What is your most embarrasing fishing moment???!

batman

Not sure if I should admit to this but what the hell, I am sure we have all had something happen that was hilarious!!!

I decided to go for a yak fish last night I decided to go have a flick around Giriween Park Creek, with the moon full and the tide coming in I didn't think I would have a good sesh but I managed to drag two decent sized Bream out from the bridge pylons. Then things went really quite!

I was a good 30m from the bridge and I decided to do a hail Mary cast, it all went horribly wrong and my TT Switchblade went up and over the bridge railing…………..I hooked up to a car coming along Tennyson Memorial Ave and GOT SPOOLED!!! :P

There I was 10pm on a Sunday ave in a tiny little creek laughing my head off!!! OMG how embarrassing!!

So if you any of you peeps have a TT switchblade hanging off ya bumper next time you wash the car …please can I have it back!! Lol! :S :blush:

That's funny...

To keep the ball rolling....and not quite as bad....

My first yak trip at Scarby, I left the 2 rear windows down on the car...

Was out from 6am till midday...

:blush:

Got back and nothing was nicked. :ohmy:

I'd left a spare rod in the car and a bit of fishing gear. All still there.

Musta been focussing on getting out on the water more than locking up.

mine would have to be the first pin flathead hunt i was in my boat and lozzel and rocket where in lozz's and we had been fishing for quite a awhile so i thought i would pull up at one of the islands and jump off to stretch the legs, well stepped off the boat and went straight up to me tits in mud while lozz and rod had a good ol laugh lol lozz had to chuck me a rope so i could get out!

While trolling for marlin one day off Yamba, had a rod go off and after winding in the other 3 rods managed to get a nice sized Dolphin Fish along side the boat. As i went to gaff the bastard, he splashed me in the face, causing me to clean miss him and fall onto the seat and on top of a 10' hardbody i'd just pulled in. The solution was to take my pants off for the remainder of the fight. Very strange feeling pulling a 132cm fish into the boat with no pants on! I'm just glad i was fishing solo!!!

mine would be after chasing long tails with terry and lee off bribie a few summers ago, i was preparing to go ashore. carefully watching the swell (if ya can call it swell :blush: ) i began to paddle like hell to hit the beach.got flippped and got smashed in to the sand. broke a rod,lost pliers,braid snips and a heap of metal slugs and jih heads and my dignity! phone got ruined,ciggis got wet.right in front of a heap of hot chicks on the beach! picked my self up and i reckon i threw my kayak about 50 mtrs! amzing how far it went! :laugh:

sold the kayak after that day..was over it!

kriso wrote:

bahahahahha! thats awesome! james W has a story that will require a sudden toilet break after reading lol

i think you mean this one??

years ago when i was a bit of a ratbag, i was fishing in the mary river up maryborough off this bridge i caught a catfish bout 30cm and was trying to cast it back out, over to hit a car on another bridge .( i said i was a ratbag!) it wasnt going to make it so i wrenched back on the line. the catfish came back at me 1000 miles an hour! headed right my my family jewels! i quickly turned around and WHACK! the side spine went right in my inner thigh bout a cm from my nuts! it snapped off too! the pain was incredible and we were on push bikes. a mate quiclkly ran to the nearest house and got his mum to pick us up..so there i was on my knees with bum in the air in the back of her van on the way to hospital.. they had to cut it out..now thats karma! :blush:

So who's seen "The Castle"...

You know the line "Look at that...Bends right around on itself" as Mr Kerrigan bends the tip of the rod down to the main shaft.

Love that line and quote it almost everytime i fish.

