berkley fireline exceed review

Joel Eadie

on my way to a fishing trip there was no fins 6lb available so decided to give

berkley fireline exceed a go...

post-6557-144598776346_thumb.jpg

in short, not a fan. it is very stiff (even still after hours of casting) and frays easily. does not cast exceptionally well either.

at $30 for 150yrs, IMHO not worth it and should have gone elsewhere to find fins

thats my experience anyway. maybe you have had a better one with it.

Interesting, I found it to be quite supple but you are right about the fraying, ditched it from my spools because it kept breaking.

possibly seems stiff to me as i am comparing to 6month old fins braid. does mean you don't get it wind knots as much. i might have to ditch it too.

haha that sucks jordon, might be alright for a few sessions

on my way to a fishing trip there was no fins 6lb available so decided to give

berkley fireline exceed a go...

[attachment=48555]BerkleyFirelineTournamentExceed1.jpg[/attachment]

in short, not a fan. it is very stiff (even still after hours of casting) and frays easily. does not cast exceptionally well either.

at $30 for 150yrs, IMHO not worth it and should have gone elsewhere to find fins

thats my experience anyway. maybe you have had a better one with it.

I agree, it's rubbish, I used 6 through to 30lb and the orange ran off the heavier line, dyed everything orange and that was super stiff line as well. Won't be on my reels ever again

The only thing that Berkley can get right is their lures, which arent too bad. Exceed is Crap! same experience as the above.

I now use Toray Radius. $60 for 200m. 8lb at 0.6 diameter. fine as a string of cotton and very soft. Extremely happy with it and can see myself using it for a very long time.

cheers

My mate has the 14lb and has been having nothing but dramas with it, I bought a stradic and bcf had bugger all braid left in stock so I had no choice but to get exceed in 6lb. I've had no issues at all but have only used it for one session. The worst braid I've used was the grey fireline, that stuff was super stiff and I hated it.

After readingn this thread I'm going to go get some more braid in case the exceed shows the faults mentioned.

Pancakesnhaggis wrote

its tough as goats nuts

Hahaha! exactly how tough is a goats nut? :P

Never been a fan of Berkley braids, not saying they're all the same as I know some people swear by 2lb fireline.

Sunline PE, toray radius, castaway, rock fish... and recently frog pe have served me well.

+1 on the dying everything orange!

and +1 on the randomly freying and snapping,

i had the 6lb and ditched it a long time ago, thought it might just be the lighter stuff so tried a heavier one and it was the same, better of spending a few extra bucks and gettig a better braid

Never tried Exeed hate orange,red and yellow line.

Love Fireline old stuff (only use smoke) and Crystal trust it 100%, wind knots etc. blame yourself or the reels crap line management. Knots never have a problem only use Albright variations for leader whatever the combination.

Each to there own I guess, I actually really like this line. It is stiff for the first few sessions but after that I have had no dramas what so ever. Thumbs up for me.

You really want a frustrating line try using Fluro straight through, its great after a while but man it takes some getting used to.

Archived