what sp setups does everyone have???

reef_raider

hey guys just wondering what sp setups everyone has

i currently have a loomis gl2 dropshot 4-8lb and a sedona 1500 with 4lb pink fireline, my back up rod is a steve starling squidgy spin 70 with a sienna 1000 lined with 2lb crystal fireline... soon i will be upgrading my sedona to a daiwa tierra 2500

dad has a shimano raider 2-4kg with a pflueger trion Gx-7 lined with 6lb crystal fireline, his back up rod is a squidgy spin 70 like mine and he doesnt curently have a backup reel but he will have my sedona once i get my tierra

we also have another spare which dads mate usually uses and its a berkley dropshot 1-3kg with a sedona 1500 line with 4lb crystal fireline

thanks, reef_raider

Post edited by: reef_raider, at: 2007/04/28 06:46

Not that I have a \"special setup\" for different lures, but these days when fishing light plastics, I tend to reach for the following setup - a 99c Ebay no name 1000 series spinning reel ( graphite, 11 ball bearings, aluminium spool etc etc) with 6lb Berkley Vanish on it and an $8 Ebay 6 foot 2-4lb graphite rod, fuji runners cork grips, weight 200g.

Bigger plastics (IE Barra fishing) I've got my 8kg 6 foot custom made Loomis, (now repaired), with a $20 Ebay 3000 series spinning reel (also 11 ball bearings, graphite, aluminium spool etc) with 20lb spiderwire braid on it.

But I have other rods and reels I use from time to time depending on my mood.

I am playing with baitcasters at the moment, not having much luck learning to cast them accurately as yet - But I have really decided I like using overhead rods with spinning reels, because of the way I hold the rod when casting (normal reel seats with the winding part on the bottom chaff my hand after a day of casting - yeah I am getting soft! - but I have a crook hand from years of playing in cement and dirt at work) Might have to ask John Ford about the logistics of turning around the reel seats on my rods for me!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/28 07:03

my bigger sp setups for barra are a pfueger trion 10-20kg rod with a calcutta 250 lined with 30lb bionic braid and the other is a pflueger trion 6-10kg with a daiwa bayard lined with 30lb berkley whiplash pro braid

the bayard was mine but dad liked it when we went to monduran so im using the calcutta

I have a couple at the moment. I have my Megabass Shore Luck Ultra Light 1-3kg which I use for surface fishing as it's 7'4\". The extra length gives me extremely far casting distance with 1g Towadis. I usually team that up with my Stella 1000FB and 2lb Vanish leader right through. As you all probably know, the Stella is up for sale, any takers? :P .

I also have a Loomis sr-781 which currently doesn't have a reel teamed up with it. I plan on putting one of the Certates on it once I have them and spooling it with some type of light PE for hardbodies. It's a bloody light rod though coming in at only 63g.

But the question was what plastics set up do I have, it's a Daiwa Sol 2000 spooled with 6lb Applaude PE Jigging Braid and that's on a Loomis Dropshot DSR-820 S.

Troy

I'm currently using a Shimano GTS 702SP 7' 2-5kg rod (soon to be upgrade) with a no name Ebay 2000 spinning reel (rear drag,aluminium body/spool 11BB best $15 I've ever spent had it for 2 years and its still as good as the day I brought it)and its decked out with 6 lbs berkley fireline...

blue_mako wrote:

I have a couple at the moment. I have my Megabass Shore Luck Ultra Light 1-3kg which I use for surface fishing as it's 7'4\". The extra length gives me extremely far casting distance with 1g Towadis. I usually team that up with my Stella 1000FB and 2lb Vanish leader right through. As you all probably know, the Stella is up for sale, any takers? :P .

I also have a Loomis sr-781 which currently doesn't have a reel teamed up with it. I plan on putting one of the Certates on it once I have them and spooling it with some type of light PE for hardbodies. It's a bloody light rod though coming in at only 63g.

But the question was what plastics set up do I have, it's a Daiwa Sol 2000 spooled with 6lb Applaude PE Jigging Braid and that's on a Loomis Dropshot DSR-820 S.

Troy

Mate! Welcome to the CLUB :D :D :D. hehe. when i first picked up the shoreluck last year, all the hairs all over me hands stood on end lol... It's magic! :D :D :D you should try it with small jigheads- it was designed for rock-shore fishing in mind, so yea, go head and try it. It's smashing! have you gotten a fish on it yet? hehe. the bend on the rod just leaves you breathless!!!

Dazzamcgee wrote:

I'm currently using a Shimano GTS 702SP 7' 2-5kg rod (soon to be upgrade) with a no name Ebay 2000 spinning reel (rear drag,aluminium body/spool 11BB best $15 I've ever spent had it for 2 years and its still as good as the day I brought it)and its decked out with 6 lbs berkley fireline...

How do you find that rod for plastics. I've got the exact same rod, but I use it for light bait fishing. Ie. Whiting, bream. I would have thought that the tip would be too light for sp fishing.

Any way. Right now I have a 2-4kg Shimano SSS rod and 6lb fireline crystal. I'm usin a spare spool from a Daiwa Crossfire 2500 with mono on it but I will be buying a Daiwa Regal Xi 2500 soon, to put to Fireline on. This is matched with 6lb Yamatoyo flurocarben leader

I use A Penn Power stick 3-5kg matched with a Penn Captiva 2000 reel. Fantastic little combo and well priced and the reel has 11 ball bearings spooled with 6lb fireline. I use this one for flicking the light plastics and hard bodies.

My other combo is a Diawa Kastor 2500 on a Ugly Stick 1-4kg rod spooled with 8lb fireline. This one is used for the bigger lures and jig heads and also get used for bait fishing.

And my new pride and joy is a Penn Pinpoint Tournament 12kg rod with a Penn Jack Erskin 1000 bait castor running 50lb braid. This thing can cast into next week and will be the weapon of choice for Awoonga this year.

Then I have two other combos for the bay, 1 Penn overhead combo running 20lb braid and 1 ebay rod with a Daiwa spin with 30lb mono. Then there's two huge surf rods with Alveys for the surf oh and the first ever combo I bought a $30 Kmart combo.

The new member of the family.

[img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/29.jpg

post-458-14459841335_thumb.jpg

Well I just replaced the one wifie lost overboard at Glenlyon last week, or should I say a Cod stole it:ohmy: Anyway whatever.

I choose a Pflueger Metalist 6'4\" light med matched with a Shamino Technium 2500FA spooled with 14lb fireline, cost $344. Pretty far price I think it came with a fancy looking rubber bag and spare spool (wetsuit material). Reel has the new Shamino drag system and both have 5 year warrenty.

How do you find that rod for plastics. I've got the exact same rod, but I use it for light bait fishing. Ie. Whiting, bream. I would have thought that the tip would be too light for sp fishing.

Cowfish the rod works well for SP's just a we tad to long in the butt....

Me Dazz?

If so I don't know yet, I only just got it but I chose the Light Med 6'4\" which has a not so light tip compared to my Shamino Rod 7'2\" or the other Pfleuger 7'0\".

It looks and feels exactly like the one lost and that was perfect. ;) Top quality guides along with nice graphite blank. Can't wait to stick a snapper on the other end!:whistle:

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Sorry Brain just replying to Cowfish.....i still haven't worked out how to us the quote button yet....:unsure:

Cool Daz;) - gives me another chance to say something about my new rig. I stuffed it up - the 14lb fireline is way too heavy and I should have known better. I gonna bring it down to 8-10lb and don't think it will b fireline. I might go back to mono for this rig.

Archived