Just bought a new rod from k-mart (cheapie), brought it into the room to show my friend, grabbed the tip and did the motions to "look at that, bends right around on itself". Only i got to the "bends right...SNAP!!!!" :laugh: The rod snapped in two on the same day i bought it cause i was being stupid. ;)

I don't quote that line too much anymore :cheer:

we had probably been dating a whole 3 months and this guy took me out fishing (not mentioning any names) anyway James got pricked by a "happy moment" we spent the rest of the day him sobbing saying"its not a very happy moment" not my most embarassing but should be up there with his!

another is the time James took me to go "see all the pretty lights" at boggy creek, you guessed it...two hours later, knee deep in mud, reversing back and forth we finally got out...another great date!

for me the most embarassing was in Fiji, we were out on a double kayak and James was pulling fish after fish in and after sitting in the pouring rain for too long I decided to paddle us in while he continued fishing. We were soaking wet and I was struggling in the wind and rain but paddled us straight up past the resort in front of everyone while he kept trolling! For the rest of our stay, we had women hoping we weren't on our honeymoon and blokes saying I was a keeper!

I have several but the one that was even mentioned at my wedding reception was.....the day I was with a mate trolling for bass, and i had set my rod holder at a little too high an angle and you guessed it, upon a ferocious strike the rod shot out of the holder and was fast disappearing into the drink!

Without hesitation i launched myself, hat, sunglasses and all into the water and grabbed the butt of the rod. I managed to surface and with the fish still on, treaded water and played it into the net boatside, after my mate had taken control of the boat and reversed up quite some distance.

I then hauled my sorry ass over the gunwhale to a few cheers from quite a few lookers on, it was just a little embarrassing... :ohmy:

Mick.

PS. I recall i actually was bass fishing with the same mate on a diff occasion around midday bright sun middle of summer, we had not had a touch all morning. In desperation he starts throwing a large surface lure around, i say that's all wrong fishin surface in here middle of the day.... "I'll eat my hat if you get one on that!" Next cast he gets smashed up by a massive fish and then asks me if i would like salt and pepper with my hat!!!

mrsjimmybob wrote:

we had probably been dating a whole 3 months and this guy took me out fishing (not mentioning any names) anyway James got pricked by a "happy moment" we spent the rest of the day him sobbing saying"its not a very happy moment" not my most embarassing but should be up there with his!

another is the time James took me to go "see all the pretty lights" at boggy creek, you guessed it...two hours later, knee deep in mud, reversing back and forth we finally got out...another great date!

for me the most embarassing was in Fiji, we were out on a double kayak and James was pulling fish after fish in and after sitting in the pouring rain for too long I decided to paddle us in while he continued fishing. We were soaking wet and I was struggling in the wind and rain but paddled us straight up past the resort in front of everyone while he kept trolling! For the rest of our stay, we had women hoping we weren't on our honeymoon and blokes saying I was a keeper!

well! the lights are pretty at boggy creek! :P

and as if i wasnt gunna troll all the way back to the resort in fiji! hahah!

I have several but the one that was even mentioned at my wedding reception was.....the day I was with a mate trolling for bass, and i had set my rod holder at a little too high an angle and you guessed it, upon a ferocious strike the rod shot out of the holder and was fast disappearing into the drink!

Without hesitation i launched myself, hat, sunglasses and all into the water and grabbed the butt of the rod. I managed to surface and with the fish still on, treaded water and played it into the net boatside, after my mate had taken control of the boat and reversed up quite some distance.

I then hauled my sorry ass over the gunwhale to a few cheers from quite a few lookers on, it was just a little embarrassing... :ohmy:

Mick.

PS. I recall i actually was bass fishing with the same mate on a diff occasion around midday bright sun middle of summer, we had not had a touch all morning. In desperation he starts throwing a large surface lure around, i say that's all wrong fishin surface in here middle of the day.... "I'll eat my hat if you get one on that!" Next cast he gets smashed up by a massive fish and then asks me if i would like salt and pepper with my hat!!!

I was pulling a monster of the deep up, it was really straining me, i would get it up a bit, it would take some line, etc... was really punishing me on 30lb braid. Called it for a stingray as it took sooo much to move. Got it up and it was a great big dirty stone... The rocking of the boat and the drag setting was just enough to keep pulling line as the boat moved down a wave...

