NPD and Baroon Pocket

Tim a

Hey guys,

Had 2 freshwater sessions this week.

On tuesday arvo I had a quickflick at North Pine where I got a few firsts. I got my first Yellow Belly from North Pine and I got my first Bass on a dive lure. The yellow was on a tn60 and the Bass was on an Sx60. Pretty good for a 45 minute session. And it was sooooo calm.

Today(thursday)

Today I met Will(Basskid) at Baroon pocket. We were greated at the dam by incredible winds, as some of you may know, crazy winds weren't gonna stop us kayaking and with Wills outta action we both loaded onto my kayak. After about 1 minute and several close calls we finally chucked it and capsized, luckily all of the gear was salvaged and we made it back to shore easy. Classic! After the freezing winds continued we decided to swap sides of the dam and fish land based. Something you don't often hear of at Baroon.

We started near the rockwall where we were greeted by tons of weed and seeing as this was my 1st time to Baroon I wasn't too confident. I was using a daiwa spinner bait. We started off on the start dam wall. The legal part. I hooked up to a nice bass which quickly buried me in weed but from Will's advice I just locked up the pixy's drag and reefed out my 1st Baroon Bass :cheer:

We continued along our way and found a very deep(and no weeed!! Rejoice!)Chucked out my spinnerbait full of confidence as I just knew there would be a bass down there. Let it hit the bottom (took about 25 seconds of freespool) then started the slow retrieve in, about 5 very slow turns of the handle(pixy has a slow gear ratio, perfect for bass!) and bam! Best ever bass hit followed by my best ever bass fight. I was dissapointed to only find a bass around 40-45cm FL come up from the depths tho. I think he fought so well because I had so much line out. It was awsome. Next cast and the spinner bait got snagged so I decided to try a new technique(for me) and use SP's. On goes the 1/4 ounce jighead with an ecogear Grass minnow. This just had Bass Eat Me! written all over it and after 3 casts of no luck I hooked up again. This one was a smaller version that if you had of hooked at NPD you would have thought you hooked a newspaper or something. Up he came and after Will's heroics to get him outta the rocks he swam off aswell.

For rest of the day we got nothing and the only highlight was a rather cold 50$ double jackall swim at the end for me. It was a wee bit cold!

Thanks must go to Will for showimg me around the awsome dam and it was great to meet you!, maybe next time we could pick some weather that won't blow the tits off a cow tho!

Thanks

Tim

First Yella From NPD [img size=455]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1st_yellow_belly_on_pixy.JPG

post-96-144598420237_thumb.jpg

HAhaha well done Timbo.

Dont be dissapointed with that fish, althoguh there are bigger fish in there, 40-45cm in baroon is a solid specimen. Plus as you seem to have just discovered, i believe that Baroon Bass fight better than NP pound for pound anyway.

Angus

Hey Tim,

yeah it was funny about the kayak capsizing with the gear hahahah my god it was cold, yeah once again sorry about only catchin you three cause last weekend i got 13 and my mate got 8 but once again congratulations.and next time your up i will definately ask for way better weather hahaha see you some other time Tim. cheers

BASSKID

basskid wrote:

Hey Tim,

yeah it was funny about the kayak capsizing with the gear hahahah my god it was cold, yeah once again sorry about only catchin you three cause last weekend i got 13 and my mate got 8 but once again congratulations.and next time your up i will definately ask for way better weather hahaha see you some other time Tim. cheers

BASSKID

haha it's all good ! It was your pro guiding that got me the fish in the first place, I always hear that a good guide knows where to go what ever the conditions and you pulled the goods! You still coming to npd on sunday?

basskid wrote:

Hey Tim,

BASSKID

G'day basskid. You weren't using your dodgy blowup yak were ya ?

Archived