Monduran 20/11/to 30/11 2009.

rayke1938

I've started packing too but am lazy so no photo yet, I'll be packing light this year.

I would love a 60cm bass so yes please Ray, pack the shrimp pots.

I'd be happy to chuck in some $$ for a tank full from the farmer.

We do need an option for when the barra go to sleep.

I hope the dam rolls this week so it's got time to settle before we get there, those reports are only average so I hope the major run hasen't started yet.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian D wrote:

I've started packing too but am lazy so no photo yet, I'll be packing light this year.

I would love a 60cm bass so yes please Ray, pack the shrimp pots.

I'd be happy to chuck in some $$ for a tank full from the farmer.

We do need an option for when the barra go to sleep.

I hope the dam rolls this week so it's got time to settle before we get there, those reports are only average so I hope the major run hasen't started yet.

hahhaa brian packing light... yeah right! will buy a lotto ticket when that happens lol

Well I've ony got about a dozen lures :(

But Ray & Brian are walking tackle shops ;) so I'll be able to buy some off them when mine are all gone :lol::lol:

Save me driving into Foxies ;):P

We fished there last Tuesday, (along with about 50 other boats) never saw or heard of anything getting caught.

Theres a fair amount of Blue/Green algae in the main basin,also the cage is there to put 1mtr+ fish into, if ya dont want them,

It was also blowing about 30knts S/Sw , that may have turned them off .

Latest from fishntales.

Cheers

Ray

Lake Monduran Report

Last weekend at Monduran proved to be a pearler, with significant numbers of barra boated. An excellent weather pattern developed with stable weather during the week turning to the NE/NW over the weekend.

A lot of fish came from the front end of the dam adjacent to the main basin, with Bird Bay again featuring heavily. Trollers did quite well during the week as well in the same areas. Hard-bodied lures such as RMG scorpions, Arafura barras, Barra Classics and Predatek Vipers did a lot of the damage for those trolling.

The best bite period coincided with dusk (as usual) with the barra using the low light period to smash the baitfish that are disorientated by the varying light levels. Again, slick rigs, hollowbellies and storm bait’n’twitch are the main producers. It is often found that barra in an area can tune out to the vibration of a particular plastic if the area has been fished previously, so be prepared to change to an alternative. Boofing after dark increased dramatically recently making surface presentations more appealing

During the day a shift to fringing treelines, drop-offs and horizontal timber can be effective in finding more dormant barra. Whilst the same plastics will work in these scenarios, Rapala X-Raps and B52’s are great alternatives. Major points leading into bays fringing the main river sections of the lake are also worth a look during the day. Using your sounder to locate fish can often offer an option as to where fish may feed nearby come dark.

From foxies.

29/10/09

Good reports are still coming in from Lake Monduran with one angler catching over 40 barra over the last week. Casting soft plastics and shallow diving hard bodies around the points and drop offs has been successful. Lures like the 1 metre RMG, Gaden Classic 3 ft and Predatek’s Sandviper have all preformed well casting. Trolling has improved over the past couple of days with deep divers around the dam wall working well. As of yet we still have not had any rain and the hot conditions just keep increasing the water temps. The hot spots have been the entrance to Bird Bay, the southern end of Bird Bay, B, C, and The Pines up the top of the Kolan.

Cheers Foxie

27/10/09

Monduran has started to fire with good reports coming from all over the lake.

Trolling has been a bit slow.

Anglers who cast are having the best results, Bird Bay, B, C, have all been fishing well.

Early morning there is a lot of barra feeding around the mouth of bird bay and casting lures into the bait schools has been very successful.

Casting heavier plastics and deep divers around the main basin has also been working well.

Cheers Foxie

I can just see myself up there now just before sunset trolling around the basin and not even having a chance to finish my beer cause the bloody barra keep interupting. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Cheers

Ray

tough week there lots of people going fish less talking to lady she has been there for 3 weeks and still no luck and there are lots of the same storys going around at moment i caught a few we were only person to catch any this week end that i talked to trolling is not getting any atr moment it seens like casting is way to go and lots of them to

Well sorted my Monduran lure stocks today, will be taking 4 trays, about 48 lures so far. I do intend to get a halco trembler and another colour 150mm deep diver, so will probably have a nice round 50.

I got rid of a lot of lures I just did not like after last year and replaced them with models from makers I did like - IE all the 125 - 150mm Vipers went! useless mongrel things those were! Gave them to a mate who also has not caught a fish on them!

Leaves me with a tray of 150mm deep divers for trolling (wont be casting them for to long, arms would drop off)

A tray of 120 / 125 lures

A tray of Surface and subsurface (to 1m) lures for working over any weed beds, including a couple of big fizzers.

A tray of 80-90mm lures of various depths for casting from the yak. monduran_lures.jpg

Booty, what you need based on previous trips -

- $600 rod to feed to the airconditioner fan god

- $30 sinking lures you can feed to Davey Jones when you cut the main line instead of the tag end (while hanging it over the side instead of over the boat).

