Gearing Up For The Big One - BRC 2009

Angus

Well its that time of year.

Team AFO has kicked off in full swing the organisation for the Brisbane River Classic.

There will be a few subtle changes we think are for the best, but essentially the competition will be the same as always.

We look forward to seeing a lot of you there!

Not all details are finalised so go easy on the questions at the moment, but we will be posting more information over the next few weeks as it firms up.

One thing I can confirm already is the competition categories which were finalised last night.

2009 BRC Categories:

Longest Bream

Longest Shark

Longest Threadfin Salmon

Best Misc Fish

Best Misc Fish Junior

Longest Catfish

I can also confirm the competition will be 100% photo entry allowing for 100% catch and release by those that wish to.

Cheers.

Angus

webbfunk wrote:

Good to see that there is a category for threadies this year. That should make the miscelanious category alot more interesting.

Thats essentially the idea.

Also we feel that the Threadfin have truly become an iconic Brisbane River fish. It would be a shame to have a Brisbane River comp without giving them more recognition! But yeah I agree, the Misc will be far more interesting and competitive now.

And yeah mate, the comp will def be a 2 day event.

Cheers.

Angus

think i will do in the BRC this year .

last year when the BRC was on i was a very very newbie to AFO.

mite have a team :Davo's Delinquents or Rat Bags .lol

this will be good ,:)

have really enjoyed the last to comps/socials i have been in.

the first 2 where good 2 just i turned up real late and missed most the action .

webbfunk wrote:

Is there teams this year? Or all individual like last year?

This is one of the things we are still deciding.

To be honest though induvidual entrants are much better.

THe number one reason for this is prizes.

If 3 people win first place and the prize is 1 Kayak or 1 Rod its not much good.

Angus

fishing_hardcore wrote:

Im keen to make an entry into the comp this year, I have missed so many.

Im up to lend a hand where ever needed.

cheers

Cool mate. BRC is easily our biggest event.

Should try and make it to the Flathead Social, or even the Sharking Social I am going to put together for Kooka soon.

Prob a better chance to meet fellow members.

Cheers.

Angus

ryanyoung wrote:

I am keen as mustard for this comp, should be awesome! :woohoo: . Do we have rough dates yet? Hopefully the boat will be ready to go :fishing: !

We dont have rough dates.

We have precise dates :)

21/11/2009 - 22/11/2009

Precise timings to be posted later. But it will roughly be an early morning Saturday Start with a Sunday afternoon final entries and prize presentation/BBQ.

Angus

aye guys, seening ive never entered the BRC, i was just wondering were everyone normally fishes? Do most people fish from boats, kayaks and near the mouth or do others go up to places like colleges crossing, kooka park etc? Just interested to know, atm im thinking of sticking to places like kooka park.

Travis wrote:

correct me if im wrong anyone, but im pretty sure you can fish anywhere in the river dan... as long as you get to the photo entry at colmslie on sunday

Trav your pretty much right mate.

The whole River below the Wivanhoe Dam wall to the Mouth is fair game.

We will release the details with exact boudaries when the official article goes up.

Angus

mick fillet wrote:

If the boundaries for the comp go to the wivenhoe wall where is the insentive for people to fish the fresh as there is no placings for bass.I know you cant please every one. I will be fishing the salty part of the river this was just a thought thats all.

We have thought of that.

But we obviously always need to try and please the larger group.

So few people fish the fresh for this comp that we have focussed on lower river species. Would more people fish the fresh if there was a prize? Maybe we can find out in future events.

At this stage though Bass, Yellas etc would fall under "Misc".

Angus

Yeah prob be on the water just prior to start time Sat morning fish all day Sat then

Depends on social activities party @ HQ etc sat night if not anchor up and spend the night on board can sleep 3 easy and has a crapper onboard if needed :P

and may need 2 deckies but must be committed to the W/E got shit loads of I can do Sat arvo etc or can only do sunday so if your keen for the full comp let me know ;)

Cheers Gaz

Archived