Offshore prefish with scare

tugger

Got over a flat bay this morning to a run out tide on the bar but it was still good to cross but once we got outside the wind was a good 15 to 20knots. We pushed on hugging stradie and got to the spot where we were still able to anchor up with the boat pointing into the wind and chop.

Fishing for about an hour when a whale surfaced right beside us and you could see it was upset when it turned around sharply and disapeared. Then all of a sudden we were being towed along at about 8knots and when i looked the anchor rope was along the top of the water.

I got my knife and headed forward quickly and just as i was going to cut the rope it flicked its tail covering me with water with this the boat slowed down and we were free. My heart rate didn't slow down for a good 10 minutes and we held on the anchor in a new spot.

We only fished for another half an hour till the anchor dragged and we headed inside to fish off amity for the rest of the morning running into Malcom there. From this experience i will always remember my knife just in case :silly:

There was no current today just alot of wind will make a call early tonight as you wouldn't want the same as today

Mate yeah I am cool with that and if anything would err on the side of caution as opposed to recklessness anyway. As you say if its like that just not worth it. Let me know and no worries either way.

Angus

I think I might have a little brown stain just reading your report mate. Good to hear you're ok. We've laughed in the past when they've gone under the boat. I might take it a tad more seriously next time I see a whale nearby. But in the end what can you do, other than being alert and as you say having a knife handy.

Fishing 10mm nylon now huh :pinch: you are going to need a bigger boat :woohoo:

Had a few close encounters with them myself but not that close. This sort of thing will become more and more common with them increasing in population 10%+/year. Good to see you came away unscathed and with a good story to tell B)

Good to hear you survived the close call.

It begs the question though - What is a whale doing in such shallow water so close to your rock ? :S

Beached as bro !

What sort of depth is it?

I've seen whales up close and.. far too personal in my kayak out off caloundra (being within 30m of a humpback in a kayak is far too close for my liking anyway!), in 18-20m...

Glad to see you're alright Tugger, would have been on hair raising event!

Good to hear you survived the close call.

It begs the question though - What is a whale doing in such shallow water so close to your rock ? :S

Beached as bro !

What sort of depth is it?

I've seen whales up close and.. far too personal in my kayak out off caloundra (being within 30m of a humpback in a kayak is far too close for my liking anyway!), in 18-20m...

Glad to see you're alright Tugger, would have been on hair raising event!

Around the 20M mark. Deep enough but coupled with the position of the rock etc it seems a strange location for one.

Well it happened again today you just wouldn't think it could happen 2 days in a row but my anchor line must have whale bait on it. They were every where today jumping around us to close at times then 1 has got to bump into the anchor rope again. I have got pretty good at hooking big fish over the years but this is extreme where's that pom on tv now 'robson green' i'll show him how we do it in aussie. Only had him on for a short while this time the word must be getting out, i'll let Angus do up a report

Well it happened again today you just wouldn't think it could happen 2 days in a row but my anchor line must have whale bait on it. They were every where today jumping around us to close at times then 1 has got to bump into the anchor rope again. I have got pretty good at hooking big fish over the years but this is extreme where's that pom on tv now 'robson green' i'll show him how we do it in aussie. Only had him on for a short while this time the word must be getting out, i'll let Angus do up a report

I had the divers down today and I think we found your problem mate.

post-2889-144598640149_thumb.jpg

Archived