Coronation Drive this morning

kiara_poltegerist

Not been well lately, so been out of action for a while, and the high-pressure brought by all these horrible rainclouds today made for a sleepless night, so decided to head down to Coronation Drive to toss some lures about.

Not too good a time to fish tho, the run-out was at full-force, making most sections totally unfishable except for one or two small stretches.

Managed to land one 25cm cod, lost 1 Duel Drum :S, lost 1 big flathead, but yea, overall, a good session.

I noticed that there were some big mullet looking fish around there, easily 2-3ft. If I wasnt fishing in the Brisbane River, I'd shout Bonefish!. Any chance that these were giant whiting lol? One of them had a go at my lure, but did a U-turn right at the last second. What fish would those be?

roobs wrote:

giant herring. or milkfish. could be either. not that unusual in the brissie or bay. suprised you didn't call either, angus.

:woohoo: are you serious you can get herring that big? That is crazy....would love to catch one that big in my cast net.

Do$tylz wrote:

roobs wrote:
giant herring. or milkfish. could be either. not that unusual in the brissie or bay. suprised you didn't call either, angus.

:woohoo: are you serious you can get herring that big? That is crazy....would love to catch one that big in my cast net.

Herring that you catch in the net are a different species to giant herring. Giant herring are long and slim and are known for their fighting abillities.

Nice one kiara!

Your right jeff thats what I thought.

Ox-eye herring(tarpon) look more like the herring you normally catch in cast nets in big schools. They get bigger and have bigger eyes (few other differences aswell).

Giant herring are really long and skinny like whiting and bone fish. I havn't seen one from the river yet but they get caught around the coasts occasionally.

Er, do you guys have milkfish here? They certainly did look like milkfish. They were quite tough fish as well, they were moving and feeding upcurrrent, and when I spooked a few, especially the one that last minute 2nd thoughts about my lure!

Hehe, Do, definitely not an eel, the water was very clear where I saw em, :P. hehe, maybe salmon eh, because the fish i saw were very silverish. Oh btw, thx very much for the castnet man :) |thumbs| :). got a whole load of prawns with it lol, many many bream (all undersized and released), many many bony bream, and a bonus 50+cm salmon lol.. That one was quite a shock tho. :D

was fishing upriver from Oxley's restaurant.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/05/12 17:27

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

Er, do you guys have milkfish here? They certainly did look like milkfish. They were quite tough fish as well, they were moving and feeding upcurrrent, and when I spooked a few, especially the one that last minute 2nd thoughts about my lure!

Hehe, Do, definitely not an eel, the water was very clear where I saw em, :P. hehe, maybe salmon eh, because the fish i saw were very silverish. Oh btw, thx very much for the castnet man :) |thumbs| :). got a whole load of prawns with it lol, many many bream (all undersized and released), many many bony bream, and a bonus 50+cm salmon lol.. That one was quite a shock tho. :D

was fishing upriver from Oxley's restaurant.<br /><br />Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/05/12 17:27

hey man,

no worries. Im glad its doing well for you. How big were the prawns man? did you get a pic of the salmon?

haha, sadly, no :(. didnt bring a camera with me that night- me phonecam is no good in the dark, couldnt see anything with it. should have taken a pix before i cut him up tho :S. hehe, but no worries mate, now that i know that there's salmon in the river where I am, I'm definitely going to go for em. :D

Angus my man, so yea, maybe you could be right- it could've been a big salmon that took me shark rig eh.

the prawns weren't that big- largest I've got soo far is probably er.. 10cm stretched out? but most of em are abit smaller. Difficult to castnet tho- only can do castnetting during slack tide as when it's running the tide's sooo fast it just sweeps the net downstream closed before it can even hit the bottom..

Archived