Barwon Banks with Bi-Polar and Aussie123

crazywalrus

The call was made on the weekend to head up to Mooloolaba on Saturday night at 12am and hit up the banks again. Aussie123(Lance) arrived at my place at 11.30pm and the boat was loaded up and we where off. Picked up Bi-Polar from the Cotton Tree Camp site and we hit the water. Head out to the bar and it was a little windier than we expected and I realized I had left the Pillies in the Car :blush: so a quick about turn and we had the bait. Gee I am happy I remembered then. :blink: A little deliberation over the wind with a quick check of the BOM and we set off again.

The trip out to the banks was a bit rough and windy for the first 20km but it settled down to a great day. We hit up Shane69's bait mark but we could not find the Marker. I think it may have been removed lately. No Live bait so we continued on. Hit up the same Mark that Dom (dhess) and I had success on Friday but the fish had moved on. :S

Hit up some great looking ground and ground out a mixed bag but no Snapper. I landed a nice Red throat Emperor and I was hoping it was going to be a good day. It was not long and Stu was onto a nice Pearlie. Well that was it for the two of us. Lance took over then and was making us very red faced. He landed a great mixed bag of Reefies.

The bag was

1 x Red Throat

2 x Fusiler

1 x Mouri Cod

1 x Trevally

post-7418-144598740042_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598740404_thumb.jpg

We also caught a Red Tuskie? Maybe Wrasse? Anybody help. There was much deliberation with the guys calling it for a Coronation Trout but for me the teeth and shape where wrong.

post-7418-144598740411_thumb.jpg

On the way home we saw a School of Dollies breaking the surface and a quick rig up we worked a small patch of floating weed and we where on straight away. I was chuffed as this was my first dollie. They where not big but legal and they gave a great fight on the 10lb line with their aerial jumps and tall walks. Gee they are a beautiful fish and taste even better. :woohoo:

post-7418-144598740417_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598740425_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598740432_thumb.jpg

Great way to put more blood in the boat :woohoo:

Thanks for reading. Ted

Looks like you had a mad trip mate.

That mark i have is about year old. i have not being out that way in a while. I dont have anyone to go with. Let me know when you go again il bring my boat too.

Im heading out to palm beach this saturday to chase some pelagics you should come mate. Weathers looking good atm. Hopefully get a few spanish, kinda bored of spotties in bay atm.

Shane

Good work Ted and co. Whats the legal size on those mahi's?

They are 50cm and a bag of 5 - pretty small hey

Looks like you had a mad trip mate.

That mark i have is about year old. i have not being out that way in a while. I dont have anyone to go with. Let me know when you go again il bring my boat too.

Im heading out to palm beach this saturday to chase some pelagics you should come mate. Weathers looking good atm. Hopefully get a few spanish, kinda bored of spotties in bay atm.

Shane

will do Shane. I will think about Palmy. I have the boys so i may need something with more regular action than there.

Another great day out Ted, nice one. Don't suppose you've got a decky spot available sometime this week bar Friday :whistle:

hmmm probably not this week mate. I already have a full boat on Wednesday and that is the only fishing day this week.

Will shot you a PM when I have a free spot Ant.

Think its a pig fish ted? elops will know im not too sure tho if it is there bloody good chewin ! will hit you up for a decky one day mate

Cheers

Thanks for the ID - no probs mate let me know when you are free.

Nice work on the dolphin fish, do they just hang around any debris in the water? ie is it worth taking a palm branch or soemthing biodegradeable out and hanging it out 100m or so off the back of the boat with some string/line and waiting for dolphin fish to show up whilst you fish for others?

I'm keen for that popping session when you are ready, ill crank out a bit of practise soon.

Did you keep the fusilier? i hear they are a pretty good live bait

jeez you are getting good mileage out of her, must be pretty damn good on fuel to be getting out almost everyday!

Yeah I am out a fair bit at the moment. I do not worry about the money thing it will all work out in the end. :unsure:

Nice work on the dolphin fish, do they just hang around any debris in the water? ie is it worth taking a palm branch or soemthing biodegradeable out and hanging it out 100m or so off the back of the boat with some string/line and waiting for dolphin fish to show up whilst you fish for others?

I'm keen for that popping session when you are ready, ill crank out a bit of practise soon.

According to Lance and Stu they will hang around any bit of debris. I am not sure if you dropped a FAD on the same day if it would work. I reckon it would take a few days for the bait fish to congregate on it.

I am keen for the session mate. I have to finish the wiring to the bow mount for this. Will try and hook up with On-The-Chew or Plastic Fantastic to show us the ropes. Will let you know when it is ready.

When the dolphin fish are in the area it is usually only overnight and you will get them under a set of floats or any type of fad setup.

Anything that floats or drifts just under the surface is prime habitat for dollies.

The fish yesterday were sitting under a clump of floating weed that was maybe a meter round but I have caught them under floats, floating drums,trees,sticks or branches,weed,sheets of plastic and an old boat seat cushion.

Not having a go at anyone, but I've not seen dollies that small before. I'm guessing they're only a month or two old ?

Anyway I keep looking at the pic of Ted clutching one to his chest and thinking they'd have to be a good troll bait for something ? Opinions / Experiences ?

LOL,they were very small tackers and would have been perfect troll baits for marlin,spanish or wahoo.

Archived