Clean Up Australia Day

AFO

** This thread discusses the content article: Clean Up Australia Day **

Well done and a special thanks to all of those that contributed to a fantastic and successful Clean Up Australia Day.

Members from Brisbane Fishing Online descended on the water early to assist in this national annual clean up. Literally a skip full and debris was personally removed from the river by our members including everything from old crab pots, fishing lines, cans, bottles, thongs (always a left one), tennis balls galore and much more weird and wonderful odd and ends.

Fishermen sometimes get pigeon holed as the cause of littering the waterways so it was great to see so many of our members turn out in defiance of this fictitious generalisation. We look forward to continuing and hopefully expanding our efforts in the years to come.

The Team

Brisbane Fishing Online 2010CleanUpAustraliaDay.jpg

Angus wrote:

Ryan and a 37cm faaaaaaaaat bream.

. 2a.jpg

m8 that's a stonker bream :)

well we arrived real late after sleeping in .

a late and bad night's sleep had ,Mrs watching tv till 2 am and me coughing my guts up all night .

fell asleep sometime after 3 am .

Mrs got woken about 10 am , a call from ryan ...........what time u guys getting here ?

so a quick coffee and load up and we got down to the colmslie beach reserve ,got there just before 12 .

on the way i stopped and got 8 BLT mc Donald's burgers ,a cheap bribe for the kids .

and a promise of ice cream when we get home if a good job is done .

so other's had all ready clean there ,so thought we have a look anyways.

so we went down and walked the beach area in a row or 8 to each end .

we didn't do great but cleaned up a lot of small stuff,3/4 of a garbage bag .

we picked lots of small stuff ,pieces of foam ,plastic ,fishing line ,foam cups,sauce squeeze packs .

we did get a few bigger plastic bags and cans form under the board walk .

so that took us a hr ,so it was short and sweet ,but still got something done :)

good message for the kids too :)

then we went to meet up with the guys at colmslie .

good to catch up with old faces and meet some new ones .

had a feed and a chat ,good stuff .

the other guys did good fair bit of rubbish in the skip .:)

cheers to scope for bringing the bbq .

not what i had planned ,but still good i think .

got something done and had a afternoon out .

Kenshin wrote:

thats a pretty big bream did you get him on a bait or lure? the shark would have been fun to tangle with to i been told even the small one take nice sized runs

The sharks put up a pretty weird fight today, short and sweet, with most of the runs heading back in towards me, still fun to catch.

The bream was caught on a live poddy mullet that was intended for a Threadie, Jew or Bully :P . Not a bad by-catch though! He is my PB bream, busting the old record of 30.5cm.

The family and I had a fantastic day, was great to see the regular faces down there, and some new ones mixed in. The effort put in by all was impressive, and the spread put on after was awesome.

The fishing side of the house was pretty active also, with a fair few good sized hits over the morning between Gus and I. Every livie we used got hit in one way, shape or form, and a couple of heart-stopping moments were thrown into the mix. It is good to see the baitfish move back into our neck of the woods again :woohoo: !

Fantastic day, good company, and a great result!

Cheers,

Ryan and Family.

ryanyoung wrote:

This was a common sight for the baits, heads off, tails off, bellies off, lots and lots of sharks in the area today.

DSCF0974_AFO.jpg

Well done guys - a skip of rubbish is a top effort! How cool is that pic of the poddy and the perfect bite - almost as if it was done with a knife.

Cheers.

mongrel jack wrote:

ryanyoung wrote:
This was a common sight for the baits, heads off, tails off, bellies off, lots and lots of sharks in the area today.

DSCF0974_AFO.jpg

Well done guys - a skip of rubbish is a top effort! How cool is that pic of the poddy and the perfect bite - almost as if it was done with a knife.

Cheers.

Thats what we were saying. It looks so weird. Like not a shark bite but like a cartoon sketch bite sort of thing haha.

Angus

AZZA wrote:

Hi Guys I would like to say thanks too all those that picthed in and helped with the clean up and it was also good to finaly be able to put some faces to names.

Thanks again

Azza

A massive thanks to you AZZA for helping organise the logistics.

Cheers.

Angus

yeah was a good day spent with all of you I enjoyed it.Glad the rain stayed away although the water cops were out and about which was good to see and a few boaties being put on the bag too.They draged me over hot coals cause my rego sticker had flaked off oh well there just doin there job. AFO chick got a bit of male cop attention aswell :laugh: :laugh: classic :P

I was suprised how much rubish was collected good job to all the kids and adults.

mick

yep - fantastic to see our community get involved in this great cause.

Azz, Ellicat and I hit up some of the beaches along the river mouth stretch. Got absolutely molested by mozzies at one of the beaches but it was good that we were able to able to clear almost a bag full at that beach.

Thanks again Azza for the ride on your beaut boat. Hope it wasn't too hard to clean out after.

ryanyoung wrote:

I was highly impressed with Brian's blinged up Crocs as well. Although he denied them as coming from the "Crocs" family, it was clear to see! :P

Thanks for the lift home Brian, much appreciated!

Ryan.

No worries mate. Blinged up Crocs ?!?!?!...They are clearly authentic water sports shoes. In fact I believe Malcolm could do some beachside rapping in them. :P :laugh:

Had a good day. Scored some great pickups, not the least of which was a beautiful tiedied polo shirt someone had misplaced in the mud beneath the magroves in Boggy creek. Cheers to jeff f for thinking of my kids and dog and donated a bucket of balls including two leather baseballs. Thanks Jeff.

Being pulled over by the water police when wearing the "AFO Chick" wig and pink AFO cap was somewhat embarrassing. Cannot understand why they put me on the breathaliser :blush: :laugh: :laugh:

Good to catchup with all the AFOers and families. Cheers to Scope for bringing the Webber Q and parting with most of his gas cooking by meat B)

Do$tylz wrote:

Azz, Ellicat and I hit up some of the beaches along the river mouth stretch. Got absolutely molested by mozzies at one of the beaches but it was good that we were able to able to clear almost a bag full at that beach.

Thanks again Azza for the ride on your beaut boat. Hope it wasn't too hard to clean out after.

No worries was glad to have the company, You left a small black bag with some #$%@% in it let me know how you want to get it back I will be in town untill Wednesday then back on Friday night

AZZA wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:

No worries was glad to have the company, You left a small black bag with some #$%@% in it let me know how you want to get it back I will be in town untill Wednesday then back on Friday night

ah right oh....ummmm... Next time you're in the bris area can you let me know?? otherwise the next time im heading your way I'll let you know as well. You're on the northside aren't ya?? near Bribie?

oh yeah.. shelley you're awesome :D breads and sausage rolls were fantastic. Could have polished all the sausage rolls on my own if given the chance :D

Archived