Nth Pine Dam 2/7/07

adventure_angler

First trip back to North Pine Dam in a number of weeks and I was very keen to feel the weight of a big bass on the end of my line. Armed with a range of sinking lures me and my mate Andrew ventured off in search of some likely fish holding banks. Found a good looking spot with all the signs of bass fishing grounds, steep banks and deep water.

We started flicking lures and it wasnt long until we knew we were in for a good session. The usual G-Vibes and Jackalls were used and were getting hit on the drop or within a few turns of the reel. The action occured in sharp bursts where a number of bass would be caught consecutively before a short quiet period. After failing to catch that elusive 50cm bass to this date I thought if I was going to crack it today would be the day. The bass were all larger than average and were putting on great energetic fights upon taking the lure. After catching a few high 40 bass I hooked onto something that felt alot bigger. It hit the lure and began running in the opposite direction, taking line with no troubles at all. I managed to turn its head and start bringing it slowly closer to the bank when to my dismay it busted off, taking my gold G-Vibe with it.

On went another gold G-Vibe and the action continued, but nothing as strong as \"the one that got away\" until I hooked onto another monster that took a strong run in the opposite direction before changing course and running from left to right horizontal to the bank. From previous snags earlier in the day we had found the location of a submerged tree and this bass was determined to run straight into it. I could feel the bass running straight through the branches before emerging on the other side and after a few tense moments the bass was landed. I called my mate and told him I thought I might have just cracked the 50 mark and upon placing the bass on the brag mat i was excited to see it not only beat my previous PB of 49cm fork but went 51.5cm fork. After so many trips I had finally managed to crack the milestone mark, couldnt be happier.

The bass was caught on a gold G-Vibe and 6lb braid.

My mate Andrew also managed a PB in the same afternoon session catching a 51cm yellowbelly. Two PB's in one afternoon, we couldnt believe it.

Not far from us another fisherman was flicking Strike Pro lures around and managed about 7 bass, one of which broke his PB.

The amount of surface action later in the afternoon was unbelievable with almost constant boils along the length of the bank we were working. I was tempted to bring out the popper but we decided to call it a day.

Total Tally:

Nelson: 15 bass, PB Bass 51.5cm fork.

Andrew: 7 bass, 1 yellowbelly, PB Yellowbelly 51cm.

-nelson-

We also decided to hit up the same spot the next morning and arrived at the dam at 5am in search of some more bass. Lets just say the action was dead in comparison to the afternoon before, however Andrew did manage to land 2 bass. One of these equalled his PB at 53cm fork, making 3 PB's in 2 days.

[img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fishing_photos_148_AFO.jpg

post-919-14459841991_thumb.jpg

Tim a wrote:

adventure_angler wrote:
hahahahaha

Note:

G-Vibes 15

Jackalls 8

this time... :P

my bad! Looked at it the wrong way around. Maybe andrew was totally wasted from the night before tho?

Yes Tim, Jackalls got beaten so Andrew must have had a hangover :P . If you're judging by that photo of him then I totally agree :silly: .

Troy

Archived