Keith

Would be interested to hear the thoughts of some fishos on the snapper ban.It doesn't affect me personaly but I'm sure there are a few out there that it does.I haven't done any fishing down here in a boat [ except Bribie Passage ],so I have no idea about the snapper population.It seems to me that they have upset a few punters.I think Pearl Perch were on the list as well.They are the main "catch" for the charter guys aren't they?.I guess it won't affect the recreational guys too much,mainly the ones earning a dollar from these fish.

I was told that they have done research and 60% of snapper taken from 15 m plus, when released don't make it, if it's true their is going to be a lot of dead snapper waisted over the next 6 weeks, hope someone has told the snapper not to take a bate during the closure.

Cheers Martin

let's hope we don't end up like the fishermen in uk who have to dump perfectly good cod because their quotas wouldn't permit while targeting other species.

then again what's the harm in bending the rules a little ... "no vehicles on dunes, why bother, lets drive over it, who cares if it damages them dunes" ... hmm that's not gonna get your attention ... "6 knots, no wash", too bad, you should have got a jetski ... not quite there ... "mmm .. a little undersized, maybe no one will notice if I put it in my white bucket" ...

bet the last one got your attention ... :blush: .. all should evoke the same response imo ...

anyway, i suppose its like the self imposed ban on targeting threadies during breeding season even if its catch and release ... all for a good purpose :cheer:

Here's some of the other threads on this issue

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/96-environment/302929-snapper-management-petition

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/96-environment/300929-fishing-ban-in-qld

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/96-environment/301022-rocky-reef-fin-fish-fishery-review

Also, This is an excerpt from another place - (Thanks to TerryH for bringing this to our notice :) )

/>http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4654

I attended one of the government information sessions on Monday night at Mooloolaba about the Rocky Reef Fin Fish proposals and I will say that there was no one in the meeting that trusted anything the government was saying and they were shouted down over the ridiculous proposals. As a group of recreational, professional, charter operators we were informed by the key spokes women during the meeting that 'fishermen are now using soft plastics because the snapper stocks are in such low numbers'. They also admitted that the science is more than questionalble and would not stand up to associated reports by other scientific departments. However all this idiocy and we are still having closures in a few days time without consultation and that will not be changed. So once again the government decides how to destroy the fishermen of Australia at the expense of us so that the Greens will continue to support Labour. Get on line and fill out these forms quickly before we all get coned for the next ten years. Lastly the government has NO middle or long term solution to fixing these problems such as building habitats for jevenille snapper to live in, no scheme to reduce run off and pollution into the water ways and NO aqua culture ideas to breed fingerlings to assist stock. What are they thinking? They are however telling us that if this does not work when they estimate we have reached our total allowable catch rates of 260t in one option they will further cut take limits and close the fishery for the rest of the year. How ridiculous when you consider that their science does not hold up now. How can we trust them?

That bit in bold is simply astounding. What on Earth are we dealing with, who are these people and what planet did they come from ?

Here's some of the other threads on this issue

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/96-environment/302929-snapper-management-petition

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/96-environment/300929-fishing-ban-in-qld

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/96-environment/301022-rocky-reef-fin-fish-fishery-review

Also, This is an excerpt from another place - (Thanks to TerryH for bringing this to our notice :) )

/>http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4654

'fishermen are now using soft plastics because the snapper stocks are in such low numbers'.

That bit in bold is simply astounding. What on Earth are we dealing with, who are these people and what planet did they come from ?

HAHA that is brilliant!!!! No wonder i havn't been getting as many decent sized fish lately, im using bait!

Tugger must be using soft plastics for his monster macks and cobias.

I went to the meeting at Wynnum last night and it was obvious that people dont beleive the fisheries dept.as a Charter operator we are looking at Quotas and fees of $6000.00 a year before we start the engines on the boat. people need to get onto there local members of parliament and start lobbying against these proposals.Its a stunt to make Anna Bligh look like shes a greenie, so make sure you vote the Labour party out and dont vote Green or this will just continue.

The boys who won the prize in the last Comp are going fishing with Buckat List on Saturday , I hope we clean up on Pearlies and Snapper and will post a report on Monday.

Warwick

Buckat List Fishing Charters

I don't need to see scientific proof that snapper stocks are way down, my own records are showing that. Have a chat to some of the older guys around the place that fished during the 70's 80's and even 90's and compare those catches with today. Even with GPS, braids, chem tipped hooks and all the smick rods and reels the sizes and numbers aren't even close.

Fisheries control the fishery, they don't have control over storm water runnoff, pollution, habitat destruction etc. They can only control real or percieved threats to a fish stock with the methods avaiable to them, size and bag limits or closures.

This could well be a political decision but in my opinion it needed to be done regardless.

I am just wondering where the move to introduce the closure came from, paticually where they do not seem to have any up to date science to back their argument.

I realise that there is a lot more fishing pressure and that improvements to technology have helped both the pro and amateur angler.

The thing that gets up my nose is reacting to gut feelings without data.

I think that they should also ban the use of opera house pots in saltwater because not only do they kill platypusses,wombats,turtles and dugongs they have the potential to pull out clumps of seagrass.:sick:

Cheers

Ray

lol i never saw that quote before, regarding fishermen using soft plastics cause the stocks are low.

who's fed her that rofl what a doosy

the datas all there, trouble is theres such a high level of uncertainty in it that even the independent review they chose to 'support' the stock assessment basically said go back to the drawing board (which they didn't, haven't and probably won't)

:lol: :lol:

That's the whole cause of the disgust and a lot of the cause for the opposition.

That and the stupidity that they are having this trial period in Feb/Mar before trying to introduce the ban a few months later. Obviously the trial results will be solid data by then :whistle:

A few people need a punch in the head (no harm could be done)

I went to the meeting at Wynnum last night and it was obvious that people dont beleive the fisheries dept.as a Charter operator we are looking at Quotas and fees of $6000.00 a year before we start the engines on the boat. people need to get onto there local members of parliament and start lobbying against these proposals.Its a stunt to make Anna Bligh look like shes a greenie, so make sure you vote the Labour party out and dont vote Green or this will just continue.

The boys who won the prize in the last Comp are going fishing with Buckat List on Saturday , I hope we clean up on Pearlies and Snapper and will post a report on Monday.

Warwick

How much compensation are you receiving in return, Warwick ? :dry:

Was hoping to get onboard with you again before the closure but not to be.

Good luck Saturday :)

:lol: :lol:

That's the whole cause of the disgust and a lot of the cause for the opposition.

That and the stupidity that they are having this trial period in Feb/Mar before trying to introduce the ban a few months later. Obviously the trial results will be solid data by then :whistle:

A few people need a punch in the head (no harm could be done)

A few people need a punch in the head

yep

Thanks Brian and Terry for putting some insite together.

I had to work for the one (feedback session) on Wednesday night down at Redcliffe, so yeah was curious if there would be a lotta noise and revolt.

It would have been so funny to capture on video the speech from the presenter concerned.

Its all a little depressing, but same as in boxing, if we can keep jabbing away, we might knock over the giant (State Govt.) to invest more in the other aspects - fingerlings / more artifical reefs / more science and research etc.

look out guys - I was at the Wynnum meeting last night and it was obvious this 6 week ban is a knee jerk reaction, poorly thought through and executed but it will be enforced. I haven't picked up much of an awareness campaign to advise everyone but I spoke to a fisheries officer after the meeting and he kindly advised he'd be fining people $400 for any breach. I suggested maybe there should be some discretion applied considering a lot of people won't know anything about it and he seemed to concede that there would be but I wouldn't take the risk.

cheers

Rob

Warwick

That is steep $6000 is a lot and all that is going to do is make all charters more expensive for the general punter. So not only do we need to pay a permit to fish individually we will also have to pay again when taking a charter. What drugs are these guys on, i want some, then maybe i will be happy with what is happening. not

I don't need to see scientific proof that snapper stocks are way down, my own records are showing that. Have a chat to some of the older guys around the place that fished during the 70's 80's and even 90's and compare those catches with today. Even with GPS, braids, chem tipped hooks and all the smick rods and reels the sizes and numbers aren't even close.

Fisheries control the fishery, they don't have control over storm water runnoff, pollution, habitat destruction etc. They can only control real or percieved threats to a fish stock with the methods avaiable to them, size and bag limits or closures.

This could well be a political decision but in my opinion it needed to be done regardless.

In the 70's 80's (and maybe the 90's even) there were no reports of snapper in the Bris River either. There certainly are a lot now.......maybe it IS more to do with the environment than anglers taking a poofteenth of the population....perhaps.

There are so many mature but undersize snapper around in close these days they are almost as pesky as bream. Maybe this is the result of the reduction to bag limits from a few years ago and the existing strategy is already working but the results aren't in.

In the 70's 80's (and maybe the 90's even) there were no reports of snapper in the Bris River either. There certainly are a lot now.......maybe it IS more to do with the environment than anglers taking a poofteenth of the population....perhaps.

There are so many mature but undersize snapper around in close these days they are almost as pesky as bream. Maybe this is the result of the reduction to bag limits from a few years ago and the existing strategy is already working but the results aren't in.

There wasn't a big population like there is now with the funnelling caused by the port extension and the cleaner waters since the cessation of dredging but they were there. The wrecks behind Bishop Island threw up some very good fish at times and a few areas slightly upstream held the odd ok fish as well. Unfortunately the river is the only place I know of in SEQ that has better catches now than pre 2000. Lots of little ones was the same argument used when 5 x 35cm was introduced, things still got worse.

Well as you would expect,the topic certainly fired a few up.One other question I would like to put out there is,if we don't want to belive the people who do these studies into fish stocks,then who do we belive?.The same "distrust" was put in them when they applied the same closers to the Coral Trout.It seems to me that the average punter will get peed off when "the man" makes decisions like this.Lets just say hypothetically that no one gave a crap about fish numbers and it was a free for all.In some parts of the world that's what happend and areas are fished out.99% of the population would have no idea about the "true" impact of fishing in our waters, so the question is,"do we trust the other 1% to manage the industry", so we don't end up like those other parts of the world.

There are some good articles in the Feb Bush and Beach which may enlighten you and answer the question you pose.

Apart from that there is innumerable articles online. FRDC, DPI, DERM, ...are some of the government funded sites where you can find plenty of info to poke more holes in this dodgy bit of "management" than you could imagine. Interesting also that it is their own information/studies. I have discovered that some articles are removed where they are too contradictory or, for whatever reason, considered out of date.

Having a look back through the environment forum there are plenty of topics with links to further info, research, studies etc.

Personally I've spent countless hours reading on this topic since I first heard they were going to limit the take number of yabbies (pink nippers) in Harvey Bay to 5 :blink: about 6 years ago. Astounded by this fact and then the Marine Park issue a few years back motivated me to get informed to form an opinion that wasn't about gut feelings or wishy washy softheaded discharge that seems to fill the opinions of many city-centric academics. I may be wrong but it wont be from ignorance, and I must admit I never thought that fishermen were turning to soft plastics because the snapper numbers are so low, so there is a chance :unsure:

although snapper fishing aint what it once was, there has definately been a large decline in the quality of this species around here locally, sure the odd beauty gets caught, but not like they once were. even closin the season off for 6 months wont make buggar all difference i believe, but i do know there is a lot of juvenile squire around, everybody else knows this also. but what people dont realise is, it will take years for these fish to reach maturity. hell some fish caught in the bay are older than the people on this site, so look at that and think about what is and what we are doing to the bay and it's surroundings. if they want to get serious about sustainability, they need to get their sh!t together. wake the hell up and listen to the people who know more about these species, and not worry about these overpriced wanna be scientists who proclaim to know it all cos it's on bloody paper. they probably never fished for snapper in their lives, and quite frankly sick of all the govt bullsh!t, i don wanna go fishin with my solicitor as 1 guy said cos i dont like him ! i just wanna go fish and i bloody well will. fishing is fishing. not for gathering votes for the bloody greenies, so to bloody hell with them, for me personally, i'll do what i bloody well like, i get ripped off for everything boating like most of you guys here, but i wont be bloody dictated to by some fool behind a desk. sure some will disagree and thats your right. but i refuse to get ripped off by these bastards and continue to do so. mail also has it they are tryin to close the whole of moreton bay off to fishing of all sorts, what you lot gunna do then ? and i mean the whole of moreton bay, and now before you attack me, go look as see just how big moreton bay actually is for those of you that dont know. you'll be crying if that happens and still want top dollar for your boat when you try to sell it or whatever cos from apart from it sittin in the back yard it will be rendered useless.

waitin with anticipation now !

rob.

25cm approx 2 years (sexual maturity at 25cm)

35cm (legal size) 4 years (2 spawning chances)

50cm approx 8 years

Link with info from some scientist dude -
/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=64290

Attachment 1

Summarises the data techniques used and opinion thereon.

In short it says they are uncertain so made it up.

The Australian Bureau of Agricultural Resource Economics –Bureau of Rural Sciences (ABARE–BRS) was engaged by Fisheries Queensland in September 2010 to undertake a evaluation of data used to determine the status of Queensland snapper according to terms of reference. This is the draft report of that review.

Evaluation_of_Qld-Snapper-Assessment-Final-Report-to-Client.pdf

Attachment 2

Scientific opinion from Sunfish

SaveOurSnapper.pdf

Attachment thing is broken so I'll try to remember to put them up when I am able.

Would be interested to hear the thoughts of some fishos on the snapper ban.It doesn't affect me personaly but I'm sure there are a few out there that it does.I haven't done any fishing down here in a boat [ except Bribie Passage ],so I have no idea about the snapper population.It seems to me that they have upset a few punters.I think Pearl Perch were on the list as well.They are the main "catch" for the charter guys aren't they?.I guess it won't affect the recreational guys too much,mainly the ones earning a dollar from these fish.

Its put me out of work for 6 weeks. Funny thing about those scientists apparently at meeting the other night there was one there and one of the blokes ask if he has caught a fish before and he said no and hes only been on a boat once so hes coming out on our boat tomorrow

Just a reminder that the trial ban begins today.

No Snapper

No Pearl Perch

No Teraglin Jew

for 6 weeks.

Dead or alive send them back, do a little happy dance (perhaps with a somersault), thank a greeny, and pay homage to the maladministration of our state by slipping $90 away for next time.

Just a reminder that the trial ban begins today.

No Snapper

No Pearl Perch

No Teraglin Jew

for 6 weeks.

Dead or alive send them back, do a little happy dance (perhaps with a somersault), thank a greeny, and pay homage to the maladministration of our state by slipping $90 away for next time.

to hell with that, takin a lil gas cooker and fryin pan, mmmmmmmm they will taste soooo nice this fresh. lol, he can look at me eatin him out there.

Warwick

How much compensation are you receiving in return, Warwick ?

As we were told repeatedly at the Redcliffe meeting, No compensation to anyone who's business is affected as the closures are not 'stock re-allocation'

Luc

• 4 weeks later...

After 2 hours of debate yesterday, following an argument introduced by the LNP to State Parliament, the Green/ALP coalition have dropped the $90 Snapper Tax idea thanks to the attendees and ferocious bagging (pardon the pun) at the meetings Gad has been keeping us informed on.

No change to the planned bans though.

Archived