(2007)monster threadfin kookaburra park

wesfish

here is a old pic from 2oo7 , it was a treadfin 130cm FL which puts it at about 140cm overall , it weighed 18kgs and was caught on my old 3500 baitrunner and taipan rod with 20lb braid, I caught this one after reading some articles about threadfins and baits and rigs used to get em out of an old mag. I used bunched live prawns on a 7/0 hook and 60lb tought trace leader , it took about 7 minutes to land while i tried to opperate the video camera , not very good footage but its on you tube under monster threadfin salmon kookaburra park..I ended up with 12 threadies in o7 with four over the magic mtr mark all caught at kookaburra park in my favorite shark spot.. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/thred_afo.jpg

very nice mate very nice!!! i havent fished kooka in a while cuase last time i was there few blokes pulled knives on each other and i was stuck for an hour talkin to cops because of it, shame as its only 15min drive from home so should get off me bum and hit it up again soon.

Angus wrote:

Mate thats awesome.

So many people were fishing it last summer but the reports from there seem to be a bit dead this time.

Awesome fish though easily one of the bigger ones I have seen.

Angus

they are still there , but just no real size to them alot of 60-80cm ones and few and far between , if the prawns get as thick as they were then it will fire again..I dropped 2 even bigger ones at goodna in the lake about 3 months ago ,they would have easily gone over the 150cm mark , they both took massive boney bream intended for the bigger sharks. 1 of them jumped so high it scared the S@#$ out of me. I couldnt beleive the size of it..Just need to scout the prawns and you can find them ..

wesfish wrote:

here is a old pic from 2oo7 , it was a treadfin 130cm FL which puts it at about 140cm overall , it weighed 18kgs and was caught on my old 3500 baitrunner and taipan rod with 20lb braid, I caught this one after reading some articles about threadfins and baits and rigs used to get em out of an old mag. I used bunched live prawns on a 7/0 hook and 60lb tought trace leader , it took about 7 minutes to land while i tried to opperate the video camera , not very good footage but its on you tube under monster threadfin salmon kookaburra park..I ended up with 12 threadies in o7 with four over the magic mtr mark all caught at kookaburra park in my favorite shark spot.. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/thred_afo.jpg

:woohoo: what a effin' beast respect man:woohoo:

dan25 wrote:

awesome mate!!, good work. If i went to Kookabura park and fished Landbased, what would be the best bait to catch them on??? And what is there average size??

Dan live baits live baits and live baits.

Around Kooka you can get Prawns and bony bream in good numbers. (Although i dont know what the prawn situation is like after the rain). Anyway those baits live are the best.

I have seen members like werewolf get them on random dead baits, but im sure he like most people would agree live is by far and away the best.

They aslo take lures, but id try livies first.

Angus

dan25 wrote:

awesome mate!!, good work. If i went to Kookabura park and fished Landbased, what would be the best bait to catch them on??? And what is there average size??
live prawns the best , but u can use mullet and boney bream , but you really need alot of hook exposure ,other wise they just scale your live bait for you .lol [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/prawns_afo.jpg

wesfish wrote:

Angus wrote:
Mate thats awesome.

So many people were fishing it last summer but the reports from there seem to be a bit dead this time.

Awesome fish though easily one of the bigger ones I have seen.

Angus

they are still there , but just no real size to them alot of 60-80cm ones and few and far between , if the prawns get as thick as they were then it will fire again..I dropped 2 even bigger ones at goodna in the lake about 3 months ago ,they would have easily gone over the 150cm mark , they both took massive boney bream intended for the bigger sharks. 1 of them jumped so high it scared the S@#$ out of me. I couldnt beleive the size of it..Just need to scout the prawns and you can find them ..

Thats awesome mate.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Angus

the after math of a big thready mick was busted off on at riverside using a surf rod to cast the lure further ,end result sore knuckles and a lost lure , but 2 days later i found the lure about 800 mtrs from where he lost the fish,, the lure is cracked and sanded, notice the flat head in this picture i caught on a long bomber , it was while i was landing this fish i found micks lure floating past.lol [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/lure_afo.jpg

threadybuster wrote:

wesfish wrote:
na they didnt think of it at the time , i didnt have a camera so james took some pics for me , they did have it laying on a brag mat it and went way past the end by a tail length and a bit..

haha good old charltons? pure beast. is there any photos of it on a measure

cool mate, maybe give the lipless jackalls ago like the mask vibe which people have been getting heaps at the mouth on, or maybe some prawn immitation plastics, because ive never seen a big thready come from kooka area on lure before.

Whats your biggest upriver shark?

pinkey wrote:

cool mate, maybe give the lipless jackalls ago like the mask vibe which people have been getting heaps at the mouth on, or maybe some prawn immitation plastics, because ive never seen a big thready come from kooka area on lure before.

