YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!

Jordan

after yesterdays disapointing session, i decided to haul myseklf out of bed at 4.30 this mornin to try a promising squire spot that i noticed yesterday. after cleaning my nice new bluewater spinning reel i was set to go. i had tried in the bay, numerous river spots and of the shore, and to absoloutley no avail. rode my pushy like a dero down to the spot and baited up. while i was baiting my second rod, BANG! yes!! a squire i thought as i was bringing it in. it felt verrry familiar though, but i kept hopeful. after a very short and half assed fight a more pathetic than normal catfish was landed. 10 minutes later and i was on again, this felt diferent to, it kept going for the snags. cod maybe? if only. unfortunatley it was a little stingray. 3rd cast out, and this time it really got nailed. the drag was screaming and i was in aww as line was peeling of my 6lb setup. after a very decent fight, the faint gleam of red slowly came to the surface. YOU BEUTY!!!!!!!. just as i had done after i read mackmaulers and troys post, i cried like a little girl. fiiiiiiinally, after all the sacrifices and wasted effort of getting up at the crack of dawn i finally got my first squire. it measured 35 and was photographed before release. i was one verrrry happy fisho.

on a high, i quickly threw out both lines again. in about 10 minutes both the rods went off!! i felt which one was the biggest fish, and the 6lb set up had by far the bigger fish. it went off like a bullet, stronger than the squire before, and after a long drawn out fight another squire was landed!! this one was 40cm's and was unfortunatley gut hooked, when i put it back in the water it diddnt swim. as bad as i felt for keeping such an awesome fish, i knew my olds would at least be happy. in the next hour or so, caught 3 more catties, got busted off by what could only be one of our toothy friends and lost 2 more fish that felt distinctly like the squire before them. the sun finally cam up, and since i got sumburnt from the day before, i was pretty keen to go before it hit about 6 am. just as i was packing up my baitcaster skided off into the water. as i grabbed it and gave the line an almighty pull, the response from the other end was huge, off it went, taking more and more drag from my 30lb set up. after the best fight ive had in a long time, a 44 cm squire was landed. was unhooking a 25 cm bream at the time, so decided to keep both to make a good feed for the olds for a change. as bad as i felt for keeping such amazing fish, i just wanted to try it once, next time they will al go back. droped em off at work on the way home so a pro filleter can get into em. that way none will be wasted and i wont feel so guilty. the bluewater spinning reel handled everything so smoothly, i think i would have lost most of the fish to jerky drag or the snags below me otherwise. i was told it would have seized up by now but its still running as smooth as when i first got it. some good quality ebay gear for a change!

total:

3 squire

2 bream

4 catties

1 stingray

pics coming soon.

Post edited by: Jordan, at: 2007/04/27 14:04

haha na you dont tim, you wouldnt believe me if i told you, ill give you a hint. you have to pay your respect to some old guy who thinks its his property to get there. ill take u there one day if u want. are you not doing your work at school again? lol

thanks for the comments fellahs and the karma ash :), yea you can put ur boat in at the brekky creek boat ramp, the spot i was at is just near some houseboats, its hard to explain cause i was riding my pushy when i saw it, its along kingsford smith drive somewhere. just look for the lady brisbanes mooring, then when your facing the water go right from there towards breakky creek until your clear of the baots.

We have caught Bris River Squire, we are mad :P . I karmed you ;) . Looks like the new Abu rod did its job perfectly. Like James said they have got good colouration, probably due to the darker water. Like you said, us Hamiltonions now have a good Winter fish to go target :cheer: .

Troy

haha thx fellahs, mite be goin out with my dad tomorrow mornin which would be great since even though we get along really well, we dont have any of the same interests, but when he saw those fish he was really impressed so its gonna be good to finally spend some time with him. thx for the comments!

Archived