Thoughts on Polycraft Boats

billp

Hey Guys,

Saw these at the boat show, and haven't really noticed them before. What are peoples thoughts who have owned them?

Haven't seen many 2nd hand ones for sale and no bad reviews, so either people love them and don't get rid of them, or people hate them and don't bother buying them.

I really like the look of the 5.3 Warrior Centre Console, very open and minimalistic.

If anyone does own one, I would really like to have a ride if possible as well to get a feel for what they are like. I know its asking a lot but you don't get anything without asking. :) Bill.

Ive been in the 4.1 Challenger model and the ride is quite good, a bit better than a tinny of the same size. They are set out pretty well, which is good as there is not much customization you would be able to, obviously because the boat is moulded. I have heard they are very tough, but cant comment on that as the one i was in was 1 week old at the time.

Hey - I have not rid in one but Nog has one and I think he is happy with them. I imagine they are heavier than Al but that probably improves the ride.

Thanks, did you ever consider going down this road rather than building your custom boat? A custom plate boat is what I was leaning towards, but the dollars start to get up there.

Ive been in the 4.1 Challenger model and the ride is quite good, a bit better than a tinny of the same size. They are set out pretty well, which is good as there is not much customization you would be able to, obviously because the boat is moulded. I have heard they are very tough, but cant comment on that as the one i was in was 1 week old at the time.

Cool, I have read much the same on their reviews, little to no noise and handle the chop well. Wonder what they are like in following seas, if they breach or not.

That bloke "Gesty" the Pirtek guy gave a review on a 4.1 tiller steer and he raved about them. He customised his with rod lockers, casting deck, electric, the works! Because they are heavier than a tinny they ride better. Due to the plastic construction I would imagine they would be tough as all hell and you wouldn't get that slapping you get with a tinny. you would need a few more HP to push it along though so a bit dearer.

I am a big fan!

My 2 cents!

Hey - I have not rid in one but Nog has one and I think he is happy with them. I imagine they are heavier than Al but that probably improves the ride.

Thanks, did you ever consider going down this road rather than building your custom boat? A custom plate boat is what I was leaning towards, but the dollars start to get up there.

I did have a bit of a look at them but I was not personally comfortable with the plastic construction. I am pretty tough on boats and did not want to be concerned about putting a hole in it. Also the hull I got a was well priced.

A work mate of mine has had two 6m ones and both split along the keel, he only had the 2nd one as it was the waranty replacement for the first when that one split he did not want another. He lived on Thursday Island at the time and Poly would not cover the transport costs, he has a cruise craft outsider now.

I ride in a 4.5m side console one regularly. My uncle had the model your wanting he has it for under a year and sold it as he hated it. . They are slow boats, max hp on the 4.5 model is too low for it in my opinion. I think they flex too much for my liking. They are however tough, almost maintenance free and quiet hulls. Ticks the boxed if your not a boat savvy person

awesome boat imo. very low maintane nothing to really upgrade other than an electric. set out awesome so much room. you do get more wet than in a tinny but in the river that hardly happens. they are way stronger than tinnys but. hit a massive log out at the mouth at about 25 knots and we thought we had put a hole in the boat went and check it not a mark. not even an indent. they look like crap but they are mad boats.

Have a 06 4.1 tiller almost 5000 hours on the motorguide, 190 hrs on the first motor a yammy 30, 580 hrs on the current e tec 40. Have not broken it yet. Quiet, very stable, zero maintenance no wetter than an ally 4.1 pointy nose punt and a much softer ride.

• 3 weeks later...

As Ted says, I've got the 4.55 Centre Console. For their size they are extremely seaworthy if not a bit pedestrian in performance. Mine has a 50 Suzi 4str on it, would be better with a 60. WOT 53klm one up, 45 two up. Cruise on 35 klm @4800.

I love it, I abuse the crap out of it, it's quiet (good for sneaking up on Tunny:)), doesn't jar my back like a tinnie due to twin skin hull. I've done some mods to get it to perform a bit better like spray chines on the front and trim tabs.

I'm not a fruitcake like Ted...just kidding, but at only 4.5m it would be uncomfortable, but I've heard of many guys fishing out wide.

I go off Bribie out to the shipping channels and Moreton Is. and Hervey Bay on the Western side of Fraser, no worries.

Archived