report of the month submission advice

thousandyards

angus asked me to move this into a new thread for some advice on reports:

- use paragraphs.....it's really hard to read 40 lines of text with no breaks. keep paragraphs to 5 lines max

- if it's a weekend trip split it up into days or even morning/afternoon sessions with some headings or something

- put your photos in the section of the report it applies to. might have to spend some time getting the imaging tags right but it makes it a more compelling read. helps to break it up as well

just some ideas to make things easier to read. there's been some great reports posted here and it'd be a shame for people not to read them just because the formatting isn't great.

also, the better the formatting, the easier to read and the more likely to win!!!

werewolf......great point!! dates, places and if it was AM or PM.....

might be good if people could post details (if they know them) as bullet points at the start of their posts too - like this:

17/5/09 - PM

Pinkenba landbased

Falling tide - High at 7pm

Bait: livies, pillies. SP's

might help if people are after some basic details that aren't there. not that it would be compulsory....just helpful. especially from some of the regulars who know their stuff

All these are good suggestions.

As mentioned in previous posts there are few things I look for when judging.

* Quality of writing.

* Quality of photo's.

* Quality of capture.

* How entertaining is the read.

* How helpful the report is for others. Example, how much information and techniques are disclosed.

The more of these attributes found within the report the the chances. Nothing wrong with a good old fashion brag! But for the purpose of the competition we are looking for a bit more than that.

Cheers.

Angus

is there a function here that allows me to save what i have written without it being submitted, as sometimes when i go for a good hit up, the actual prep starts days beforehand, eg. i am intending to fish this weekend and started getting bait today, and tomorrow, and couldn't be bothered writing it all up on the day? if there's anything to write up! :S

noname wrote:

is there a function here that allows me to save what i have written without it being submitted, as sometimes when i go for a good hit up, the actual prep starts days beforehand, eg. i am intending to fish this weekend and started getting bait today, and tomorrow, and couldn't be bothered writing it all up on the day? if there's anything to write up! :S

Rob there is no function so to speak that can do that.

But you can easily just write it on a Word Doc or even notepad and save that.

When you have finished just create a report and cut and paste text into it...

Angus

With out trying to flog a Dead horse multiple pics in posts help ;) as apposed to multiple posts to display pics ;)

If you can't get your head around it and need help send me a pm and you can come to my place and I'll show you just how easy it is ;)

Cheers Gaz

or if you get a group together I can come round and show you :)

Gazza wrote:

With out trying to flog a Dead horse multiple pics in posts help ;) as apposed to multiple posts to display pics ;)

If you can't get your head around it and need help send me a pm and you can come to my place and I'll show you just how easy it is ;)

Cheers Gaz

or if you get a group together I can come round and show you :)

Gazza there are a couple of probs with photo bucket etc in a forum which have recently come to light for me.

* If someone in the future deletes their account all photo's in the forum dissapear.

* Also if there is a forum upgrade and images are lost its better if they have been uploaded into the system as we can replace and fix.

Therefore although it creates multiple posts, I prefer to do my report photo per post now.

If each image has a decent caption or narative, it can still be great.

With this in mind, one post or multiple posts wont be weighted differently against each other.

Angus

Angus wrote:

* If someone in the future deletes their account all photo's in the forum dissapear.

* Also if there is a forum upgrade and images are lost its better if they have been uploaded into the system as we can replace and fix.

Exactly why I have never done used Photobucket etc. Plus it saves me having to do the same work on two websites! What would be really cool (and I think people have asked for it before) is to be able to load pics into a AFO gallery of some sort (multiple pics at once!) and be able to view the URL pointing to them such that we can link to them in posts.

[wow that is rather hard to read lol]

i stick to multiple posts for a few pic's.

then i don't have to join other sites (photo bucket etc)and load them there then link them to here.etc

also some of these sites time out after so many views and linking used.

not sure id photo bucket dose but geocites did,but that was a while ago i used them.

used to use some for pic's and video cause sites i was on couldn't handle big file sizes,or only allowed small picture size like the avatar pic's here,etc.

find the picture sizes here quite good now.:)

still prefer to load them to the site i want them on if i can.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived