Kookaburra Park - Australia Day 26-01-07

Angus

Troy and I had been talking for ages about catching a shark from our kayaks. So on Australia day we decided to make this happen. The plan was to fish all night at Kookaburra park for Bullies and whatever else took out baits, and then as dawn approached launch the Kayaks and try for a shark. Travis, Rowena and Ash also put ina good appearance. It was an interesting night!

As it was a very long night its hard to keep everything in order but ill try and give you a basic run down. As i was waiting for Troy and the cast net to arrive i noticed a fish dead on the bank that looked fresh. In my head i was like \"Well i might as well put one bait out while a i wait\". To my surprise this fish turned out to be a 30cm odd Threadfin Salmon. Another guy on the bank informed me a fishermen that left prior to me arriving had killed it for a catfish :angry: My mixed feelings were basically \"what an idiot\"! and \"there are threadfin here\"!

After Troy rocked up we had no problem securing bait. The cast net also showed some very interesting results non bait wise as well. I knew there were often rumors of good fish at kookaburra park, but nothing prepared me for the proof. Over the night we netter 100's of bream, 100's of winter whiting, a few dusky flathead and a flounder. Not to mention heaps of bony bream, silver biddies and mullet for bait.

Before to long we had about 5 shark lines out all with good livies. I will compress the next part of the report as it spreads over a good 12 hours with lots of little details that might not be so interesting! First decent fish caught was a little 40cm Threadfin Salmon by me. Yay. First one on a rod. Heaps of catfish and pike eels were caught over the. But other notable catches were a huge 2.78 kilo catfish to me and a nice 62cm Threadfin for Ash.

Ok now for the bad news, (werewolf I hope your listening) we managed to hook onto about 15 times what could have only been sharks. Our lines would get picked up and run hard and fast. Each time we got raped! Either the fish was dropped or our traces bit off! Now we were only using Amart style traces, but I seriously thought for the sharks present this would more than suffice. After all we knew they were frequently caught there with no wire at all!

The other frustrating loss was in the light of dawn. Troy and I were out in out Yaks and my live Bream bait got picked up by something big! Turned my Kayak fully around and started towing me off towards Troy’s Kayak. Just my luck. I got rubbed off on Troy’s Yak! It was about then I gave up.

So my ears go out to Werewolf and Romeo. What were we doing wrong! If we had landed half the sharks hooked we still would have had at least 6 or 7! Anyway on that note I will be back before the summer is over!

Over all, despite the frustration, I must say it was a pleasant and enjoyable trip. It was good to see so much life that far up river. Also there only about 1 30min window when nothing at all happened so it was always exciting.

Hope everyone else had an awesome Australia Day fishing weekend!

Good fishing.

Angus

Picture: Troy castnetting our bait. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Castnetting.JPG

post-63-144598406485_thumb.jpg

angus- that mystery fish....i think its a \"crimson tipped Flathead Gudgeon\" small to medium sized,bottom dwelling,mostly freswater and estuaries.......well that is whats written in the \"wold guide to moreton bay\"....the pic in there looks very very similar...

ash- nice threadie! when am i gunna get one:pinch:

Mate you bet I am listening:woohoo: I've been waiting for this report.:cheer:

For the mystery fish, I think maybe some sort of gudgeon? I have been netting a few too and damn they can be near impossible to get out of the net. I have also caught flathead and toadfish (and the millions of bream) from the area recently.

We have caught sharks from that bank too:) The big snag poking out is the only problem:(

We fished Kookaburra at low tide two weeks back (not recommended, too shallow and muddy), I didn't bother posting a report on here as it was \"mainly\" slow (there is a report on my site). Pretty much nothing happened until half way through the run in then bang, 20 cm mullet below 2 foot of wire bitten clean off, again! It was on for 1 second tops. I have started making 3-4 foot traces as I am getting bitten off way too much now I have started using livies:blush:

There have been plenty of salmon reports for the area lately. Just this morning Romeo's bro got a 60cm salmon using eel fillet on his shark rig at the Junction. Another random caught one on a dead prawn, but only about half the size. I am insanely jealous as I have never caught a salmon. I caught monster prawn after monster prawn in the net during BRC06 at Kookaburra so I am getting keen on doing a night trip there, particularly after reading your report. More jealousy!

Oh a random at the junction told me a that a fishing club there recently was getting 4-5 footers at Kookaburra:woohoo: Are you sure you want to yak sharks?

Mate i honestly would not be surprised if the shark that i got in the yak was a 4-5 footer. You should have seen the pick up adn bend in my rod.

Next time im going to use longer traces and play a big over gunned.

Im thinking the theories after all are true and there are a fair few big girls up there at this time.

Good luck with your next trip there its got some serious potential.

Angus

Great catch with the salmon. I was there at dawn but didn't have much success at all. Did hook into one shark but after a strong run came back with my 50cm trace missing. Will have to have another go after reading your story. Would love to get a salmon.

Joe

Yes Travis did find the dead Salmon on the bank.

Being dead already it ended up as shark bait.

Most shark hits were on live mullet or silver biddies.

As Travis mentioned Paul Roubiek was also present. He was filming for a doco he is doing on Bull Sharks. Did not think there was really much to mention in regards to that as we did manage to give him any decent shark footage :(

Angus

Archived