This was really weird!

Dan23

Something really strange happened last night. I was throwing a line in under the Indooroopilly Bridge using a few bait packet prawns which were pretty small. Anyway, my rod started twitching with a consistent rhythm so I yanked on it to try and hook whatever was having a go at it. Didn't feel like I hooked anything but had a bit of extra weight. So I brought my bait in and thought to myself, wow i can't remember my prawn being so massive. This thing was giant like the size you'd buy at a seafood store. Then when it started flicking its tail I realised that I had thrown out a frozen prawn then somehow managed to foul hook a real one. I need to get a cast net if that is the size of the prawns in the river.

Post edited by: Dan23, at: 2007/05/22 18:52

It was the biggest prawn I've ever seen that wasn't in a seafood shop. I forgot to mention I rehooked it closer to its head and threw it back out. Something took it but I didn't manage to hook it :angry: Probably just a catfish anyway. That was all I caught last night. I'm gonna get a KT Salmon soon though! [img size=300]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/prawn-bd39af371e904890a33072569426e0cd.jpg

post-1402-144598415648_thumb.jpg

Yeh i have been cast netting around the Fig Tree Pocket area and I usually get a few big prawns every time. Did you catch anything on it cause i was thinking about using one for bait but haven't yet. Did u catch anything else under the bridge?

Hey mate.

It could be a small jew but id call it for a putty nose perch. Still cool to see them in ever increasing numbers.

And although lots of people are scepitcal until they see them thats a pretty average size bannana prawn for the river. I have been cast netting with Troy and Jordan before where literally KG's of them have been caught. One of there parents was doing laps in the car to take buckets of them away. Also they are my favourite bait for the river.

Also if your chasing KT Salmon, i would change you hook type. I would personally reccomend something rounder like a circle hook, or at least a large suicide ot live bait hook. This will both hold your baut better and improve your hook up rate.

Angus

It's a River Perch, related to Jew but only get to around 30-35cm max. It has the wrong jaw construction to be a Jew and Jew normally have faint spots on their back as well as a purple tint. There has been quite a few reports of River Perch captures lately from the River which is good.

Troy

jimmybob wrote:

aww com'on ellicat, the nostrils in a orthodox yellow-finned silverside look nuttin like that of the fish in the pic.....or do theyyyyyy:unsure: :P

Yeah JB I think you might be right...they're said to be longer. I'm not going there though - my profile pic won't fit on the site:P

Angus wrote:

Also if your chasing KT Salmon, i would change you hook type. I would personally reccomend something rounder like a circle hook, or at least a large suicide ot live bait hook. This will both hold your baut better and improve your hook up rate.

Angus

Thanks for the tip I'll take it on board

G'day Dan,

There are plenty of prawns in that stretch of the river. I regularly fish at the fig tree pocket boat ramp just down from the indro bridge and always net a bunch of prawns. They're good for bait, just wish the good species outweighed the local eel population so they lasted a little longer.

Some ok toothies in that area too (well, when it's warmer).

river prawns eat ok too.. well at least they taste like prawn and i'm still alive and my a. hispidus loves them.

cheers,

al

nahh i wish work would let me take the snake home.. but there aren't enough local cats to keep a 14kilo olive python fed in kenmore.

but if you do come down, i'm the guy sitting on the esky with his rods hanging off the front of a.. (wait for the shock) white hilux 4x4. My names al, say g'day or give us a yell if you wanna go for a fish down there sometime, i'm always keen (but not always available.. bugger).

i'm with you on the 70 hour work week. got a full time day job and a full time night job :( try to squeeze in hours at the ramp when i can.. oh and if you didn't learn from the indro bridge, take plenty of mozzie repellant because when the sun goes down if there is no wind you'll get munched something fierce.

Archived