Whats your biggest upriver shark?

my biggest boated is 142cm ,but no camera and i could not resist letting it go in front of the skiers back at the ramp , but i have had 2 sharks at about 180cm+ next to the boat but neither one of my friends wanted them in the boat , they were to scared to tail grab them lol, I find that the bigger sharks are at kookaburra august through to september , dont know why but thats when we experience the bigger ones, and once summer kicks in just keep getting the new borns through to 120cm.. [img size=337]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/micks_shark_135cm.jpgthis one of micks at 135cm

pinkey wrote:

awesome mate! some top fish there great effort.

Have you ever caught or seen tarpon or jacks round kooka?

yeah i use to chase the tarpon at johnsons rock when i was younger , i used a home made popper and even hooked up some small bullies on it aswell , i have seen a big jack at colleges crossing under the bridge while snorkling on low tide at the begining of 07 , it would have nearly gone 60 cms , it was curious at me swimming past and came right out to check me out.. but never caught one up there yet!!yet!!

Wes

You are a true gent sharing thready info. A lot of people get vary cagey when it comes to discussing where / how on threadies! Thanks for sharing those awesome pics too! It make me keen to leave a bait out on mono just in case:) Do you float your thready baits? Whenever I have tried live prawns on the bottom, the crabs and catties take them within minutes grrr.

Angus wrote:

I have seen members like werewolf get them on random dead baits, but im sure he like most people would agree live is by far and away the best.

I wish I could claim that lol Angus. I've only ever seen two in my life. Romeo's brother snagged the one you are referring to on a piece of pike eel fillet, rigged on wire! The only other we have caught was in my castnet lol. For sharks at least, I'll agree live is best, but bigger isn't necessarily better:)

Nearly all of our shark baits are on wire, so I think that's why we don't see many threadies. There have been a few reports on here though of peeps using wire (as Wes mentioned above, or at least I think he meant as if you had a big boney out for sharks, you would want to be on wire!). I want to try using circles and mono trace more. It will cost a few sharks, but hey the hook up rate in the first place might be greater to compensate...

werewolf wrote:

Wes

You are a true gent sharing thready info. A lot of people get vary cagey when it comes to discussing where / how on threadies! Thanks for sharing those awesome pics too! It make me keen to leave a bait out on mono just in case:) Do you float your thready baits? Whenever I have tried live prawns on the bottom, the crabs and catties take them within minutes grrr.

Angus wrote:

the first thready was on nylon coated wire, and i use a small pea sinker just enough to keep the prawns mid water in the currant , as saying that it is the same with my shark rigs to keep the bait away from the crabs and catties, it just takes some testing in sinker size to keep it mid water depending on tidal flow..

I wish I could claim that lol Angus. I've only ever seen two in my life. Romeo's brother snagged the one you are referring to on a piece of pike eel fillet, rigged on wire! The only other we have caught was in my castnet lol. For sharks at least, I'll agree live is best, but bigger isn't necessarily better:)

Nearly all of our shark baits are on wire, so I think that's why we don't see many threadies. There have been a few reports on here though of peeps using wire (as Wes mentioned above, or at least I think he meant as if you had a big boney out for sharks, you would want to be on wire!). I want to try using circles and mono trace more. It will cost a few sharks, but hey the hook up rate in the first place might be greater to compensate...

wesfish wrote:

the first thready was on nylon coated wire, and i use a small pea sinker just enough to keep the prawns mid water in the currant , as saying that it is the same with my shark rigs to keep the bait away from the crabs and catties, it just takes some testing in sinker size to keep it mid water depending on tidal flow..

Cheers mate! I figured as much about targeting midwater. Using live fish for sharks I find they can survive the rubbish on the bottom for a while, but fillet baits we fish mid water (most the time). I might have to persist with prawns midwater for that thready lol.

BTW for anyone interested, as we bank fish, we use a BIG sinker above a meaty float, both free running so we can fish the surface and the bait stays put against the current. Alternatvely we target midwater by using 2 long droppers. One with a fixed float and the other with a fixed sinker to target mid water. This one is a poo to cast, but with strong line and a long heavy rod, using 2 5 foot droppers gives you 10 foot of clearance from the bottom (with no current of course, with current it might be 5 to 6 foot above the bottom).

• 4 weeks later...

its not for the sharks but for the threadies that are there at the moment that are surface feeding and smashing up the small prawns, lol, they range from 70cm-1mtr and appear fairly thick...i have got a few interested in the middle of the day but night would be better!!! good luck to all out there as the sharks are thick as well!!!

Archived