Really basic fishing question

Liquor Box

Bait presentation is very important, so i have a really stupid question.

What is the best way to place a prawn on a hook?

I usually take off the head and thread it onto the hook so there is just a little bit of the hook poking out the underside of the prawn. Is this the best way?

If anyone gets really bored and wants to post a picture of how they present bait it would be very much appreciated as it is quite hard to learn.

I am the only real fishing person in my family and friends so are self taught and dont yet know all the little things, i just like to have fun.

Thanks

ps tips on other baits with photos would be awesome

Yeah that will work fine.

Other methods include -

Peeling the prawn first.

tail hooking 2 or 3 prawns to present a bigger bait.

Long shank hooks are by far the best for using with prawns in my experience.

Best method of all is get a cast net and catch some live prawns - then tail hook one and hang on.

Mate there is no such thing as stupid question because only a bloody idiot thinks he knows everything.

Cheers

James

Liquor Box wrote:

I usually take off the head and thread it onto the hook so there is just a little bit of the hook poking out the underside of the prawn. Is this the best way?

If anyone gets really bored and wants to post a picture of how they present bait it would be very much appreciated as it is quite hard to learn.

I am the only real fishing person in my family and friends so are self taught and dont yet know all the little things, i just like to have fun.

Thanks

Hey buddy,

This a wonderful site! The pics are a lil under-exposed at times though. It's got a variation of prawn hooking and it definitely looks better than the usual way of doing it. Click here

Happy Fishing

Thanks, great link.

viperon1982 wrote:

Liquor Box wrote:

Thanks

Hey buddy,

This a wonderful site! The pics are a lil under-exposed at times though. It's got a variation of prawn hooking and it definitely looks better than the usual way of doing it. Click here

Happy Fishing

I use prawns heaps as they are my favourite non-artificial for bream.

I catch just as many on frozen prawns as live prawns, its just that, live prawns usually get the bigger fish. Live prawns also add to the amount of species that you will catch.

When jetty fishing with prawns I peel all the shell and the head off, I then thread it onto my small suicide hook(better hookups) by inserting the hook through the ass of the prawn and then bringing it up through the body until the whole hook is full of prawn. I then bring about 2mm of the point of the hook out of the flesh so it is exposed.

This technique has caught me literally thousands of fish so I don't see how it won't work for you.

Cheers

Tim

Archived