looking into buying a kayak

AlsHilux

I've been thinking more recently about buying a kayak. I'd really like to try more than just land based fishing but can't afford a boat and don't want to have to get a license, so a kayak seems to be the most viable option.

I was just wondering what's the real difference in a fishing kayak and a standard kayak/on top ski?

I've seen a few that look like they'd only be good for surf ski's but a lot also seem to have available space to store gear and it shouldn't be too hard to add some rod holders. But they aren't technically 'fishing kayaks'.

Something like this for example -> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/brand-new-pacer-kayaks_W0QQitemZ120136187568QQihZ002QQcategoryZ36122QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks fairly similar to some of the fishing kayaks i've seen for double or more that price.

I want to spend as little as possible, just to paddle in the river every now and then.

What do you guys reckon?

Mate as you prob know i sell viking kayaks.

But for the price, those ones in the ebay link dont look bad at all.

Considering they sell them at a shop obviously though, maybe just go there and buy one??? As opposed to ebaying it and seeing them first hand and there is something wrong.

Not saying there would be, but if you have to pick it up anyway.......

Good luck!

Angus

Yep those pacers are cheap and they are actually a store (at burleigh?) So yeah u basically just get ure kayak for that price and for a seat $79.95 and a paddle anywhere from $35 - $$$

Once you buy a kayak u can add a crate or whatever and buy a folding anchor (if u wish) and stick a few rod holders on.

It is a good way to get out on the water but if you are more than 6ft 3 and over 85-100kg then i would look elsewhere as those pacers have a rating of 120kg i think.

Either way its still a good way to get out there.

PS. Remember u may be able to buy an 10,11,12 foot cartopper tinnie and just put a 4hp on and no need for licence or rego.

yeh i got mixed up, under 6hp is no license, but above 4hp requires rego...

looking at the transport website now to figure out how much rego is..

I'm kinda between day jobs at the moment so gotta keep my expenses down, but a little yak or run about would be perfect.

Here is where the anomolies start.

Yep you dont need a licence till your motor cowling says its more than 6hp under the hood. (hint hint)

However, you do need to register the boat if the motor is more than 4hp. So they will slug you $65.80 and then you need to buy some numbers and letters for about $10

You think they would just bring the hp components in to line and make it uniform.

booty, your point about the legible horsepower figures on the engine is duely noted. Although I figured your mates would see through that as the oldest trick in the book... damnit, I'm 1 HP over taking the little tinny out tomorrow..

I suppose you need life jackets etc as well? I'm doing some more research on the maritime law. I mean, I don't want to drown.. well.. I don't even want to have to be in the water, but the brissy river ain't the ocean so I should be able to dog paddle my sorry a$$ to the shore without having to buy life jackets.

I've had a DPI inspector take one look at my unmarked Johnson 6HP and say \"I see it's a 6hp\" just by looking at the engine number. Dont risk it. (Yes it is registered). If you dont want to fork out the $65, stay at 4hp or under. (Mine cost $100 to register, goes on boat length)

i'm vexed... both are great options for different reasons. A lazy paddle around the river sounds quite nice, plus I can then class fishing as exercise and tick that one off too...

I've never tried out a yak, so I guess the best bet would be to try and borrow/rent one to take for a paddle to see if it's what I imagine.

Cheers though guys, your opinions and advice are always helpful!

g'day lee mate, are you sure you want me out there? I tell you i'm cursed, where i go, the fish aren't...

but i remembered to change my profile pic.. didn't have any good ones of fish (read above) just my utes... maybe it's less scary than the snake?

• 2 months later...

Mate,

Take up someone on their kind offer and paddle one. Not just for 5 mins but at least half an hour or even better do a fishing trip just so you know what you need. While I know funds are tight, try hard to get the right thing first time so you don't have to pay twice.

Viking does some good yaks and the espri has a great rep as an all round value yak for the price.

For an absolute overload of info try AKFF site.

ive been looking at stuff like that even looked at inflatable boats like the sevylor hunter 280 and 380 - but yeah still havent got one but in the latest bcf cat there is a 1 man kayak for $250 i thik - had a look this morning and looks pretty stable - but im after something that can hold at leats 2 people

Archived