My mate had a good laugh at my big fish. Needless to say, it was released due to the poor eating qualities!

This moment wasn't mine, and I bet the person in question won't fess up to it, so I'll tell the story to keep his anonimity.

Fishing the pin from his boat, and doing well on the flathead, We pulled up in Cobby passage to clean my fish while he kept fishing. As I tried to untangle the anchor rope I made some comments about the birdsnest I was dealing with. Well, apparently he doesn't need an anchor.

So, a few minutes later I hear, "Sh1t! the boat" and its floating in the tide and current about 30m out. He starts stripping and gives chase. Not real fit, he runs out of puff and luckily the boat grounds on the mud not too far away so he can clamber on board.

I was told to keep it our little secret, but its OK, only you know who you are ;)

mine would probably be when i first got my cast net and I was up at noosa on an ice cold winter morning casting for basically the first time. There were quite a few people watching me who were eating breakfast at some restaurant and after a few throws some failed some alrite I threw again and it was PERFECT i was so impressed...then the rope followed! :( quickly stripped down out of my warm trakkies jumper and beanie and dived in after it haha...needless to say I was embarrassed and cold, though it was surprisingly refreshing haha

mine would be a 10 min fight to pull in a bit over a meter log shark.

or getting pissed and deciding to go flick lures to have lures hanging out of my clothes everywhere .wake the mrs up 5 am in the morning to cut them out for me .

flicking lures in winter at darlington park ,upper Albert river .lure stuck in tree ,got it back ok .go to walk across the river and next min i'm swimming 1 arm other holding rod .then climb a 30 foot high muddy bank.it kept a few amused watching me.

sitting on the nose of a mates severly overpowered tinny when my mate found a sand bar at full noise one night

i did a fairly creditable superman for 10 or so meters through the moonlight

followed by a face plant full pike and mutate into the yabby bank

i had mud running out of every hole in me

and my forhead looked like it had been hit with a sander

funniest one i've ever witnessed was a fella sitting in a tinny who dropped a LARGE happy moment into his lap :blink: multiple stings to the tackle

jumped up to get the fish away and fell out of the tinny

there was this one time, at band camp...er i mean winter camp when me and terry had a bottle of johnny red under our belts and decided to go on a night mission to find "some fishing hole" that steve wilkes told us about. after a few hours of climbing over a burnt out bridge (the nxt day we realised how bloody dangerous that thing was!) and following a trickle of water in complete darkness with only a tiny led light which was a key ring! :blink: we both had massive drunk stacks and were wet head to toe in the middle of winter in the middle of the goldcoast hinterland! we scaled cliffs,waded thru waist deep pools,fought off a yowie and finally made our way back to camp... steve took one look at us and pissed himself laughing! :laugh: we were knacked,cold and drunk as skunks.

if we only walked 20 more metres we would have found that "fishing hole"!

sigh..the memories terry B)

there was this one time, at band camp...er i mean winter camp when me and terry had a bottle of johnny red under our belts and decided to go on a night mission to find "some fishing hole" that steve wilkes told us about. after a few hours of climbing over a burnt out bridge (the nxt day we realised how bloody dangerous that thing was!) and following a trickle of water in complete darkness with only a tiny led light which was a key ring! :blink: we both had massive drunk stacks and were wet head to toe in the middle of winter in the middle of the goldcoast hinterland! we scaled cliffs,waded thru waist deep pools,fought off a yowie and finally made our way back to camp... steve took one look at us and pissed himself laughing! :laugh: we were knacked,cold and drunk as skunks.

if we only walked 20 more metres we would have found that "fishing hole"!