- $80 enviro net that only fits 1/3 of a decent barra in it

- Mate with a video taking camera on hand for when you get a hook up on your first cast from the bank, then launching the boat to play it better, only to find you have just spent 5 minutes on video playing a 70cm monduran trout, much to everyones amusement!

- Skeeter repellant, (preferably involving snapper sinkers utilising a surf rod.)

- nice comfy chair for sitting on verandah watching boofheads hit speed bump at 30kph after being to lazy to put restraining strap on boat

- But what you need most of all is a Multimedia mobile phone so you can plague everyone left in Brisbane with multiple pictures of metre plus barra at regular intervals!

Brian D wrote:

Which ones Stu?

Brian slick rigs in evil minnow,drop bear and lorikeet are great same with the hollow bellies in the white and silver colours plus the green/yellow with black back ive caught fish on these and seen others get them too so they work you can add stinger hooks too there are a few differnt ways, a easy way is a hawian clip with a treble placed along middle of jig head and super glue knots plus plastic to jig head.

Heres a pic mate to give you a idea. I caught my last barra on this exact rig.hollowbellie_001_AFO.jpg

Feral wrote:

Booty, what you need based on previous trips -

- $600 rod to feed to the airconditioner fan god

- $30 sinking lures you can feed to Davey Jones when you cut the main line instead of the tag end (while hanging it over the side instead of over the boat).

- $80 enviro net that only fits 1/3 of a decent barra in it

- Mate with a video taking camera on hand for when you get a hook up on your first cast from the bank, then launching the boat to play it better, only to find you have just spent 5 minutes on video playing a 70cm monduran trout, much to everyones amusement!

- Skeeter repellant, (preferably involving snapper sinkers utilising a surf rod.)

- nice comfy chair for sitting on verandah watching boofheads hit speed bump at 30kph after being to lazy to put restraining strap on boat

- But what you need most of all is a Multimedia mobile phone so you can plague everyone left in Brisbane with multiple pictures of metre plus barra at regular intervals!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

what about a wetsuit for when Ferg dumps you over the bow of your own boat when he hits reverse at hal throttle

I've started my prep today, put the boat and trailor in for a service.

New plug,

drain bungs caskets,

oil cleaner element,

impeller,

oil,

casket cover,

racor filter and bowl assembly,

2 discs and caliper pads,

bearing protectors,

caliper mount bolts,

brake cable clamp brake cable,

gear oil plus

300 hour service.

Plus they did some extras at no charge.

Does any of that make sence to anyone? Cause I got no clue.

On the weekend I did my trailer bearings,fitted dura hubs, mounted the spare wheel and hub assembly and fitted the retrievermate to the trailer.

Must say I love the retriever mate it makes the boat a little harder to push off when launching but its great retrieving in wind and current.

Hilux gets service next week .

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

On the weekend I fitted the retrievermate to the trailer.

Must say I love the retriever mate it makes the boat a little harder to push off when launching but its great retrieving in wind

Cheers

Ray

Shouldn't have any trouble launching at the ramp there Ray, Very steep drop off.

Nearly lost sight of my trailer :ohmy: and the boat just floated off :woohoo:

STU wrote:

Brian D wrote:
Which ones Stu?

Brian slick rigs in evil minnow,drop bear and lorikeet are great same with the hollow bellies in the white and silver colours plus the green/yellow with black back ive caught fish on these and seen others get them too so they work you can add stinger hooks too there are a few differnt ways, a easy way is a hawian clip with a treble placed along middle of jig head and super glue knots plus plastic to jig head.

Heres a pic mate to give you a idea. I caught my last barra on this exact rig.hollowbellie_001_AFO.jpg

Thanks Stu but doesn't that stinger pick up weed. I use plastics when casting at weed beds and I want the lure to drop down quickly or stay on top. I would have thought top hooks were best.

In keeping with teh packing light theme I have started going through what is realy needed and what can be left behind. After review I have found that there is a few holes that need filling, namely some 120-140 med water (15') lures.

I also see that I need a few "qantas red heads" and maybe some more purple and pick lures. lures09barra.JPG

The serious weapons are covered but I do think a new HRF with 30lb castaway is required. I don't think I need to re-spool any of these but I might pick up a new spool of 50lb castaway.

The leader material is covered with a range of 20lb to 130lb. If I come accross any 80lb good cheap stuff I might grab that but not realy needed as the 60lb salty is pretty tough. reels2009.JPG

Brian D wrote:

Which ramp Lozz? Is the one near the house still operating?

Yea thats the one, Dirt ramp could fit about 4 accross.Hire boats & pontoon boats are mored there aswell.

Water level may have droped since your last trip cause it drops into the little creek fairly quick.

Had a look at the other concrete ramp further around on the point. People were using it but it's a long, steep run to get to the water.

Putting the Bimini back on this week-end, got too bloody hot last trip and there no cover out on the lake.

Brian D wrote:

In keeping with teh packing light theme I have started going through what is realy needed and what can be left behind. After review I have found that there is a few holes that need filling, namely some 120-140 med water (15') lures.

I also see that I need a few "qantas red heads" and maybe some more purple and pick lures. lures09barra.JPG

Which one's are for me to use,Maateeee :woohoo: ;)

Archived