still the same price as getting a new one from overseas, and you dont have to go through any hassles.

nabs wrote:

I would really love a custom, love to have a camo EVA split grip. Something a bit more personalized. As long as i have the money, I will be going custom for sure.

Lol funny you say that....I'm getting a split butt camo EVA Loomis built up at the moment!!

I want something lighter than aclonite guides. There is nothing wrong with them, my rods at the moment all have them, I just want a bit more quality.

Its a custom rod so I would prefer it to be top end in most aspects.

i wouldnt go recoils, but thats just me

Fuji TATSG stripper and transition guides with TLSG running guides would be my go

using a 1000 size reel?

could get away with

20 12 8 tatsg 6 6 6 6 tlsg's with a 6 or 7 tip.

if using a larger reel would need to go to a 25 size stripper guide.

saltshaker wrote:

oh ok well i dont know shit about anything like that..mow many grammas wil be saved by useing better guides?

mate the weight saving would be very small, However!

My pioneer blank i just built up weighed 36grams right, now at completely finished stage it weighs 86grams

thats 50grams in guides, reel seats, glue, thread, epoxy etc.

So say the guide set weighs 25grams at a guess, 25 grams is 29% of the overall weight of the rod.

add say 10 grams to that and it becomes 40%

big jump hey? so on ultralight rods IMO it is vital to the sensitivity of the rod to have the lightest components, the lighter the components the less weight the blank has to take and therefore more sensitive.

Think of it this way, say you have a diving board, a diver jumps off the board. now watch how long that board takes to stop vibrating up and down. Now, srtap a 10kg sandbag to the board and the board will vibrate much longer and take longer to return to rest.

i am actually really suprised my new rod weighs 86grams. i reckon i could easily scrap off 10-15grams off that by removing the tiger wrap.

EDIT: for a comparison, my old 1-2kg stick weighs 112grams and my dads 2-4kilo stick weighs 133grams. all the same length by the way.

Archived