Kapten boat collar

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

I took it out for a test on Saturday with very mixed results.

Went across south passage bar from Manly in sloppy north easterly conditions and out to boat rock.

The positives are it is very very stable and gets on the plane easy.

The negatives are that it cavitates badly and I can't get any trim or turn quickly which is just scary as you don't have the power or control you need for bar crossing.

So I have spoken to Pat from Kapten and Solas props and the first step is to go from a 14 pitch prop to a 12 pitch with tight cupping.

It has potential I'm sure but they way it is now is dangerous.

Do you think the extra surface area is pushing the hull out of the water more when on the plane? Would dropping the motor down lower in the water help with reducing cavitation?

This was exactly my first thought but both Solas and the boat collar bloke think I should do the prop first and it wont cost much as Solas will take my other prop back as bought it from them

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, interested to ask about these collars. Yours seems to have been fitted differently to others. There seems to be plugs all the way thru the collar that pull it against the hull from the outside as apposed to metal plates glued in the foam. Am I looking at this correctly ?? If so, is this how they told you to install it or maybe its because you have a glass boat ??

Hi, interested to ask about these collars. Yours seems to have been fitted differently to others. There seems to be plugs all the way thru the collar that pull it against the hull from the outside as apposed to metal plates glued in the foam. Am I looking at this correctly ?? If so, is this how they told you to install it or maybe its because you have a glass boat ??

Hi mate and welcome.

Yeah they installed and put the screws from the outside into the plate as well as the internal screws,as it is heavy being an old glass boat.

I still have not tried the new prop but will this weekend

quick follow up,have you seen or heard of anyone else who has put these collar on their boat and their unbiased opinion on how the perform for the money needed to be spent ?? Also if it not a rude question to ask, but what did it cost for the fitting of the collar ?? Love to hear how the weekend testing with the new prop goes.

Heya Mal

That collar looks like it may be making the stern of your vessel ride much higher in the water than

it used to.

Hopefully a prop change will help but If not I would think you are going to have to lower your motor to get it back down to where it was prior to fitting the collar.

Other option maybe would be to raise the collar so the stern is not using it as a planing plank while traveling and it only comes into play at lower revs off the plane and at rest.

Fun little project to get it right. :P

• 2 months later...
I have only had it out in the river since the prop and it was much better.

I will be testing properly over xmas

Hi Mal

How are you going with this collar? I'm seriously thinking of getting them fitted on my boat.

How does the boat run with a following sea now you have them fitted? Can you hit the swell a bit harder without fear of broaching?

Archived