Banter and then there is Banter

crazywalrus

Hey guys - over the last few months there have been a number of contributors on here that have been somewhat antagonistic towards each other and take every opportunity to have a dig and a stir. This is effecting people's threads and taking them off topic. There is nothing wrong with some friendly debate and banter but this stuff is personal and does not contribute to the site. For god Sake people grow up, this stuff is school yard rubbish. Just my opinion.

I was just thinking this morning of this topic Ted, and I agree. It seems people are more interested in rubbishing each other, than they are in talking about fishing, reporting about fishing and what not. I know a few blokes from the site that don't report anymore, due to this issue. IMO it does nothing but hurt the site.

banter

Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful, intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery of British yesteryear.

"You, sir, are drunk"

"Maybe so but you are ugly and I will be sober in the morning"

"Good banter sir"

banter

Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful, intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery of British yesteryear.

"You, sir, are drunk"

"Maybe so but you are ugly and I will be sober in the morning"

"Good banter sir"

Hmmm sometimes it is better to say nothing. Just because you have a beef with someone does not mean everybody wants to watch and read about it. Leave it off the forum

Ted, I think I am probably one of the offenders even if in a small way, I think my overall contrabution to AFO has been a possitive one. I guess it can be hard sometimes when you get frustrated with individual people who egagerate or lie or whos comments paint you in an unfavourable light. (my opinion) and then who are unwilling to resolve the issue with you in person.

But you are right the forum is not the place to put the spurs in,

Brad

I have an answer to it all but it will never happen is you just don't talk politics, alot of people have strong views on politics and some can't help themselves from name calling and belittling others when it comes to it.

I left another forum because of the swearing and names calling directed at me after i entered a post talking politics i'm not thin skinned but i don't need to be told i'm this and that through a internet site i would like to see some of them tell me to my face.

So far this site is no where near as bad but i am still getting used to cyber chat rather than face to face debate (still a bit old school). What you need to understand is that if you don't know the person real well your not sure how they mean some things which is just typed words with no face to face expresion.

With politics there are alot of people like me who will never be swing voters so they will always side with there side of politics and have very strong views and some will try to push that down your throat so just have your say and leave it at that, dont fall into the trap of getting baited all the time

If you don't know by now i'm a died in the wool labour man till the day i die so don't bother trying to change me you'll waste your typing fingers

Yep my old man wont even talk to my father in law any more because he's a monarchist and a liberal and always wants to talk politics, I was taught, dont talk politics and religion with people and always vote labour and if you have something to say about someone say it to them haha

I do agree with what your saying though tugger, things can be taken the wrong way online or in text messages ext. Ive found most things can be worked out with a pretty frank chat even if its heated.

Im all for keeping this site as what its knows for, open honest people willing to lend a hand and help other people expierience the stuff we love, and eating chicken.

mmmmmm spit roast chicken aagghhhhh

Yep my old man wont even talk to my father in law any more because he's a monarchist and a liberal and always wants to talk politics, I was taught, dont talk politics and religion with people and always vote labour and if you have something to say about someone say it to them haha

I do agree with what your saying though tugger, things can be taken the wrong way online or in text messages ext. Ive found most things can be worked out with a pretty frank chat even if its heated.

Im all for keeping this site as what its knows for, open honest people willing to lend a hand and help other people expierience the stuff we love, and eating chicken.

It'd be nice to think that not talking politics would solve forum clashes.

Fact is politics is low down on the clash ladder. Members are more likely to clash over the best braid type stuff or C&R Vs C&F lol.

I'm glad we can talk about whatever we want. The trick is for members to be mature enough to realise everyone is entitled to their opinion including lefties (rofl). If you want to state your why you disagree, you must remember not to make it a personal attack. Attack the substance not the person.

You only need to have a look at the viewers in a thread if there is a debate going on - member's love it.

The loss of expression in text is a BIG cause of blues. Emoticons can help, but even then mis-reads happen.

The best answer is to hit the Report to Moderator button if you're offended. One of us will either tell you are right or not in interpreting the rules. :)

Not too long ago, this was a forum about fishing, where the fishing reports out-weighed those of other natures. These days, it seems blokes would rather argue about contentious issues that may or may not relate to fishing. Pretty sad really.
yes, I said ages ago that we should keep it to fishing, I am sure Greg (booty) considers myself as one of the "undesirables" however I can't ever remember seeing a fishing related post from Booty, or Shortie :unsure: lets just keep this forum to fishing, as Brad said, you start talking politics and religion, and things get nasty, evidenced by the "banter" over the last couple of months on this forum. Thanks to Ellicat for all his hard work moderating.

Yeah this is a fishing forum. I use this for the sole reason to find out fishing reports,fishing related info and get views on tackle and hear of new boat/fishing rules. I'm not sure why people want to come on here and talk anything else other than these things. Posting up threads that you know will stir emotions actually makes you worse than the person who takes an opposing view and speaks their mind.who cares about other people political or religious views, grow up. If its not about the boating or fishing industry keep it off the site or join a forum that talks about religion etc.

