Borumba dam

Aaron H

Hey guys,

just got back from my 5 days at Borumba all refreshed and revitalise to go back to work.....not:(

We stayed at the Borumba deer park camping (although civilised camping to keep the missus happy) and it turned out to be quite a good trip.

After arriving mid afternoon on Tuesday (I was packed by 7am just had to wait for a certain person to finish the \"couple of things she had to do\":angry: ) and setting up the Taj Mahal tent, I decided it was to late for a fish that day and relaxed in the camp ground with a cold beer and watching the quite entertaing sites of the emus and deer fighting in the paddock behind us.

Got up early on Wednesday and launched the boat ready for action, only thing was as I went to hook up the electric (only motor I have at the moment) I found I left the wingnuts at home in Runcorn after charging the battery the previous night. After a few choice worde and contemplating a quick trip to Gympie a champion fellow fisherman saw my plight and helped me hook up the electric with a couple of hose clamps.

Started the morning fishing trolling as we explored and worked the points after a couple of small bass caught on old faithful (Kokoda Gvibe) we went and anchored off a couple of points with no luck at first and then for some strange reason after the skiiers with their radios blaring we stumbled onto a school of bass and quickly caught a dozen on shrimp and a coupl of nice eel tailed catties.

After having enough of rocking and rolling with skiiers (at least six on the water probably due to Anzac day holiday). We bagan the interesting trip back in the little tin can only electric powered and my missus driving. Lets just say surf was up and an interesting altercation at the ramp when I realised one of the skiboats that was worrying my missus pulled in after I fininshed packing up the boat :whistle:

Still not a bad haul for first day exploring the lake

After getting back to camp was talking to a few of the others back at camp and found out not much was getting caught (so tha mad me feel more pleased with my effort) when I ran into an old fella Pete who has just started freshwater fishing and had only managed one yellowbelly in three days on the lake.

After telling him about our day he asked if I wanted to join him on his boat (25hp outboard I jumped at the chance) and teach him a few things about bass.

That morning we managed eleven bass a couple of eel tailed catties and a 30cm yella of the point I found on shrimp and I finally cracked my first bass on a spinnerbait. We then went and explored the timber in my quest for a toga but could not find any. Got back about midday to a bbq lunch my missus created (I think she was happy not to have to get up at 5am again)

Pete was so happy he invited me out again the next day and we scored at least thirty bass a yellowbelly and a couple more eeltailed catfsh.

Friday night a couple of friend came up and with them they brought a spare 4hp outboard for the tin can.

Saturday was an interesting session we got on the water a little later as we found out a comp was on and the ramp was like queen st.

Went out to the point again and managed another dozen or so bass a yellowbelly and after running out of shrimp and changing to worms pulled in a few silver perch. Not a bad way to spend a holiday, plenty of bass and it was good to get a little variety as well with the odd yella and perch. Alas no toga and also tried the creek with no luck did see two absolute monsters cruising the dam wall, the creek water was really dirty due to them pumping a lot of water out the dam at the moment. I hope they don't pump to much out as it looks like it might end up the same as the rest of our impoundments....dry.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF0245.JPG

First victim of the trip on a Gvibe

post-266-144598413382_thumb.jpg

Hi Aaron - welcoe back - happy to hear that you had agood trip and meet a new fishing buddy. Sounds like you got some good fish too. :)

That's a weird bass - is it a bass - it looks like it has a mutated barra/YB shape!:S

So cool to see the landscape photo - I know exactly where you were.:whistle:

Nice one mate!!

In regards to that Bass. The theory on deformed bass is it occurs due to crowded condisitons of fingerlings.

These bass still live for ages with big deformed species no uncommon.

Well done, i agree variety is always nice.

Angus

Angus mate,the fish with the \"bad back\"is really a birth deformity..Thats what happens when the gene pool is a little to \"shallow\":P or you could say interbreeding..This type of thing is common in enclosed waters or badly managed stocking groups when there is only 1 or very limited genes to choose from when breeding fish.

Aaron well done a nice mixed bag;)

Troy,

Thats exactly what I thought, couldn't be could it, maybe fisheries got the fingerlings mixed up it used to happen while I was there in Vic:whistle:

Feral, I drive a 94 Camry and had no problem, its a good ramp concrete all the way to the drop off

If it was caught down south I would say it was an EP. EP's look identical to Bass, they just have a bit more of a scooped forehead, like that little bugger. So I don't know how you could say it looks nothing like an EP Dazz :dry: .

There's a stumpy tailed Barra at the Barra Park at Bli Bli that gets caught every so often. There has also been a Moses Perch caught at the park with a stumpy tail. Stumpy tailed fish pretty much don't have a tail wrist, they are very messed up looking fish.

Troy

EP's have slightly larger eyes then bass and a concave snout....its not an EP its a f%#ked up Bass......Take a look at the hump on its back(spine deformities) thats what makes it look like an EP.....................

The most common deformities in fish are ones that affect the spine shape/alignment..........

in qld bush and beach this edition there is a picture of little thumper it has a tail wrist of a 50cm plus bass but the rest of the body looks like it belongs a 30 cm model

a leading authority on freshwater stocking was queried about it and said that it has come down to breeding with the fingerlings its just a retarded bass

i doubt it would be a estuary perch not because they dont come this far up but that is one hell of a mission to come up hear from the hawkesbury

simply put the fish is a spastic bass

James,

Water was flowing pretty hard out the dam and very cold so the locals reckoned the redclaw no good.

Checked out the gorge (actually paddled a fair bit of the river on the yak) but no fish water was really dirty but I can't wait to get there when it clears up has to be cod in there. Also saw a lungfish for the first time in the wild on the creek and I think I saw toga (had to be unless there are mullet jumping) in there as well.

Probably head back up around September October mate

Archived