Summer Series Prefish

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

Since Simon and I only really fished the Nerang and Runaway Bay Canals in our last prefish for the Gold Coast Summer Series we decided to hit it up again on Wednesday. Mum said yes to a day off school and we were on the water by 7:30am.

We first hit up some undisclosed canals up from Paradise Point for some surface Breamin'. It was Simon's first time using Towadis and I think he had a bit of fun with them. He was still getting used to waking the dog when on his third cast a Bream surfaces behind the lure and gulp, a nice little undersized Bream. They were really wanting those Towadis, between us we probably got around 50-60 attempts for around 15 hook ups and around 10 landed. Even though Simon's 3 were undersized, one of which wrapped him around a pylon 3 times over, they were his first 3 on surface lures and you know how that feels :) . I landed about 7 or 8 with 2 being legal at 24cm and 26.5cm fork, a new surface PB.

We moved down towards the Nerang in some other canals where I landed another decent legal and my first ever Jack. Only small at 19cm but I called it for a legal Bream and boy did he hit that Shrimp hard for his size. The Trevally were schooled along with some other pelagics and were playing ball with my Shrimp but none were landed :( .

Simon landed a good legal sized fish and we had 3 in the well when we met up with a barnical encrusted wall with some good flow and shady jetties. We were getting the odd undersized fish when I pitched an almost perfect cast in under a jetty and let it drift with the current. Got a few taps and set the hooks, he had me in a bit of trouble taking about 4m of line around a sharp barnically pylon. I loosened the drag and went light on him though it wasn't easy with the current pushing the line onto the pylon. After a few shakie moments and a bit of \"I'm so screwed\" another good legal was landed. Simon landed a legal Flathead before we moved on.

Our bag was looking pretty dam good for Gold Coast standards with 4 well and truely legal fish. We headed into what I think was the Benowa Canals where I caught my first Barracuda at 59cm. This thing went a lot harder then my 58cm PB Pike I caught down in Lake Macquarie that's for sure!

We headed down to some flats around Broadwater when we saw some bait fish jumping around. Simon pitched in a wind carried cast wide of the action while I was rigging up after a snag. \"I think I'm on\" he says. \"Are you on?\" I say. Drag was going but not fast so we thought it may have been the boat drifting further from a snag. We both came to the agreement that it was a snag at the beginning. But we were still unsure since it was putting on what looked like half hearted head kicks.

If you've ever caught a Porkypine Fish it looked like one of those. I called Porkypine Fish until we saw a massive!... Clump of weed at the end of his line . Talk about a big let down :unsure: . Though all we could see was Fireline leading into the weed, no leader as yet. Then Simon gets some good headkicks, \"Oh wait, there's still a fish there\". By now we were in deeper water and as he brought the leader through the weed we saw a nice yellowy/silver flash so I called it for a Trev and grabbed the net. Simon then says, \"I think it's a Bream\". Though we still were unsure. Besides Simon's, up comes the dirtiest lips I've seen in some time. The pressure was on as I hear, \"Get the net under that!\" First shot and the fish is in, along with a kilo of weed. High fives and a few of Jocumsen's trade mark YAYAH!'s all round as we weigh a fat 960g 35cm fork Breambo.

It's weird how a fish goes from snag to Porkypine Fish to weed to Trevally to Bream and in this case, net. With so many guesses we had to get one right :P .

A few minutes later after we settled down I upgrade the smallest Bream we had (24cm fork) with an alomst 26 cm fork Bream, still our smallest. With a nice Gold Coast bag of Bream we decided to head back. At the ramp we met a bait fisho who caught an oversized Flathead and had it already cleaned such a waste of a good fish.

We ended up with a good looking 2.8kg bag of Bream which we were most impressed about, just have to nail some like that in the Summer Series . Also Simon got his first 3 Bream on surface as well as a PB Bream. I landed my first ever Jack and Cuda and upgraded my PB surface Bream.

Pics are coming shortly.

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

Thanks guys. The comp is this Sunday and I can't wait. Birthday is also on the Sunday. I don't think I could think of a better birthday present then a top 5 placing and a shoot out for a Skeeter in the Grand Fianl down in Port MacQuarie :) .

Troy

What about G,Loomis's and Shimano Stella's being handed out on the street for free:woohoo:

Archived