sigh..the memories terry B)

when i was about 18 i was in the boat with my brother we were stopping at a floating pontoon and as we were commin in to it i went to jump off the bow and he put the boat in reverse and down i went i was wearing wadders and i went under the floating jetty almost drowned and he pick my hat up wanker buy when i got up on the pontoon i stripped all my cloths off and i was completey naked and there was a house boat full of girls and they were wolf whistleing and givin me a bit of hard time i was bloody freezing it was in the middle of winter so that was the end of fishing that night.. :laugh:

Well I was about 16 and grandad had jsut bought a new boat. he wanted to to take it out up to Atkinsons dam so he could do some repairs to the trailer. Started it a couple of days before then he thought I better hang the key up inside in case someone tries to steel the boat. Well smart thinking at the time. anyways got the boat in fixed the trailer then I pushed it out to about chest depp water to get the prop out of the weed then he went to start and it and said where is the key?

Hence we got a round a applause from onlooker.

Was sitting on Brisbie Island calm side and could hear this tinny keep roaring then stopping. THen watched as the guy full throttled it and the boat nose went straight up in hte air and flipped over. Don't think he knew how to change the angle of the motor!

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

mine would be a 10 min fight to pull in a bit over a meter log shark.

or getting pissed and deciding to go flick lures to have lures hanging out of my clothes everywhere .wake the mrs up 5 am in the morning to cut them out for me .

flicking lures in winter at darlington park ,upper Albert river .lure stuck in tree ,got it back ok .go to walk across the river and next min i'm swimming 1 arm other holding rod .then climb a 30 foot high muddy bank.it kept a few amused watching me.

You sound like me, take it as dedication and not embarrassing haha

For me,

A couple of weeks ago watching my rod leave a jetty attached to something big.Also having a Tailor find my finger delicious when I was about 9 at Fraser and getting blasted by the old man for wasting his fishing time having to bandage up my finger.Thirdly was standing on a hook and have it go through my toe earlier this year.Losing a rod overboard on a fishing charter before I was even interested in fishing and trying to tell the charter blokes what happened.

Funniest thing I saw was a fella driving his boat in the canals at the Gold Coast show ponying a bit and not paying attention to the approaching sandbar.Sure as eggs stuck for about 5 or ten minutes until he could get out.

James W wrote:

mine would be after chasing long tails with terry and lee off bribie a few summers ago, i was preparing to go ashore. carefully watching the swell (if ya can call it swell :blush: ) i began to paddle like hell to hit the beach.got flippped and got smashed in to the sand. broke a rod,lost pliers,braid snips and a heap of metal slugs and jih heads and my dignity! phone got ruined,ciggis got wet.right in front of a heap of hot chicks on the beach! picked my self up and i reckon i threw my kayak about 50 mtrs! amzing how far it went! :laugh:

ok lets clarify this the rod didnt get broken on the landing Jimmy broke the rod in half in temper back at the car and put it in the bin :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink::blink:

oh and Jimmy wat bout just throwing your phone into Ningi creek in anger???

Lee

Had a mate take is out to the weed banks off Townsville. He had just replaced a bit of his equipment. Got out and he found a good spot on his sounder, went up to the bow, threw in his new anchor and chain only to realise he hadn't spliced on his anchor rope. Not Happy.

pcsolutionman wrote:

James W wrote:

ok lets clarify this the rod didnt get broken on the landing Jimmy broke the rod in half in temper back at the car and put it in the bin :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink::blink:

oh and Jimmy wat bout just throwing your phone into Ningi creek in anger???

Lee

it was the rod or terry :P

My moment involves another AFO member Devster...

many years ago I was fishing from his boat over near Dohles Rocks.

we were drifting then decided to anchor up.

as a dutiful deckie I grabbed the anchor, checked it had rope attached, checked that rope was attached to the boat...threw it overboard....it sank (as anchors are prone to do) taking with it a small amount of rope that was not attached to the rope that was attached to the boat...Dev waded the murcky waters braving stonefish and stingrays but that anchor didn't come home.

ah the good old days.

Archived