Pin Flathead Mission - 5th August 2007

Angus

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plastic man and I got 19 bream biggest 36cm fork length,2 flattys 47.5,1 whiting,1 flounder,1 pike all caught on plastics mango ripple gulp was my plastic of choice and andrew was using pumkinseed turtleback gulp will post pictures when they can be uploaded,Good to meet a few guys and we know it was a flatty hunt but since we had never fished there before could'nt resist chasing bream and I will definitely be going back there when it warms up found some very good looking areas to chase jack.

Got to the Jacobs Well ramp at about 5.45am and meet up with Mojo (Jo). We had to fight our way through the crowd at the ramp before getting the boat in just as the sun was coming up. Took off and just had a relaxing run out to the Pin, took it nice and slow as there are always heaps of sand banks and I always seem to find them.

Made it out to the pig sticks and took a number with about 5 or 7 other boats fishing the same spot. All the other boats seemed to be doing o.k. and were getting plenty of bream. Mojo managed 2 or 3 little bream that were undersized. Got sick of this and headed off to a little spot I had herd about.

This place looked like Flathead country, with a mud wall either side of a little creek flowing out and a bit of a channel before another sand bank. After a few casts I had a prawn get nailed in about 1 foot of water and up came my first flatty for the day she went 55cm and put up a good fight on the 6lb gear, I had a smile from ear to ear. Mojo then proceeded to throw a prawn right on the same spot while I was putting mine in the esky and got hit as soon as it touched the water. He pulled up a nice 45cm flatty. Yeah fish each in the esky.

A little while later I hear Jo saying he’s on again but it was just a small one, I turned around and saw a monster lizard of about 80cm, that’s not a small one. Turns out the big one was chasing the little one that was hooked if I had of been quicker I reckon I could have got him with the gaff.

Had a few more bites but not much happening so it was time to try Mojo’s spot x, headed up the river to what looked like a big sand bank. Are you sure this is the spot. Proceeded to travel over a big sand bank in about 2 foot of water when all of a sudden up pops a hidden channel of 7 – 9 foot and only a couple of meters wide and about 30 meters long.

It only took about 5minutes and we were on to some small flattys. Mine was 30 cm followed 2 sec later by Mojo with a 39cm. About 20min went by before the action started again. I managed another 55cm specimen and about 10 min later Mojo upgraded to a 50cm flat chap.

Gave the spot another half hour before heading off to the meet and greet. Good to put faces to names and sounded like everyone had a great day on the water I know we did. I can highly recommend Mojo (Jo) as a deckie karma to you my friend.

Like Stu I will put up some pics when we can upload them again.

Brian D wrote:

By the time you read this you will have figured I didn't make it. I packed the boat, bought the bait and plastics and then the wife says \"you love fishing more then me\".:pinch: :( :S :blush:

Well that might be true but I am not taking the risk of castration.:sick: Have a nice day you guys.:P

wow....... i mean wow im speechless, she dropped the bomb on you big time Brian.

She doesnt like fishing? you should make her go and if she doesnt say its always about you....why cant we ever do anything i want to do together. Then see what she says

You're closer to the money than you realise Booty. I've just logged on tonight ( Monday night )for the first time in days to see an invite for a deckie's seat that Kriso left for me on Saturday. By then I'd given up hope and got on it. Needless to say I am spewing now and the wife is busy removing all sharp implements from the house.

At least I've learned not to give up so quickly next time and log on more frequently.

Thanks again Kriso.

Just as well i don't need to catch lots of fish to have a good day!

One legal Bream, a number of Moses Perch and a couple of small Whiting was all I could manage.

Great to meet some new faces and catch up with some familiar ones, overall it was a very positive event with a number of people fishing this area for the first time.

Congrats to Kriso and Lozzel on their first Soft Plastic flatties, glad that I could be there to share the moment.

Big thanks to Loz for the taking me out for the day, great company and a cup of coffee...what more can a deckie ask for;)

Till next time guys.

Photo of Kriso's flatty

[img size=336]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fishing_024.jpg

Well it was poor fishing but the day had a few highlights for us.

First highlight was meeting chippy at the ramp. We were driving behind him on the way in. He might be able to fish, but he seems to have a lot of trouble staying on the right side of the road:whistle:

Then after putting the boat in I was waiting for a bloke to start his zodiac so I could use his spot to rest the boat while I parked the car etc. He tried to start the motor whilst standing beside it. The motor was in gear and when he pulled the cord it didn't start fortunately. However his hand slipped from the cord and he fell full on into the water:woohoo: I had to look away:laugh: .:laugh:

Later I got my first hit on SP (didn't hook up though). Had a visit from the water police for a quick safety check - whicj meant counting life jackets. We had a quick chat about the fishing and then he was off - what a job!!

Later I livebaited a whiting. Soon after the reel screamed off. I grabbed up the rod and then let the eyes follow the line out. I ended up looking up - a hawk had grabbed it:woohoo: It let go with the first \"strike\". Wound it in and then threw the whiting out for the hawk that was resting in a tree. It flew back down but had second thoughts and flew away without picking it up. (Quick learner;) )

Then we motored over and I put some faces to names while the kids foolishly got wet.

We had a bit of prop trouble on the way back to the ramp. What I thought previously to be cavitation has ended up being a bush going on me. Made it back without any dramas though. Up for a new prop on Wednesday.

Fish tally - 2 Moses perch and 3 whiting.

Thanks to the organisers and look forward to seeing a few of you again at Noosa.

Bring on the charter!

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/08/07 23:24

Well it took me ages to find this.

Who would look in the fishig EVENTS to find a fishing REPORT :angry:

Well not much to say now, only Rocket is a great deckie and good company,will take him again forsure ,picked up a few tips from him also.The highlight was to get a nice little Flattie ,fist on the new rod & first on a placcy :woohoo:

Hopefully I will get more now I know that they work. I had A great day out with friends and many more to come.

See you all on the reef trip next month.

Laurie

well the morning started off not so good with being hungover launched with laurie, jeff f and faulked didnt get far from the ramp before faulked and myself found moving a little hard and realised we had landed in not even half a metre of water! :angry: after jumping out of my into the freezing water and pushing faulked and myself off the bank we were off again. chucked a 4\" nuclear chicken around all day and finaly got a flattie just as it got to the boat it rolled and got away by then very anoyed that my first plastic caught fish got away before i could snap him, later on after a few hundred more casts bam another flattie and it fought quite well in my lite out fit of 4lb crystal braid with 12lb fluro leader. managed to boat him and that was the last decent fish i played with on the day.

my first plastic caught fish :)

49cmflattieAFO.jpg

Post edited by: kriso, at: 2007/08/07 16:20

thanks for the push kriso you saved the testies from freezing for at least half an hour we found more sand bars than fish but with a blown trim ram getting off them was a real pain but live and learn id spotted a very small leak the day before shouldve fixed it then gorgous day we had any way with a couple of bream but no flatties not that ive ever caught them on purpose:( allways lucky bycatch one day ill figure it out Itried chippes gold plastic advice for most of the day but had no idea where the spot was he was talking about i dont have the right rist action on the bloody plastics though next time ill keep trying till i get one of the buggers

Archived