I think we should have threads about sensitive issues, if its not your cup of tea DONT click on it and read it !! plain and simple no one is forcing you to read it just as I see threads on here that are what I consider rubbish yet I don't get on my high horse complaining about it demanding it be locked or removed. There are much much worse things to worry about than things being written on the Internet.

cheers

I think we should have threads about sensitive issues, if its not your cup of tea DONT click on it and read it !! plain and simple no one is forcing you to read it just as I see threads on here that are what I consider rubbish yet I don't get on my high horse complaining about it demanding it be locked or removed. There are much much worse things to worry about than things being written on the Internet.

cheers

Beau you hit the nail on the head there mate. This forum grew far beyond my ability to read every thread... An extremely large amount of work load lately has made time and how i use it even more of a problem. With this in mind... If I even get a whiff that a thread is not something I am interested in, or its going south... I read something else. Its just so easy to do and with no replies, idiotic threads drop off the recent activities stream within an hour. Its frustrating when for whatever reason (working so they live for example) admin or mods have not been on all day and thread has gone crazy. What is infinitely more annoying is the realization that thread has only been kept alive and active by the people disagreeing with the original point.. Irony at its best.

Angus

P.S: There is an admin meeting tomorrow night (the funnest way to spend a Friday evening) and I will propose the notion of a couple of new Mods. I still believe this should not be required if people where not so sensitive or easily provoked to nonsense.

Lets fish.

Not too long ago, this was a forum about fishing, where the fishing reports out-weighed those of other natures. These days, it seems blokes would rather argue about contentious issues that may or may not relate to fishing. Pretty sad really.
yes, I said ages ago that we should keep it to fishing, I am sure Greg (booty) considers myself as one of the "undesirables" however I can't ever remember seeing a fishing related post from Booty, or Shortie :unsure: lets just keep this forum to fishing, as Brad said, you start talking politics and religion, and things get nasty, evidenced by the "banter" over the last couple of months on this forum. Thanks to Ellicat for all his hard work moderating.

Haines, there are no rules that stipulate threads or posts have to be fishing related. Personally I think to do so would be absolutely ridiculous and kill the site quicker than a power outage.

One aspect AFO has always tried to maintain is the culture and community. One aspect of this can quite often be the general chit-chat threads. As such, I personally don't ever imagine seeing a requirement for threads to be 100% fishing related.

Well i think you are all a bunch a Calvinistic,Protestant pope lovin,liberal voting, Julia loving, greenies.

Having got that off my chest have a good day and dont forget the aeroguard.

( Aeroguard is also a good b/s repellant.}

Cheers

Ray.

It's Kelvin, not Calvin you silly old bugger so leave me alone ................... :P

Haines, there are no rules that stipulate threads or posts have to be fishing related. Personally I think to do so would be absolutely ridiculous and kill the site quicker than a power outage.

One aspect AFO has always tried to maintain is the culture and community. One aspect of this can quite often be the general chit-chat threads. As such, I personally don't ever imagine seeing a requirement for threads to be 100% fishing related.

I agree. If it wasn't for the car category I wouldn't have been able to work out what was wrong with the triton. Sometimes it's good to have the extra threads so if you need to know something, you can post up the question and hope one of the other members knows the answer.

Interesting..... 2 possible outcomes, can all the thread headings on here that are not fishing related, or those who only want to read fishing stuff go to a forum that deals exclusively in fishing

Problem solved.

That's the beauty of the Forum - there are different categories.

Everyone is able to click in the Fishing forum and look at the fishing related threads.

The challenge is just for Henry, Brian and I to keep the Freshwater section (and other categories) clear of off-topic/misplaced threads :lol:

Topics on cars, and dogs don't invoke passionate reactions like topics regarding politics and religion do. Politics ruins forums, go and look at ski.com.au, whole page is political garbage, not ski-ing, used to be the best forum for ski-ing around. This forum is heading that way. I don't want to see that as the forum I joined had report of the month comps, lets go fishing posts, and plenty of good stuff with no political "banter" it was one of the things that made me fall in love with AFO so quickly.

Angus, as one of the owners of the site, you should know that all the political nonsense, turns people off, I am not the only one, but I am one of the only ones that is willing to say it on the forum. Hope everyone has a great weekends fishing B)

I honestly enjoy reading most of the non-fishing posts. All I was trying to say is that the focus seems to have shifted off fishing, and on to more volatile subjects. Is anything argued on here going to change anything? I don't think so. So what is the point? I am sure there are better suited forums out there which love this sort of thing eg: pickeringpost. This forum is a fantastic tool for both networking and fishing, let's not abuse it with personal grudges and implied slights.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Topics on cars, and dogs don't invoke passionate reactions like topics regarding politics and religion do. Politics ruins forums, go and look at ski.com.au, whole page is political garbage, not ski-ing, used to be the best forum for ski-ing around. This forum is heading that way. I don't want to see that as the forum I joined had report of the month comps, lets go fishing posts, and plenty of good stuff with no political "banter" it was one of the things that made me fall in love with AFO so quickly.

Angus, as one of the owners of the site, you should know that all the political nonsense, turns people off, I am not the only one, but I am one of the only ones that is willing to say it on the forum. Hope everyone has a great weekends fishing B)

Haines, I've read plenty of political, etc posts that I've strongly disagreed with but haven't responded/replied with a 'passionate reaction' once. If more simply bit their tongue or didn't read it in the first place (if they thought it may lead them to 'bite' the forum would be a friendlier place - although I still think overall it is a very friendly community we have going. Just my two cents.

Archived