Finally a Fish to honor my boat - Barwon Banks

crazywalrus

Went out with Dhess (Dom) on Friday after fishing everyday day for a week. The aim was to christen the boat after a week of small fish. We head up to Mooloolaba at 1.30am on Friday morning and head out in the dark through the treacherous Mooloolaba Bar (Not) and onto the Barwon Banks. We got there a little late and hit up one of Dom's Spots but the fish where not playing the game. The call was made to hit up another spot about 10km away and this spot produced. I few drifts and we where onto one of two fish a drift. I caught my first Pearl Perch and upgraded my PB Snapper to 63. Very happy boy at this stage. Things quietened down so we decided to troll for a bit however the Wahoo and Dollies where not around to play. :(

Dom suggested we try deeper water 80 to 100m and this is where we had some more fun. I caught another 50+ snapper and Dom was onto a good fish. Calling it for a Amberjack. The rod was bent over and pulling some drag. It faught him right up to the boat. We get colour and up comes a 76cm Snapper - what a good fight. Great day and good company. Thanks Dom for showing me around. I am totally hooked on this off shore stuff.

At the end of the day we had a great day

7 x Snapper

5 x Pearl Perch

5 x Pearl Perch (Dolphin)

Bloody Dolphin would grab each Pearl Perch and try to pull them off the hook. It would only hit the Pearlies as they where Easy to get off the hook would not hit the snapper.

post-7418-144598739322_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598739335_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598739344_thumb.jpg

post-7418-14459873935_thumb.jpg

post-7418-14459873936_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598739369_thumb.jpg

Mate Dropper, I tried to read it but the tears just kept welling up as the memories of our old adventures together came flooding back. You remember don't you ?...before you dropped me :(

Looks like that mother of a pearlie won't be missed by the school. It appears she would have been cranky with all the male pearlies :whistle: :side:

Shouldn't take you long to fillet - it's not very big :evil: :P:lol:

Nice snapper, Dom.

Was a great day, thats for sure. If anything it was too calm. Not a breath of wind nearly all day, made it a bit hot and uncomforable.

Was super impressed by Ted's boat for its awesome fishability and was surprised by how much shade the canvas top provides.

Unfortunately the the wahoo weren't around at their usual haunts, but the snapper and pearlies saved the day. We had to work pretty hard for them as the first few spots we tried early, we struggled to lose a bait. We didn't get a really reliable bite until we moved into 115m of water. Thankfully the current was almost non existent. Then we had to compete with the dolphins. That was a first for me as its usually sharks. Pretty funny seeing pearlies coming back pre scaled with a conical teeth marks in the shape of a dolphin beak. I tell you what those dolphins pull some drag. I think the score stood at us successfully getting 3 back with trhe dolphins stealing about 5.

Thanks ted for a great day, it has been way too long for me between offshore trips and will hopefully get my boat back out on the water over the next month or so.

Was a great day, thats for sure. If anything it was too calm. Not a breath of wind nearly all day, made it a bit hot and uncomforable.

Was super impressed by Ted's boat for its awesome fishability and was surprised by how much shade the canvas top provides.

Unfortunately the the wahoo weren't around at their usual haunts, but the snapper and pearlies saved the day. We had to work pretty hard for them as the first few spots we tried early, we struggled to lose a bait. We didn't get a really reliable bite until we moved into 115m of water. Thankfully the current was almost non existent. Then we had to compete with the dolphins. That was a first for me as its usually sharks. Pretty funny seeing pearlies coming back pre scaled with a conical teeth marks in the shape of a dolphin beak. I tell you what those dolphins pull some drag. I think the score stood at us successfully getting 3 back with trhe dolphins stealing about 5.

Thanks ted for a great day, it has been way too long for me between offshore trips and will hopefully get my boat back out on the water over the next month or so.

Next time Dom the Wahoo will be there. Thanks for coming out with me and showing me your spots.

Well done mate

Nice snapper you got there.

I want to go out of mooloolaba soon but got no one to go with.

Let me know when you go out next.

Shane

Will do

Mate Dropper, I tried to read it but the tears just kept welling up as the memories of our old adventures together came flooding back. You remember don't you ?...before you dropped me :(

Looks like that mother of a pearlie won't be missed by the school. It appears she would have been cranky with all the male pearlies :whistle: :side:

Shouldn't take you long to fillet - it's not very big :evil: :P:lol:

Nice snapper, Dom.

sorry Brian it is me not you - I thik we should see other people :whistle:

At least I eat my fish when I fillet them :evil:

great day to go out there Ted, Dom and I have found that its harder to fish out there when its still like that, How did the boat go economy wise for the distance?

The economy is great. out to the banks and back and running around there was 65 litres

Give me some notice next time and we can get a couple of boats out there and a few more of the guys.

will do Davey - maybe jump in my boat some time as well?

Good way to break in the boat Ted the mackerel are just starting to come on down the coast if you get a chance my mates down there have done well lately i would like to see some mackerel blood sprayed around in that boat :whistle:

Thanks Mark - I got to blood the decks with some small Dollies Yesterday. More blood the better I reckon.

Archived